Well That Was Scary

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Well That Was Scary

Post by Blade »

Just walked into McDonalds at the station and a guy starts having a fit next to me.

Did not know it definitely was an eplitic fit at first as he is clutching his throat suggesting by his action that he can't breath and his tongue is extremely swollen which seems to be blocking his airway so i was not sure it wasn't an allergic reaction to nuts or similar.

A few people helped but some people were actually more himderous than help. Me and another guy called for an ambulance and supported his head from injury and tried to maintain an airway.

Took about 10 mins but seemed ages before a paramedic arrived and I'll be honest it was scary as hell. The guy was nodding his head he had medication when I asked him but I couldn't find any on him.

I was so relieved when help arrived but even the paramedic was unsure of the nature of his injury's / attack and suggested it could be an overdose. I gave him some history of the conditions I had found him in and pointed to the fact he had a bottle of energy drink but my suggestion was it might not actually be energy drink inside the bottle but rather refilled with a different product. The paramedic checked and confirmed my suspicion it wasn't energy drink but couldn't identify it either.

The paramedic did some blood sugar tests and took his SATs as well as giving oxygen.

Eventually he calmed down and told us he had been sectioned and suffered from eplisey. He said he was on medication for eplisey but had none on him and apparently he was living rough on the streets. It then came to light why he had been sectioned. It was for attempting to murder a doctor and stabbing somebody else.

What a night. It was good to help someone in severe distress but I have to be honest the whole experience was quite scary.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Well That Was Scary

Post by Kwacky »

You want to try that at 3 in the morning when you're fast asleep and it's your mother having the fit. Not nice at all.

A few years ago Sam and I were in the car when we saw a guy on the pavement having a fit. It was a bad one, like the one you've described. He rolled into the road so Sam looked after him and I did the traffic control until the police arrived. The abuse I got from drivers I had dared to stop to allow the traffic to pass was unbelievable. Some people are decent, others are arses.

You did the right things though,
beermonster
Your Bike: Between two wheeled victims

Post by beermonster »

Fark dude! Well done for helping out though, as you say many don't / won't. Hope the guy gets the help he needs though - care in the community works for the majority, but for those where it doesn't there needs to be a safety net (no pun intended!). Good work, fella.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Cheers lads, I'm still buzzing from the whole experience now a good 30 minutes after. It was really quite scary and stressful but hopefully he get the help he needs.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

top effort Blade (y)
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Top work, Blade.

I never understand how any decent human being can not help in some way when they see another person in distress....but they do.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Cheers guys. Your right Duke plenty of people walked by or just rubber necked which just seems alien to me. I genuinely couldnt walk by anyone in distress and believe me although I mean no disrespect to the guy fitting regardless of his mental health issues he looked an intimtading chap. Eventually the Police arrived and told people nothing to see and move along. The Police Officer offered to get me some free food for my efforts which seemed a bit weird at first but he was just being kind and I appreciated his gesture of kindness but declined.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

I think the Police Officer fancied you, mate. :D
Blade

Post by Blade »

Happens so often tbh I'm now oblivious to it.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Epilepsy isn't a mental health issue. You don't get psychiatric help for it and you don't need care in the community. It's controlled using medication.
Blade

Post by Blade »

I genuinely dont know anything on the subject tbh but I do think he had other issues besides eplisey tbh. It was him who told me, the paramedic and police officer he was sectioned for mental health reasons and that he had attempted to kill a doctor and stab someone else. I couldn't tell you the exact reason for his mental health issues only repeating what he told me and that's all I know.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Well done for helping Blade, my Dad had Epilepsy as a result of a bike accident (skull fracture, no lid), I've had a different attitude through life because of it, people will walk by, or drive past or even turn away from someone having a fit, or even just requiring help, I've not understood it either. Mrs Gee told me once that if she was ever in bother she'd feel safer asking a biker for help, the vast majority I've met are all good people who would be glad to help anyone.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Cheers Deegee and sorry to hear about your Dad, I hope he is OK and things are kept under control.

I think your wife is spot on regards bikers being inclined to help others, it has certainly always been my experience.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Unfortunately we lost Dad to cancer 6yrs back, he'd taken pills to control the epilepsy all his life after the accident and fought to get promotion in the face of old fashioned prejudice about it.
It didn't define him any more than the fact he had glasses or was bald, it was just a thing. In some ways attitudes haven't changed a bit about, people are still embarrassed and don't understand it, they'll laugh at a drunk, but run away if someone has a fit. Ridiculous really.
Blade

Post by Blade »

So sorry to hear of you and your family's loss Deegee, hope I haven't caused any upset and once again sorry for the tragic loss cancer really sucks it took my mother in law who was a lovely lady 5 years ago and very nearly tool my auntie.
Bratty
Your Bike: Honda CB1000r

Post by Bratty »

Well done Blade
I get knocked down but i get up again.
bb41
Your Bike: GSXR750

Post by bb41 »

Well done that man, but it sometimes doesn't always turn out so well.

I helped a guy early in the morning in our village , he was on the road face down and he seemed to have fallen off his pushbike. He was behaving a little odd as there were no obvious injuries. Maybe I thought he had concussion. I knew he lived nearby as I'd seen him before.

He asked me to take him home but as I had my dogs with me I said I'd help him to his road where he had neighbours if he needed further medical help.
2 weeks later he murdered another kind soul . He battered her so much it took dental records to identify her

I live about 6 miles from a huge mental health facility and worked there many years ago and the lack of staff made it impossible to keep tabs on every patient . They're are forever going missing without their medication. My youngest who works for the Police has had no end of calls from officers needing intelligence on what escaped patients are capable of. Some are paedophiles on remand who have a history of psychotic episodes.

Some clever person decided that a school within 200yds was a good idea to secure this part of the hospital. When my kids were young there was a panic alarm to inform the school if someone had escaped.

Mental health issues really doesn't get the funding it deserves and many accidents could be preventable if more money was available to help the vulnerable and the dangerous

I would only help someone where it didn't put me in a dangerous situation again but would use a phone or get the help of someone before I undertook any one unless I could obviously see it was a genuine call

Hope you have calmed down a bit as it usually hits some time after . Look after yourself as well
Live each day as your last as one day you'll be right !!
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Blimey. Kind work there. Sad that the guy was in such a bad way and state in life :(
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

sorry but how the hell do patients go missing ,when you are in psychiatric care you are locked in with cameras watching you all day.That must be a very lame hospital
Well done Blade cant believe you turned down free food though :)
Blade

Post by Blade »

Wow BB41 that sounds mental.

Haha Perkles (giggle) I had just eaten a huge Chinese meal and only popped in McDonalds for a coffee.