Lucky escape

The news and your views about biking
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Lucky escape

Post by Kwacky »

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-w ... ig-9254665" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Belgian drive on the wrong side of the road misses the first bike but hits the second head on. The bike was a Laverda RGS. Fortunately the rider wasn't badly hurt.
Zx10dale
Your Bike: 2008 R1

Re: Lucky escape

Post by Zx10dale »

Wow, what a mess, that guy was real lucky. That's why so many Germans have been killed over the years at the TT, in a moment of excitement they have forgotten which side of the road they should be on !
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

Where is the bit about foreign driver? All I can see is the story making it kind of sound like the biker is at fault

"after math after bike crashes with car"
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I got my stuff from the guy riding the first bike. They were on their way to the NW200.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

This is the post:-

Well today was a bad day. Got up early this morning to ride to the NW 200 with a close friend on his RGS. Had a great run through Bala and as far a Bets y Coed. On the next stretch to bethseda just after the first walled twisty bit down to the lake as I approached a corner to be met by a belgian vw polo travelling at speed on my side of the road. Flashed but no reaction and I swerved over to the other side of the road missing him by inches. Looked behind in my mirrior to see a shower of bits in the air as my mate on his Laverda RGS hit him full on followed by flames as the bike burst into flames. Turned round fearing the worst as he was on the ground with no reastion to anything. Did all the good post crash actions (not moving in case of spinals etc) and making sure he was OK with no obstructions to the airway etc while calling the emergency services. Para medics turned up fairly quickly though it felt like an age. Anyway he came to after a few mins and was talking and no major injuries. Ambulence took him off to Bangor Hospital and I followd about 40 mins later after giving a statement to the Police and talking lots of photos for his insurance co. Then spent 5 hrs with him at the hospital until his wife arrived. Thankfully he has nothing major damaged but his kit and the RGS (wich was immaculate und one of only 20 in the UK) was totalled. Anyway, his kit Rukka and Shoei took some massive impacts and undoubtley saved a lot of damage. The emergency Services were outstanding - calm professional and reassuring. After reuniting him with his wife and him being discharged home I have decided to carry on to the NW 200 on my own so have just caught a late ferry. The Belgan driver has been arrested and charged so will see what happens next, but it is an easy mistake to make if you have a momentary lapse in a foreign country.

Anyway the moral is expect the unexpected round the next corner as it might not be what you are expecting.

Steve
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Blimming he'll that does look like a mess. Isn't this dangerous or careless driving though Kwacky? Paying no attention to the road? Surely there's some sort of act here for police matters instead of "oh whoops I forgot !!" Lol
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

That looks like a clear case of driving without due care and attention.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Would the charge be different had he killed the biker?
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Yep. Causing death by dangerous driving or causing death by careless driving.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

scary stuff
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

The destroyed bike was only one of 20 in the UK. What a waste.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Does anyone think the driver will get the privilege of going to court for this one as he isnt from here? How does that actually work? Does the case get shipped to his home?

To be honest I bet the rider doesn't give a stuff about the bike I'm sure he is thinking how lucky he is to be walking away with his life. Poor bloke
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

No, he'll have to attend our courts.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Bloody hell juat read your post Kwacky from the guy in front.

Wow that must of been so scary for him (obviously the guy who had got hit was unconscious so in effect has no idea what's going on - makes it bliss even for a few minutes) the guy seemed to do everything right. Unsure how his mate would take the last comment (a easy mistake to make in a foreign country). Personally I dont think I would see it that way and in all honesty. That could be him now never riding again, something he enjoyed, maybe it was an escape for him etc etc now ruined. I hope the driver doesn't get let off lightly in my opinion. I know britian have a few soft touches but this could of been fatal and possibly is for the rider in the mind.

Or maybe I'm speaking g out my bum but at minion should be a ban for many many years , screw his work or his commitments he has to use other means of transport

PS I am in no way a legal person so do not critise it is just an opinion!!
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Rant away :D

It's always hard to know the reasons for a car crash until you hear from everyone concerned. I spend a lot of my time dealing with the initial stages of investigations and you'll find that everyone has their own version of events. Our brains tend to fill in gaps or tell us what we should have seen rather than accepting what we actually saw.

It's easy to be critical, but as a copper once rightly pointed out to me, we're all guilty of driving without due care at some point in every journey we make. It really doesn't take much to be caught out.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

That's actually very interesting - our brains fill in gaps rather than accepting what we really saw. Must be bloody tough trying to figure out exactly what the facts are and working it out logically. Though it does bring your dash cam thread a step further to being something that could be law in coming years. Would stop a lot of unessary time being wasted etc

Your last comment is very truthful and in all honesty I think all of us walk away accepting it as the norm because nothing happened that time but I suppose it only takes one time to be a court matter. It could be as small as changing over the radio station and the guy in front stops before you notice. Think Perkles has it right here very scary stuff
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Our eyesight isn't as good as we think it is. Our brains fill in a lot of information which is based on what we've previously seen and what we know about our surroundings.

For instance if you see something in the water but can't make it out, your brain will try to fill in the information. if you've been told there are dolphins in that area, then it was a dolphin's tail. That's why there are sightings of Nessie in Loch Ness - because people have been told there's a monster in the waters.

If you commute you can put this to the test. When you're filtering you will see part of peoples faces in their rearview and side mirrors. If you tell yourself that everyone driving an expensive car is a white middle aged male, your brain will take that into account so well there will be times when you'll even get the gender of the drivers wrong.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

I treat all cars drivers the same that they are idiots and that they are trying to knock you off, thats my insurance when riding a pushbike or motorcycle
be careful out there
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

That is very interesting Kwacky, never really thought of it. Although that does make sense because it has happened when for example someone has cut me and my partner up in the car and I'll see a woman and she'll see a bloke. Which has happened a number of times and we have to check to see who it was. The human is a strange and wonderful animal at times!
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

It's such an easyistake to make when driving on the other side of the road. I nearly made the mistake when turning left at a junction in Belgium last year. Your brain is so programmed to only look one way and to change that you have to slow your processing down and think it through. If you think about it it is ludicrous that some countries drive on different sides of the road.