Rocket's Donnington track day report

The news and your views about biking
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Rocket's Donnington track day report

Post by rocket »

Its been a long time since I have been out on track and I was quite nervous and excited all at the same time the closer it got the more it all built up. I wanted to do a track day so I could push my self that little but harder but have the security of no cars or curbs. I was hoping to get close to were I was when I stopped biking.

I set off at 8pm and got to the premier inn at 9:30pm which was nice but the room was like a sauna and the air con was broke this was going to be a long night. Got up at 6:30am and had breakfast and set off for the track. Just before getting to the gate i had a message from d6nutz saying he was in garage 32 :).
Got set up in the garage with him, there were a few other lads with us. 3 track day regulars"SMW" from rsvr.net and another group of lads in the fast group.

I was in the first group out and wore my clear visor as it was a little foggy (mistake as the sun started poking through and blinded my a couple of times) , 3 steady ish laps behind the instructors and then off we went. I took it steady trying to get a feel for the bike but there were 1-2 REALLY slow riders. I'm in no way trying to be big headed but they were dangerously slow I caught him just before the entry to a corner i did not want to spook him and had to brake very hard behind him so i did not run into him. By the time i got round him the session was pretty much over.

The second session went fine i built up the speed making sure i had warmth in the tyres before opening it up. I was getting frustrated with my self as i was being way to hard on my self thinking im no were near were i used to be. I got stuck behind the same bloke i managed to pass him but as soon as i did there were another gaggle of slower riders which is fine. I was more frustrated with my self as instead of just passing them when i caught them as i was carrying more speed i sat behind them and waited i started getting fixated and followed them instead of just getting round them.

The next few session went similar but as i was growing in confidence i was getting a little faster and when the track cleared up in front of me i was really enjoying it.

While i was beating my self up D6nutz came in grinning from ear to ear i have just been out with an instructor it was great....

So after lunch i did the same He was "The Mexican" really nice bloke he took me out at the head of the pack. He showed me some lines then told me to go through and I was meant to show him that I have been watching. I found it really good and my confidence grew i was faster through a few corners and tried to get them better each time. He passed me and tapped the back of his bike and showed me were my lines were still a bit off and then let me passed and watched me again. It was nearly the end of the session and he flew passed me I thought does he want me to follow so i tried to up the pace i got to Mcleans faster than before and thought ill have to lean it in knee was down then then my toe slider and the edge of the track just got closer i got round OK but i don't think i could have leaned any-more. I came into the pits and spoke to the instructor he said i had good lines and it was a decent pace he then said just start moving off the bike ....... oh i thought i was ....... nope you look bolt up right ....... BALLS

the last 2 sessions were good i stopped beating my self up and enjoyed the afternoon the last session i went for knee down were ever i could and practice my hanging off the bike monkey style however this was not to be as it was red flagged twiece so could not get up to speed.

I was gutted for everyone that crashed it is heart breaking seeing your pride and joy go down the track but no one to my knowledge was seriously hurt just bruise's and damaged pride. One case in particular one of the lads we shared the garage with. He came in on the first session as his R6 track bike was feeling funny at the rear end had a look at the disc and it was scored when he tried to remove the rear wheel ot was jammed the bearings had collapsed. So he only lived down the road he went and fetched his road R6 that looked pretty mint anyway session after lunch he binned it and it cartwheeled he reckons he was pushing to hard ran out of ground clearance and the peg dug in and flipped him off. Was a shame but its only metal and plastic.

On the way home I was mulling things over in my head and while i still have it the next track day is going to be on the zx636. I dont know if it was me or not but the first time i took the bike round a track i was giggling like a school girl. I did not have that with the rsv its a great road bike but maybe not suited to me round a track. This may all be in my head and beating my self up but while i still have it im going to get it out of my system. However I had a great day it was great having the banter and laughs all through the day great to meet you Jon and thanks very much to Jack for taking the time out to come and say hi and take some photos owe you some more cake (lol) .

Roll on the next one i can not WAIT (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

A few pics from the day

One for blade

Sorry its a bit long winded and my English has always been shocking (devil)
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Rocket's Donnington track day report

Post by Kwacky »

Cracking report.

