Well wasn't expecting this!

The news and your views about biking
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Well wasn't expecting this!

Post by Rossgo »

So today went out with my dad. As soon as I got down my road I realised something wasn't right, it felt very bouncy! I got down the road stopped at a set of traffic lights and asked my dad what have you done?! Thinking he's loosened the rear shock settings or something. He replied nothing, he didn't touch it. This made me feel a tad worried.

Got to the petrol station and found oil over my rear tyre and all over my shock!

Bloody marvellous I thought, no wonder why I was bouncing up and down over relatively smooth roads! Luckily was only a few mins away from my house so turned back and went home

Anyway so now I am in need of a new rear shock. However my mind is now all over the place considering all the possibilities, unfortunately not having the money for a great piece of kit that has everything

So my question is will on a new modern basic rear shock be ok on a 10 year old bike, instead of having a shock that has all the bells and whistles? Funds are tight

Am considering one of these

https://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/catalog/ ... tno=M61051" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Really don't know whether this would feel too soft for the type of bike I've got.

I only ride fast roads

I'm at a lose so much choice!!

Any help will be greatly received as I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people here that can offer advice on this matter

Many Thanks
Perkles
Your Bike:

Re: Well wasn't expecting this!

Post by Perkles »

Hagon are a low budget shock but ok,I had one on my Ducati monster and it worked
Try maxton they are good and don't cost the earth
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Your model bike was raced a lot, which means there will be loads of good quality second hand shocks about. Just make sure you know when it was last serviced and how many miles its done.

Lucky escape that.

http://www.motoforum.net/topic/111029-r ... r+%2Bshock" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.motoforum.net/topic/108641-c ... r+%2Bshock" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.motoforum.net/topic/107596-c ... r+%2Bshock" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Cheers guys. I've messaged Maxton to get a quote. But budget is key as don't have the funds for much more! Although don't want to mess up the handling, it's a real balancing act.

Unsure whether the basic will be as good as 10 year old technology, if so them would be happy to just get some cheap! Of this was a new bike then I would happily pay more on something better to keep it in the correct standard!
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Kwacly cheers for the links. I tried eBay and only found shocks from the US or ones that have come off Blades or higher years

These sites I've checked out all, 2 of which are sold but the Ohlins seem to still be for sale. My biggest gripe though is the fact that I'm not part of the forum and dont know anything about these guys. I'm a real suspicious type person and generally don't trust anyone especially when no one has posted on the thread, just seems like no one trusts them!! Plus don't want to sign into any other forum I'm happy just being part of this and 675. Don't know if any of that makes sense?

Many Thanks for the links though.
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

I asked a very similar question recently. What year is your cbr? Not sure that Hagon would be much of an improvement over oem. There are nearly always hardly used standars shocks on ebay. Pay by paypal and you are safe.
Motoforum is a pretty well known forum and you could still use paypal to protect yourself. All forums will have good and bad members. As I'm sure I told you, I got badly ripped off by a popular member of 675.cc.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

2005 on a 06 plate. See this is why I ask. Not worried if it's not an improvement as not lookking for that. More I want it to just do the job! Don't want to buy it and find out the bike feels like a tourer all soft and bouncy around corners!!

Andy to be honest that's why I don't want to buy off people off forums. When you told me it was a massive shock!

As for used parts I'm unsure. My mate had a lot of trouble with used parts from people and scrappys and spent a lot on packaging and travelling etc. My trust is not there plus don't have the time to be chasing up on things.

Hagon seem a good price for something they claim is for the bike.

I'm too suspicious I swear!!
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Got a question.

The cyclinder on the side, done a bit of reading up about it but is that really necessary or will a standard cyclinder inside the shock do the trick?
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Rossgo, I'm happy to act as a go between for you on Motoforum. There's a wanted section so i could post a question to see what's about.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Kwacky

Ok if that's not a problem then yes please. Would be greatly thankful for it

Cheers Kwacly really appreciate that.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

No problem. I'll do it when I get up. Currently lying in bed, watching the football, laughing.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

If you plan to keep the bike and have enough for a second race shock that's definitely the way to go and the most cost effective as when you sell the bike simply remove the shock and recover your money.

If funds are tight just buy a low mileage OEM shock of eBay for less than £50.

Maxton will be well over £500 at a guess and IMO hago is a backwards step on a sportsbike.

Personally I would replace with a s/h low use OEM shock of funds tight or if possible stretch to a low use s/h race shock from the likes of ohlins, wp, nitron, Maxton etc from somewhere like motoforum if possible.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Thanks Kwacky highly appreciated.
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

Having a quick look on ebay it seems shocks from 01-06 cbr600 will fit.
Ebay no 141663692882 might do. Sounds like it's not been used much. If you just want it 'to do' just replace it with as low a mileage oem shock you can find. There are loads in america but a few in the uk for £60-80.
As before, if you pay with Paypal and the shock turns up with leaking seals etc and it's described incorrectly you can claim your money back.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Rossgo do you want me to post on the wanted section of 1000rr ? Its mainly a blade site but loads of other bike owners on there who are predominantly Honda boys.

I did the same when I dropped my bike I had all the OEM parts I needed very cheap within 24 hours ?
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Cheers For the advice Blade. Good info in there mate. I am keeping my eye on eBay problem is all are in the states. It's kinder scary how many they have at scrap yards!!

This is my thinking don't want to go back from what I have already.

Nitron is around 700quid. That's a fair amount difference but not trying to upgrade just trying to equal what I've got already really.

How long will I keep the bike.is unclear to be honest. It will definitely be until end of next year. I am happy with the bike so if it stays in running order will happily keep. If not then would upgrade and look for a blade end of next year. If I know the bike will.be with me for a few years then I would save for longer and get something decent but if not then don't want to put my money into it. If that makes sense. However what your saying is right could just sell the part when it comes to it for what it's worth then happy days.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Must admit those Maxtons look superb hehe
Blade

Post by Blade »

I hear good things about Maxton and they do a lot of stuff for the road racers at the nw200 and TT so must be good on the road.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Andy cheers for that I've asked the seller a question. That a pretty decent looking shock at a good price too. Cheers for the heads up of that
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Cheers Blade Andy may of found one for me here. Hoping the seller quickly gets back to me as it looks like a gooden