Cartagena 8th & 9th Oct 2014 Review

The news and your views about biking
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Cartagena 8th & 9th Oct 2014 Review

Post by Frankie »

I spent about 20 mins writing a full write up on this and when I came to post, it told me to sign in!!! It dropped me out. So this is not complete yet (if you are reading it) I have saving by instalments so I dont bloody loose it all again :(
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Cartagena 8th & 9th Oct 2014 Review

Post by Kwacky »

Ah crap. There is a "save draft" button on the bottom of the text box.

Look forward to the review.
edd1e
Your Bike: Aprilia RSV4 Factory

Post by edd1e »

looking forward to reading this :)
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

^^^^ What he said. :D

Tbh I've lost two or three threads in the same way, it was so irritating I just walked away and did something else. All very well having a save draft button, but it's not like you're saving it for future posting, just the site timing you out due to what it sees as you being idle.

Anyway, please post up Frankie, would love to hear how you spent your Birthday on track! Pics too please!
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Log yourself out, delete cookies then log back in. That should stop it happening.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Is it a fault as it happens to me regular too.

Also sometimes I can't see the text when I'm typing, which just seems to happen randomly.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Folks, please report every issue you get on the site, otherwise it can't be corrected

http://www.tankslap.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ta.
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

Sorry guys right lets get this started.
The day before day one - Arrive and drive straight to track - help out with unloading and getting bike settled into the garage. Take a few snaps as I said I would. head back to hotel knackered and very excited.. Oh I love the warm weather and sunshine. Gutted my track buddy is not here too :(

Day One. Arrive after a good breakfast, which along with the evening tucker is all part of the package along with a few bottles of wine. Other drinks you obviously pay for.

Arrive at the track, lovely sunshine (sun) get myself a cup of tea, (on tap all day along with coffee) and a case of water, which is then promptly stuck into the ice bucket (each garage has one) you need your liquids during the day.

Green light is on at 10am for the next 7hrs (hour off for lunch) Gary does the briefing its a good full comprehensive run down, there is a mix of new people to the day and regulars, obviously the focus is on safety and awareness. After all you dont have to win the race in 60 secs we are here for 7 hrs and thats only day one.

Briefing done, and newbies to either track or this circuit get the high viz bibs, does not mean your slow, just that you are finding your lines etc. most have them off after the morning anyway. Even though every one gives decent space on track it is good to have this reminder.

The other key thing to remember is that being open pit, you can never assume anything, some could be on an in lap, they could be on an out lap, so be aware all the time. For me I normally take 2/3 laps to get up to speed.

So this first lot go out on sighting laps, all the high viz lot, then they come in and we are out, once a couple of laps are done we can stay and or come in. I choose to come in, man I am always nervous the first few laps, new bike on track as well, felt really weird. Came in had a drink, a little fettle with the bike make sure nothing was loose, checked tyre pressures. I was looking at the Dunlop site for pressure, the GP racer tyres are really low pressure and you can feel it on the first couple of laps on some of the bends. the rear is 23psi Hot (on warmers)

Started to get some laps in, my lines? well they were crap (blush) , I had forgotten most of them from last time ha ha, had a run out with Jake one of the instructors, we had a little debrief session and then out again, then another session. I could shave 5 to 6 seconds off my time if i got the first little complex together. So I spend time on that area rather than just doing laps it was going well. A few times I was putting in some long sessions, 20 - 30 mins at a time, you just know when you get in the grove you dont want to stop. Saying that I was knackered I could hardly walk after wards, and as for having paddock stands only... forget it, I am fitting a side stand, what a pain in the back side on your own, especially with all the bikes parked up out side in pit lane lol. All on stands!! I think that confirmed it for me. I will have to chop at the fairing, but so be it.

Lunch is at the cafe and an hour sitting around munching is very welcome, you obviously have to buy your food and drink, chips very salty, but too be honest it is needed, keeps cramp at bay for sure, I never cramped up once.

PM - More of the same (y) (rock) Please with myself, I was really liking the 600, enjoying way more than the RR on track, I was feeling things more, and being able see big improvements, I am never going to be cracking the low 1.40's like some of the guys but I was having massive fun, which is what it is all about.

Day one - Night time - Had food - had a laugh - went to bed ;)

Day Two - feeling good, second briefing to remind everyone to keep things steady, build up again slowly, dont go out and try to be a hero, it will end in tears.
This morning I had put my name down on the board to get out with Jake first thing, we banged out some laps from the start, again the focus was turns 1-2-3 and the second from last left hander which was becoming a real pain!!! my times were coming down really well, but I was loosing it all here |( Again little chats about it and I was away. In short to play now for the next 7hrs.

Keys facts as far as I am concerned. I was quicker on the gixer 600 than I was on the 1000RR. unofficial times by playing back vids from last year and this. I was around the 2.30's last year, this year I was starting around the 2.30's, the best time I have seen on the vids I took was around 2.05 (happy)

The laps were consistent which was nice. Funny thing is I was hanging off the bike more on the BMW than I was on the gixer, as pointed out, trouble was the bike was more leaned over and I was running out of tyre. I thought I was hanging off more! So it was time to work on that as well.

