The Joys of Autumn comutting

The news and your views about biking
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

The Joys of Autumn comutting

Post by Kwacky »

I lost count today of the number of drivers who switched lanes at the last second, without indicating or indicating as they started their move.

Loads of misted up rear windows.

Despite it being dark, grey and wet about a third were driving without lights on.

And have drivers stopped saying thank you for letting them out? 3 times I let someone out or move lanes and none of them said thanks.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Re: The Joys of Autumn comutting

Post by Perkles »

the traffic in brum is really bad at the moment,they plan to do a year of road works in the chinese 1/4 and its having a big knock on effect through the tunnels
R34PER
Your Bike: Yamaha XJ6-N

Post by R34PER »

Perkles wrote:the traffic in brum is really bad at the moment,they plan to do a year of road works in the chinese 1/4 and its having a big knock on effect through the tunnels
I start uni back up in a week and I didn't want to hear that as I have to go right into the middle of brum plus I sold my bike to get a car so I can see long winter days on the roads this winter :(
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

R34PER wrote:
Perkles wrote:the traffic in brum is really bad at the moment,they plan to do a year of road works in the chinese 1/4 and its having a big knock on effect through the tunnels
I start uni back up in a week and I didn't want to hear that as I have to go right into the middle of brum plus I sold my bike to get a car so I can see long winter days on the roads this winter :(
ive done that commute in a car for the last 19 years and its never been as bad as it is now,i hate the tunnels the queue goes back to spaghetti junction recently.My new job is working from home so its going to save me at least 2 1/2 hours stuck in traffic every day
can t you use the train ?
Last edited by Perkles on 14 Sep 2015, 09:37, edited 1 time in total.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

They've re-opened the Expressway so it's back to a contra-flow system. It doesn't work as both sides are gridlocked.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

The plain fact is there are too many vehicles on our roads.

Centre of Brum should be a vehicle free zone or they should introduce a fair way of charging for driving into the city centre. Its the only way to change things.

I had to drive into the centre of Birmingham last Wednesday late afternoon and it was a complete and utter nightmare and made me wonder if its worth the effort anymore.
R34PER

Post by R34PER »

Perkles wrote:
R34PER wrote:
ive done that commute in a car for the last 19 years and its never been as bad as it is now,i hate the tunnels the queue goes back to spaghetti junction recently.My new job is working from home so its going to save me at least 2 1/2 hours stuck in traffic every day
can t you use the train ?
I could use the train but it works out a fair bit more expensive than driving even with season tickets as I'm outside of all of the cheap rate areas. I have been toying with the idea of putting a bicycle in the boot of the car and parking up somewhere on the outskirts and cycling the rest of the way to campus. The way I bat traffic last year though was to drive in before everybody else left the house but I was usually arriving about 2 hours or so too early so I got my head down in the car once I arrived.
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

Glad I don't really have to go into any major city centres. My commute isn't too bad despite the 30+ mile distance.

I've started planning my purchases for Autumn/winter.

I need, heated grips, new textiles, new boots, new gloves

maybe also hand guards.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

It took me 3 1/2 hours to get to Warrington from Birmingham this morning a 1 1/2 of that was to get out of Brum.The road infrastructure is terrible
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Perkles wrote:It took me 3 1/2 hours to get to Warrington from Birmingham this morning a 1 1/2 of that was to get out of Brum.The road infrastructure is terrible
Holy crap! That's a hell of a commute.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
R34PER

Post by R34PER »

Perkles wrote:It took me 3 1/2 hours to get to Warrington from Birmingham this morning a 1 1/2 of that was to get out of Brum.The road infrastructure is terrible
I feel your pain. it took me over an hour to get out of brum on the way home from uni Monday. I'm thinking i'll stick a bike in the boot of the car and try and park on the outskirts tomorrow.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Manchester is the same.

We use public transport a lot to access the city which in fairness is very good tbh.
R34PER

Post by R34PER »

Public transport is so expensive though. I looked into using the train, it's no quicker than the car and costs 3X as much too. I think I need to buy another bike to commute on.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I was barely able to see this morning, the autumn sun is right at eye level for most of my trip into work.
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

R34PER wrote:Public transport is so expensive though.
A mate of mine commutes into london from ampthill every day , he's worked it out it would be quicker and less expensive if he moved to Devon and flew in from Exeter airport to the City airport every day.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Blade wrote:
We use public transport a lot to access the city which in fairness is very good tbh.
Just need to roll that out to every other major city and town across the UK!!