Kids and Mobile Phones

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Spudda
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650 aka 'Doris'

Kids and Mobile Phones

Post by Spudda »

Spudlet 1 will be 11 in April and he's told us he'd like a mobile phone for his Birthday prezzie.
The fun adjuster is thinking about getting him one for Christmas but I dont know whether its me being 'old' but I think 11 is too young .... is it me ?
It's Nice To Be Important BUT Its Important To Be Nice ©
Si.
Your Bike: fireblade

Re: Kids and Mobile Phones

Post by Si. »

I agree mate. Mine where 13 before I bought them one.....

Worst things ever IMO.... Great for emergencies, but the kids are forever on them.. I've had to ban them at the dinner table and when we are out as a family... They render conversation dead.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

I'm with Si....13-14 is about right in my mind...later if possible. I don't think you're being 'old' at all...11 is too young....the thing will just get knackered in about 4 days.
Mac
Your Bike: '04 Triumph Daytona

Post by Mac »

Mines 12 and she doesn't have a phone. She does have my old iPhone but no service. She can call 911 with it, and can access the internet which is restricted at her school. She has an app with which she can text, but she knows that at anytime I have the right to pick up her phone and prowl through it. There are also rules about when it's ok to have the phone out and when it's not, and she realizes the phone is a privilege, not a right, and that privilege can be revoked at any time. She asked recently if she could have snapchat, and I told her, "Absolutley not." I explained to her there were terrible temptations to send text knowing (assuming) they would disappear, and even more terrible consequences when they didn't. To her credit, she took it very well and understood.

I suppose she has a very close resemblance to a smart phone, but no cellular/data package. IMO, the time is right when they have activities (sports, dance in her case, etc.) where they have a need to call one of us to come get her, or any other bona fide justification for a phone.

Like Si says, the phone is a hindrance to the ability to converse like normal people. I'm terrified of the long term consequences of society forgetting how to actually TALK to other people.

Rant over. Eleven is too young IMHO. You're not 'old'.
"When in doubt use full throttle. It may not improve the situation but it will end the suspense ".
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

I don't have any kids so forgive me if I speak out of turn here. I personally think 11 is too young if it will be used as a way of communicating with friends. I believe kids should be able to go around knocking on their mates doors and go out and play. If this is purely a being safe measure then my mum picked a phone up for 3 quid, no camera just phone calls and texts. 10 quid top up and all is well in case of needing to get in touch with mum and dad
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

I have to say hold out as much as possible. Once they get one, they turn into a zombie. They don't need one, it's peer pressure beginning at that age.

Ours got them when they were about 13 and in hindsight I don't think they should have one full stop, but that's just because the change when you do.

You will however have to resist the constant pressure to get one from now until you finally do :(
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Hold out if you can. My daughter is 11 and has one. As the others ay they turn into a zombie. That said both kids have Kindles and they're not much better.

This thread has reminded me of something I was going to ask the other day. I'll start a new topic.
bb41
Your Bike: GSXR750

Post by bb41 »

My grandson has one and he's 10, my daughter keeps the credit on it just enough for emergencies, but it just gives hem a little bit of independence so he can go to the park and for her to get in touch when she wants him home. It's a useful tool but he's not allowed it at home only when he goes out to play.

It was only a basic cheapie and when he gets home she has it back off him.

It's a decision only parents can make as they are the ones who know the child

PS I didn't have one until I was 30 and would have a melt down without it now :D
Live each day as your last as one day you'll be right !!
D41

Post by D41 »

My friends and I have a thing when we go out for dinner where all the phones go into the middle of the table...the first one to answer, they pick up the tab. No-one likes me, so no-one calls me....I quite like it. Certainly worked today....feckin' free lunch...again. (lol)
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

My son had his first one when he went to secondary school.

Personally i think its a bit harsh to deny them the pleasure of a phone as all the other kids will have one and its their way of communication between each other. Not saying that's great but its just the way of the modern world.
D41

Post by D41 »

It's not harsh Duke, it's another bill, and that also has to be factored in.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

My daughter's bill is cheap. Each time she goes over she has to be pay me. She's paid me once. Lesson learned.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

I said 'I think it's harsh'.

Spudda has to make what he feels is the right decision for his kids.
Spudda
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650 aka 'Doris'

Post by Spudda »

C00kiemonster wrote:I have to say hold out as much as possible. Once they get one, they turn into a zombie.
They've all got iPods and can connect to t'internet but I do limit them on to how much they use them
Its used as a punishment as well as Spudlet 2 and 3 are both at the end of week 1 of a 2 week ban for bad behaviour

Its just the phone aspect .... and a lot of it will depend on which school he goes to
It's Nice To Be Important BUT Its Important To Be Nice ©
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

My niece has been on the PC since she was 6 Possibly sooner, she has a phone as I get daft text's from her every so often and she is now 10. Which is nice as I don't see them every day.

To be fair she is not 10 as I was at 10, she is more like 17 !! (facepalm) and very responsible.
It is a very different world we live in today, I mean for crying out loud we had one phone in our house when I was 10 and it was in the hallway on a pedestal ha ha. We would jump when it rang (giggle)

I don't see the problem so long as it's used responsibly.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

I grew up in a valley and my dad used to blow a trumpet when dinner was ready. People would shout "Robby your dinners ready" as I rode past on my Budgie.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

^ ha ha
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

I'm trying to keep the kids away from technology as much as makes sense. I don't want them hooked on gadgetry, but it is a loosing battle.

At 5, and their first year at school they are actively using iPads and large touch screens. It's done wonders for James who wouldn't even hold a pencil before starting school, now he is doing quite well at writing. Personally I think I will have to change my stance as the world has moved on, technology is a large part of the world we live in and the younger the generation the quicker the adopt to the new tech.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
D41

Post by D41 »

Monty wrote:I grew up in a valley and my dad used to blow a trumpet when dinner was ready. People would shout "Robby your dinners ready" as I rode past on my Budgie.
You had a Budgie?? You massive homo!! :D
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

D41 wrote:
Monty wrote:I grew up in a valley and my dad used to blow a trumpet when dinner was ready. People would shout "Robby your dinners ready" as I rode past on my Budgie.
You had a Budgie?? You massive homo!! :D
I loved that bike!
Monty™© MCMLXXII