It sounds like a few of us need to work on body position and it sounds like a few of us need to relax a bit more and stop beating ourselves up about our riding.
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Great write up mate, glad you had all had a good day! the tyre looks well used, thats always the sign of a good day, I know what you mean about slower riders, dont get me wrong I am one of them but occasionally when I catch someone I really struggle to get past coz I fixate on them
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

sounds like a great day,i was a fast group rider 7 years ago but now just about get round in the slow group so dont beat yourself up,Enjoying the day and getting home safe is all that matters imho :)
Bratty
Your Bike: Honda CB1000r

Post by Bratty »

Great write up mate and glad you had a good day.
I get knocked down but i get up again.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Nice write up Rocket.

Like you I often beat myself up as my riding is know where near as good as it used to be, Its not easy and I m trying to accept this uncomfortable truth but its hard to break the cycle so I know where you are and how it feels. I need to get some track time myself but with work and family commitments I m really struggling unless I travel further than Donny or Oulton which TBH I m not really wanting to do. Maybe next year (y)
rocket

Post by rocket »

Blade wrote:Nice write up Rocket.

Like you I often beat myself up as my riding is know where near as good as it used to be, Its not easy and I m trying to accept this uncomfortable truth but its hard to break the cycle so I know where you are and how it feels. I need to get some track time myself but with work and family commitments I m really struggling unless I travel further than Donny or Oulton which TBH I m not really wanting to do. Maybe next year (y)
Totally understand I just need to find out if its the bike I'm not jelling with i love it on the road but it did not spark at Donny. With regards to tracks further afield i have the use of a van and can fit 2 bikes in (party)
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

rocket wrote:

Totally understand I just need to find out if its the bike I'm not jelling with i love it on the road but it did not spark at Donny. With regards to tracks further afield i have the use of a van and can fit 2 bikes in (party)
Tbh I found mine hard work at Donny ,maybe it's not a big twin track ?
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Erm, Donny is massive with big flowing corners. Surely it has to be one of the best 1 litre V twin tracks about?
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

The section from Melbourne loop to Redgate is stop start,redgate to McLeans I agree is fast and flowing
Craners is just heaven on any bike
Blade

Post by Blade »

rocket wrote:

Nice one Rocket (y) I'm well up for that and would love Silverstone or Rockingham.

if you have any plans drop me a PM or text anytime (y)
Godzilla
Your Bike:

Post by Godzilla »

Nice write up. the MEXICAN was at Cartegena when I was there. I had a trip across the kitty litter when I was following him. I was supposed to be following an instructor called Johnny lol.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Glad you had a good day despite not gelling with your bike on track Rocket, last time I was at Donny was to watch Greg Lavilla break the lap record in practice on an Airwaves Ducati, so I'm guessing big twins can be quick round there but sometimes they can be a bit intimidating on track, Donny's got some really fast, balls out, commitment required corners as well, getting it wrong through one of those will hurt.

Why not try hiring a track bike and see if that helps, a 600 is a bit more user friendly and will cost less to hire than a new footrest hanger and a side panel if you bin yours. Just an idea.
rocket

Post by rocket »

Deegee wrote:Glad you had a good day despite not gelling with your bike on track Rocket, last time I was at Donny was to watch Greg Lavilla break the lap record in practice on an Airwaves Ducati, so I'm guessing big twins can be quick round there but sometimes they can be a bit intimidating on track, Donny's got some really fast, balls out, commitment required corners as well, getting it wrong through one of those will hurt.

Why not try hiring a track bike and see if that helps, a 600 is a bit more user friendly and will cost less to hire than a new footrest hanger and a side panel if you bin yours. Just an idea.
I'm not intimidated by the bike as It only has the power of my zx636 a bit more torque I'm not sure I just don't think I got on with it at the track or maybe donny. Anyway the zx636is getting a dust down and it will get a spanking at mallory.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

Cracking write up mate. When I get stuck in a big bunch or group I run through the pits and pop out in a different place. It takes less than a minute of the session, but can save a load of frustration.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Blade

Post by Blade »

Monty wrote:Cracking write up mate. When I get stuck in a big bunch or group I run through the pits and pop out in a different place. It takes less than a minute of the session, but can save a load of frustration.
That is such a great idea Monty, I will remember that, nice one mate (y)
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Saw loads of lads doing this at Snett the other day, I'd not thought of it myself, but it's been stored away for when I need it.