Tackling mobile phone use in Australia

The news and your views about biking
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Tackling mobile phone use in Australia

Post by Kwacky »

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western ... 32844b4c6c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Re: Tackling mobile phone use in Australia

Post by duke63 »

I reckon the law should be changed here so that if you are caught using a mobile whilst driving, as well as the fine and points then the phone and number should be confiscated and destroyed. I bet that will cause more pain to those caught than any driving punishment.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Yep......the fines here for it aren't very much.....like $150 or sommit.

It's the texting that bothers me more than anything, but when you get right down to it, anything that causes a distraction is a problem.....phones, fast food, smoking, etc.

I'm pretty good about not using the phone.....I'll just pull over, 'cos if someone is calling it's probably work-related, and I'm gonna have to write stuff down.
Same with eating....I don't eat fast food, so there's not much else left.......'cept for water or soft drinks, but that's not illegal here.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Texting is on the increase. I see it on a regular basis now.

The other thing you see are people thinking a phone on a speakerphone is handsfree. Even though the muppets are holding it in their hand (facepalm)
duke63

Post by duke63 »

One of the places i work at has a busy road going right by and from one office on 1st floor you can see right into passing cars.

My very non-scientific guess would be that between 10-20% of all drivers are using their phone in some way at any one time.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

I can connect my phone via blue tooth so all calls are made or received through the car stereo system and the controls are on the steering wheel or voice activated so to the best of my knowledge its as good as hands free can be.

Can't think of a better less intrusive system and still I don't like or want to use it as I notice it detracts from my concentration when driving.

I rarely use the phone at all in the car and if I do it is when conditions and traffic allow it. If my concentration is required on driving I won't even think of using the phone. How the hell can people text and expect to be in control of a motor vehicle that has the potential to seriously hurt and even kill other members of the public if not fully controlled.

Using the phone when driving should be as serious a crime as drink driving IMO.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Blade wrote:I can connect my phone via blue tooth so all calls are made or received through the car stereo system and the controls are on the steering wheel or voice activated so to the best of my knowledge its as good as hands free can be.

Can't think of a better less intrusive system and still I don't like or want to use it as I notice it detracts from my concentration when driving.

I rarely use the phone at all in the car and if I do it is when conditions and traffic allow it. If my concentration is required on driving I won't even think of using the phone. How the hell can people text and expect to be in control of a motor vehicle that has the potential to seriously hurt and even kill other members of the public if not fully controlled.

Using the phone when driving should be as serious a crime as drink driving IMO.
Completely agree. At the moment mobile phone use has to be unnecessarily killing or maiming many road users :(
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Some of you may have seen this before, but it's still worth a watch, we should do a version of this as a "Public Information Film" in the UK and possibly everywhere else......

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbjSWDwJILs[/video]
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I've not seen that before. It gets the point across.

BBC3 did something similar with young drivers. It was shocking how many of them thought they could text and drive safely.
D41

Post by D41 »

It's hardly surprising when you think about it (the 25 years old & under stat.).......these kids have had these fancy phones since they were 11-12....and at 22, their bodies may be fully developed.....but their minds certainly aren't.....boys and gals like you & I regard a car as a conveyance, and an expenditure.....those kids are just, "Whey-hey!.....my first car!!"
They don't have families...well, maybe the chavs do......I'll openly admit, I don't think my concept of many of those things developed until I was close to 30.....my life was work, band, MTBs, girls, etc.

More legislation is necessary....or at the very least better legislation.

Here's a good example....any 18 year-old in Cali can go get his motorcycle permit....I a 50 question multiple choice affair, you're allowed 7 mistakes and 3 tries for your $25.......after that you're fre to ride any MC out there with very few restriction....no freeway, not after dusk, and no passengers.....that's it!

It's a recipe for bad things to happen. I like the staggered system the UK has.....I think it's a bit severe at times, but I think it works.....the only things they physically tst us on are an emergency stop, accelerating through a turn, and doing a figure eight inside a coned rectangle.
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

I've not really caught on with texting. So I write my penpals while driving. It's difficult when you have to change the ink in a fountain pen too.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

The wife's boss was involved in a fatal road accident the other night where an elderly lady was knocked down whilst being in the middle of a country lane in the dark. His son was in the car with him. No idea why she was in the middle of the road.

The police have confiscated all mobile phones of those present in the car.
Mac
Your Bike: '04 Triumph Daytona

Post by Mac »

That's standard operating procedure for us as well at a fatal or serious injury collision.
"When in doubt use full throttle. It may not improve the situation but it will end the suspense ".
D41

Post by D41 »

Understandable....and I'm not disagreeing with the action.....but how does that affect an investigation.....I mean, Bob is on the phone and passes it to the driver for a second to relay directions, etc....must get enormously complicated??

Don't you miss the old days when you just twatted them upside the head??......that's a serious question.