I had a little knee down action, not loads to be fair, I am looking forward to seeing some on board from others, as I reckon my i was only a couple of mm away at anytime. However saying all that my focus was getting quicker and getting my lines right, if I did not have a touch down all day I would not be bothered I just wanted to feel secure and confident in getting the bike pushed on every bend, which I did.

The confidence I have in the gixer compared to the RR is massive, after all the RR was my road bike, and however much I dont want to throw any bike up the road, that thought was not so high on the agenda riding the gixer, which in turn allow me to push.

Helped with the packing up of the bikes, now it was time to get back to the hotel. Very tired but extremely happy, saw some great improvements.

Day two Night time - Last night meal - cake - trophy for most improved rider went to young Dave - who is super quick on his CBR 600 road bike, well deserved. The rest, again is for those who were there :D

Would I go again, hell yeah, well you already know that, The whole package with Gary and Denise is fantastic, along with the guys who attend. Such a great chilled bunch I love it.

I have some on board clips and some photos which i will sort on, and this is not bull, but the on board from the afternoon of the second day seems to be corrupted so I can show you some of my more blistering laps ;( you would have been impressed. Enjoy what I do post though.

The on board facing my arse, it a little too close, but there is not a lot I can do about that, but you can seen how much work you have to do on the track, no rest at all. Also it was an experiment so the sound is crap, you may just want to turn it down. I have not done any full editing so this is just raw footage for now.
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

Some pics I managed to get of me, there is no official photographer, so I took quiet a few of the rest of them.

Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I was around the 2.30's last year, this year I was starting around the 2.30's, the best time I have seen on the vids I took was around 2.05 (rock)

That's something else. Well done mate.

I'm looking forward to going in April. I'm in two minds about taking the road bike, which I know, is quick and reliable, or risking a cheap track bike, which I can throw down the track but I know nothing about.

I'll be booking April as soon as they're taking the cash.
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

On board for a couple of laps... unedited the noise is rubbish you may want to turn it down, but you can see how physical the track is.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijg5WAxG77c[/video]
kingfixer
Your Bike: 2019 Aprilia Dorsoduro 900

Post by kingfixer »

I wasn't envious at all i couldn't make this..honest (envy) great pics especially the last one (y)
Looks and sound like you had a blast mate...roll on Almeria next year !!

P.S Nice bike that ;)
https://gmrprojects.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Deegee

Post by Deegee »

Sounds like you had a great time Frankie, dropping 25s off your lap time is a huge improvement (17% quicker!!) and it sounds like you've got more to come, I'd say moving to the Gixer has transformed your riding for the better. Like Mick I'm jealous as hell of you, but depending on how things go next year maybe that'll change.

It's a liberating experience riding a bike on track that you know that won't kill you financially if you do wreck it, it frees part of your subconscious and allows you to ride past that survival instinct more easily, plus on a 600 the chances of the rear wheel breaking loose coming out of a corner are much reduced over a litre bike, you tend to ride to the bikes limits more easily in my limited experience.
edd1e

Post by edd1e »

nice write up Frank, who did you book with? and would you recommend them?
Deegee

Post by Deegee »

That last pic from the set of three above is a cracker, your position looks pretty good in that, not sure if there's any major improvements to be made in that dept. (y)
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Deegee wrote:Sounds like you had a great time Frankie, dropping 25s off your lap time is a huge improvement (17% quicker!!) and it sounds like you've got more to come, I'd say moving to the Gixer has transformed your riding for the better. Like Mick I'm jealous as hell of you, but depending on how things go next year maybe that'll change.

It's a liberating experience riding a bike on track that you know that won't kill you financially if you do wreck it, it frees part of your subconscious and allows you to ride past that survival instinct more easily, plus on a 600 the chances of the rear wheel breaking loose coming out of a corner are much reduced over a litre bike, you tend to ride to the bikes limits more easily in my limited experience.
And you can junk all that extra weight you don't need for lights, switchgear, mirrors etc.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

(envy) Some great photos, Frankie. Looks like you had a great time. Not jealous at all.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Some good pics there and the write up sounds like you had a blast. Reading that has really broken me out of this dreary wet weather and got me looking forward to next year (y)
Deegee wrote:It's a liberating experience riding a bike on track that you know that won't kill you financially if you do wreck it, it frees part of your subconscious and allows you to ride past that survival instinct more easily, plus on a 600 the chances of the rear wheel breaking loose coming out of a corner are much reduced over a litre bike, you tend to ride to the bikes limits more easily in my limited experience.
^^ this.. I felt so much more comfortable on the CBR than I ever did on the RSV..

As an aside, how did you find the gixxer compared to the CBR you had before ??
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Edd1e, the company is http://www.bbseurotracks.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A few of us are looking at April if you want to come along?

http://www.tankslap.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1709" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
edd1e

Post by edd1e »

Kwacky wrote:Edd1e, the company is http://www.bbseurotracks.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A few of us are looking at April if you want to come along?

http://www.tankslap.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1709" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If i had a trackbike I would be there in a heart beat.. see what the new year brings :)