Test rode the latest DVT Multistrada today.

The news and your views about biking
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Test rode the latest DVT Multistrada today.

Post by duke63 »

Bike was a 1200S with the semi active suspension.

I didnt take it out for too long but did use the same raods i rode my Multi in on.

Thoughts are:

The engine is a corker. Smoother than mine but with an induction roar similar to the Panigales. Pulls like a train, though doesn't feel quite as fast as mine but i think that's down to it being much smoother. The speedo said my mind was playing tricks. :D

Colour dash is very nice and loads of info but they are prone to scratches.

The suspension is superb. Loads of feedback, firm when you want it but still smooths out all the bumps.

The electronics keep everything nicely under control even when opening the throttle wide and fast.

Handling is a bit quicker than mine and turns very nicely indeed.

Now the bad bit: The seat is a big step backwards in my opinion. A lot of people complained that the earlier Multis were too high, so they have lowered the seat and lost that lovely high-up position which gives you a commanding view of the road. Its not as comfy either. The height is adjustable though it involves fitting a rail underneath the seat. The seat was on the low position but the adjusters were not available to fit and have to confess that the seat was poorly made and thought through probably to appease all the short arses in the world. :D

If they fix the seat I would buy one. everything about if other than that is better but its a very important part of the bike to me. As it is I might keep hold of mine for another year and await the updated version.
2015-08-22 16.17.17.jpg
2015-08-22 16.17.22.jpg
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Test rode the latest DVT Multistrada today.

Post by Kwacky »

I see it's got those horrid side reflectors. I'm guessing you need those later on for the MOT.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

That i'm not sure on but its a Euro 4 requirement so all new bikes will have them from January 2017.

They are stuck on with double sided tape and a few Multi owners have removed them with a piece of fishing line, some glue remover and lots of elbow grease.

When does the new 4 year timescale for an MOT announced in the last budget start?
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Is there another version next year Duke ? You.mention waiting for the updated version.

I m sure some one like caulfield leather could fix the seat issue. They did a sterling job fitting the gel insert in mine.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Not sure. I thought the government said they were still looking into it?

The bike sounds refined. Do you think Ducati will offer an aftermarket seat for it?
duke63

Post by duke63 »

There is a Ducati/Touratech seat offered as an option apparently. The bike is more refined than mine and the electronics are superb. Everything is so totally under control all the time. Whether that is a completely a good thing or not I'm not quite sure. Certainly makes it very easy to ride fast.

Blade, in recent years Ducati have updated their important bikes every two years. This bike has lots of new technology on it and going by their experiences with the earlier Multi and the Panigale and Diavel you would think they would make the necessary improvements fairly quickly in what is becoming the most competitive part of the bike market.

I really liked it but the seat would have to be improved for me to make the change.

I love sitting up so high with that commanding view on my bike. I will try it again when i can have the seat fixed in the high position.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Sounds a good bike Duke and impressive that Ducati are updating every 2 years. The Japanese manufacturers could learn a thing or too from Ducati, especially Honda with the Blade which apart from a few tweeks in 2012 is a 2008 model bike.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Clearly they are opening up to a new market to the guys who want one but can't reach the floor which is good in a way as I'm sure it will appeal to a fair few guys and girls in this world
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

That seat does look oddly low.... Nice package that. What do they cost?
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

Im gonna ask homologation about the reflector law. Ot heard anything about it
kingfixer
Your Bike: 2019 Aprilia Dorsoduro 900

Post by kingfixer »

I haven't bothered test riding the new DVT yet, TBH i'm enjoying my current Multi so much what's the point in changing. My only concern is what happens when it runs out of warranty ?
https://gmrprojects.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Sell it or buy an extended warranty?

Blade has one on his zx10r and I'll be extending the warranty on my SX.
kingfixer
Your Bike: 2019 Aprilia Dorsoduro 900

Post by kingfixer »

looking on the Ducati forum, I think there is a problem with getting an extended warranty, Maybe Duke can clarify he seems to know everything Ducati.
https://gmrprojects.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
duke63

Post by duke63 »

They have stopped doing extended warranties currently. It was said to be a legal issue with the company providing the cover ( even though it was factory backed) but there is no info on anything new to replace it.

My extended warranty runs out next June so that was why i have started looking at options but currently I have not seen anything that makes me want to replace the Multi. I might try a Hypermotard at some point but with all new bikes having to be Euro 4 compliant from January 2017 I suspect that this time next year there will be some real bargains out there on new bikes as currently the new Multi is the only available Euro 4 compliant bike as far as I am aware.