Tints on front lights

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Tints on front lights

Post by Rossgo »

Hi to all

So I have a little question . Can you use the tint lenses on your front light legally? I realise your not allowed full black lenses but what is the legal tint? Reason I ask is because I have a set of part tint that I would use for the full beam headlight but don't want to use it if I am causing a reason to get pulled over or any unwanted attention!
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Re: Tints on front lights

Post by duke63 »

All tints are strictly speaking illegal if the affect the light output/colour.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Personally I would be shocked if you got pulled for it unless for example driving in low light conditions and presenting a hazard to other road users.

A rule or law is only as good as the hand that enforce's it IMO and we can worry about things to much. For example have you got a slightly smaller than standard number plate (but not ridiculously small) , an aftermarket exhaust, a tinted visor for sunny days or ever accidentally had a lapse of concentration and traveled slightly above a speed limit ?

Most Police Officers are decent guys IMO and if your doing something stupid expect the full weight of the law if you breaking a rule but being realistic about it your breach has little or no effect most Coppers would use their judgement and advise accordingly.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I used to ride one of my triumphs with a light tint cover over the main beam side but not on both sides.

New bike?
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

Never tinted front lights except my old Capri when I had the black plastic covers on them lol. But in them days I was pulled every fecking week for something or other!!

On the RR I had white (solid) covers, both on track days, and one riding on the road, covering just the high beam light.

But in this day and age people seem to find it hard to spot you, why would you want to tint your front lights?
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Have to agree with Duke, if it changes the light - especially to either a reddish or bluish tinge then you're likely to get pulled for it.

Re Frankie's point about why you'd want to tint your lights, I've seen quite a few bikes on the roads with tinted light covers, it generally makes the bike stand out from all the other white lights in the rear view, especially purple/magenta/cerise/green colours. In my limited experience I think anything that highlights the presence of a bike - especially when filtering, is a good thing whatever the law may have to say about the subject.
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

I miss understood the term tinting, in my mind it related to darkening, rather than changing the colour.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

All valid points and not being seen is one reason I wouldn't use them on any vehicle. The point of using them would only be for the full beam so it could be on but not dazzle anyone in front just as a extra light.

I would quiet happily ride with the full beam on after coming back from Oz a couple years ago and seeing every motorcycle having them on in the cities. However when I have tried it here it seems to piss more motorists off and I have been flashed, yelled at and they have even put their hazards on. Must not be all that bad as I was seen but maybe for the wrong reasons?!

But it is funny as I have also had my fair share of "oh sorry mate didn't see you there" when I haven't had full beam on. So what's the right solution!?