Why you should buy the best helmet you can afford

The news and your views about biking
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Why you should buy the best helmet you can afford

Post by duke63 »

I know we have seen this before with other racers but its always worth being reminded just how important your crash helmet is. There is no second chance when a helmet gets tested out.

Rossi's head was clobbered by his bike and the tarmac.

http://motorcycleracemag.com/all/motogp ... sh-helmet/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Why you should buy the best helmet you can afford

Post by Kwacky »

I think those are free for Rossi ;)
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Free or not i don't doubt he is very glad he wore the very best for him.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

I wouldn't wish a crash like that on anyone, but that'll sell helmets for AGV in the same way that the 200mph crash Nakano had 10yrs ago sold lids for Arai and suits for Arlen Ness, I suppose it's an extension of the "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday" phenomenon.

We had a lad join over on 675.cc a few years back, his life was saved by his Shoei when a builders truck pulled across him - and he wasn't going fast. This is his lid afterwards:
image.jpg
His tale is told on this link, it's a long one but worthwhile if you've got the time.
http://www.675.cc/675/viewtopic.php?f=5 ... it=Newport" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

It depends on the accident. We've lost riders and racers in similar circumstances. I'm not arguing that you need the best kit, but there occasions when matters are taken out of your hands.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Deegee wrote:I wouldn't wish a crash like that on anyone, but that'll sell helmets for AGV in the same way that the 200mph crash Nakano had 10yrs ago sold lids for Arai and suits for Arlen Ness, I suppose it's an extension of the "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday" phenomenon.

We had a lad join over on 675.cc a few years back, his life was saved by his Shoei when a builders truck pulled across him - and he wasn't going fast. This is his lid afterwards:
image.jpg
His tale is told on this link, it's a long one but worthwhile if you've got the time.
http://www.675.cc/675/viewtopic.php?f=5 ... it=Newport" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just had a read of this. Top bloke and a long time in hospital :(
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Kwacky wrote:It depends on the accident. We've lost riders and racers in similar circumstances. I'm not arguing that you need the best kit, but there occasions when matters are taken out of your hands.
Very true statement....there's just too many variables - a racetrack limits some options, but on the road there's simply no way to tell.

You and I both know...we've both been off and suffered badly from what in most instances the rider would have walked away from.

Still pissed about trashing that new Suomy Extreme though...
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Something that can sometimes get over looked is the fit has to be right for you. Some people set there heart on a specific helmet or design and the reality can mean its not a great fit.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

That;'s very true. No point having a lid that's going to allow your head to move.

I've been told you you should have your cheeks and forehead squashed up against the pad when you buy a lid. The padding should give a little as it moulds to your face so you're left witha snug fit.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Blade wrote:Something that can sometimes get over looked is the fit has to be right for you. Some people set there heart on a specific helmet or design and the reality can mean its not a great fit.
I've seen this happen, a good friend who was new to biking was desperate for a particular Arai, unfortunately his head isn't that shape, but nothing either myself or the guy in the shop could say or do would persuade him other wise. He bought the lid, wore it for a few months and eventually confessed it gave him headaches and didn't touch the crown of his head, we went to another bike shop and he tried about a dozen lids, eventually buying a Shoei, iirc he still has it and has ridden thousands of miles in it.

In instances like this it's easy to say the shop shouldn't sell something that's not right, but if he didn't buy it there he'd have bought online and then the shop doesn't get the revenue to tell the next guy that will listen, to buy something else that fits properly.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Some professional riders have sadly and tragically worn incorrectly fitting helmets.

Unfortunately it happens at all levels and it shouldn't.

PS no disrespect intended in the above.