The downside to free news?

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

The downside to free news?

Post by duke63 »

I know we all like not having to pay for news and internet information but are we now paying the price with advertisers dictating editorial direction?

Seems that it may be the case at some newspapers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/media/1 ... staff.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Re: The downside to free news?

Post by C00kiemonster »

Pete Oborne resigned from the telegraph last week citing the lack of separation between adverts and stories, especially around hsbc and a lack of reporting by the telegraph because it is one of its biggest advertisers.

I do believe paper based news will die finally in the next few years. I don't and have never read papers anyway. A waste of trees usually.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

I agree with both of you, but count yourselves lucky....the US is light years ahead of you in terms of shoddy journalism.....I still remember bxing shocked when I first read the OC Register....did a 6th grader write this??
And don't get me wrong, I'm no John le Carre myself...but I do think I have a fairly articulate vocabulary.
But you reap what you aow....the press has been ddoing it for years...dumbing everything down to suit their "clientele".
Doesn't. Surprise me one bit how advertising has blurred the lines even further.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Internet news isn't free either though, Cookie, as someone has to be paid to write it.

It will be a huge problem if all news we read is written without a freedom to say whatever is correct.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

duke63 wrote:Internet news isn't free either though, Cookie, as someone has to be paid to write it.

It will be a huge problem if all news we read is written without a freedom to say whatever is correct.
You are of course correct, but with the likes of Twitter etc there is very little hiding place for suppression of news.

I don't tend to look at online news much either these days. I'll have the news on the TV on in the background from time to time and check Twitter but pay little attention to most of the political crap being spouted.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

95% of the western news is controlled by 3 organisations.

If you want decent news you have to look for it. Thankfully the likes of twitter allow you to find both sides of the same story. You can make your own mind up.