Bye-bye Daytona.

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Bye-bye Daytona.

Post by D41 »

;(

Well, finally made it official today....signed over the bike to my stepson.
He's had it for about six weeks....I kinda did the math and it was gonna cost a bit to fix, and at the end of the day it would never have been the same, and would still have been a 10 year-old bike.

So it served it's purpose, and Nic is frickin' stoked to have it and rebuild it.....kinda cool, as he'll learn about bikes as he goes about building it.....can't wait for the day we do a TD together, whenever that may be....who knows, maybe even get Matty to give it a go!!....he'd be a little Simo or Marquez, that one.

So.....time to start looking.....I have absolutely no idea what I'm after, or whether to base it here or in the UK....but I'm ready...more than ready, I'm frickin' dying to get back on a bike.
Think I wanna go AJM this time....the 675 didn't agree with me, and the Ducs etc. are a bit stretched out for me (bit pricey, too).
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Bye-bye Daytona.

Post by Kwacky »

I thought you were coming over to the UK for a bit?
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Sad to see a bike go,I thought you were losing your licence for some reason ?
D41

Post by D41 »

Kwacky wrote:I thought you were coming over to the UK for a bit?

Indeed....I'm gonna have to invent something....think I'll call it a passport. :D

Had a bit of an offer for work in a managerial role.....I'm actually a bit excited about it......if it pans out I'll just hire someone to do my job and just sit around doing paperwork.....hey, my old boss did it for years, and just toured Europe while I did the on-site stuff. My installation days are over.....I miss it badly, but it is what it is.
D41

Post by D41 »

Perkles wrote:Sad to see a bike go,I thought you were losing your licence for some reason ?
I did....for a seizure disorder....should have it back in a month or so......or when I feel like it.....I don't actually have to drive where I live....everything is in walking distance, and the walking is great for fixing the knackered hip......my trusty work-truck is back to what it does best......just sit on the driveway doing nowt!!
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Have fun searching for a new bike [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]
D41

Post by D41 »

Cheers.....as I say, I have absolutely no idea what I want.....I know what I don't want though.....it'll come to me.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Price range?

Sporty? Naked?
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

What you get will depend on how flexible and stable the hip is, also how much muscle mass you've reacquired, the only way to tell is sit on a few and duplicate riding - I found stop/go stuff in traffic was hardest immediately after I came back to riding.

Sounds like it might be time to start going and sitting on bikes in showrooms - I'm sure your hip will tell you if a particular bike is good or bad. Quite apart from anything else, riding a bike for me was taking back control of who I am, I suspect you may be the same, enjoy that first ride matey. 8)
D41

Post by D41 »

Hip is decentish....it'll crack out of place once in a while, which will land me on my ass if I'm walking, and whilst it can be uncomfortable, it's never painful....it's as good as it's gonna get.

Price....cheap as poss....prolly sports....never been that keen on the situp bikes, despite the fact that they're more practical about 80 % of the time......I could go for a Speed though.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Loads to choose from. CBR600rr would probably be best if you want another 600 sportsbike. Good build quality and loads of accessories and spare parts available for them. More comfortable than the other 600s
D41

Post by D41 »

Kwacky wrote:Loads to choose from. CBR600rr would probably be best if you want another 600 sportsbike. Good build quality and loads of accessories and spare parts available for them. More comfortable than the other 600s
Honda is a good shout for sure....but I've ridden my mate's 600 a few times and I found it too aggressive....but that's an '05. The 600/636 felt better, the R1 felt fricking insane.....I don't need or can properly use a bike that fast.

I could go for a nice RC51, or SRAD 750....as long as the bike has been well cared for, age isn't too much of a prob.....with the 650, the bike is just too rare.

The position on the Zuki is not bad....but I'm scared I'll be automatically drafted into a "rider's club" (shorthand for 'bunch of punks') if I go with one of those.

999 would be cool....the position is a bloody torture rack, but I've always liked them.

I'm in no rush.