Climate change

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Re: Climate change

Post by Rossgo »

C00kiemonster wrote:How much do you spend on electricity every year Rossgo?

It doesn't take more than a few years bills to pay for a full solar system that would mean no more bills at all. For life.
I pay approximately £540pa with a rebate of approx £400 a year, a little less if the weather is bitterly cold through winter. So £140pa

But I live in a flat no kids this price will change eventually I'm sure.

I wouldn't go for them, I I just remember everyone taking them down around the area. I just can't remember the exact reasons. It didn't bother me at the time as didn't need to know the reasons! I remember people saying they weren't working, weren't saving money but anymore than that I can't remember!

I fully understand the principle of it, which is great if everyone can deal with their own electricity per home thay would be superb. Would cut down a lot on energy providers but I don't believe we are there yet.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

D6Nutz wrote:
Rossgo wrote:
D6Nutz wrote: You'd be surprised how much energy you can get with a half decent panel, even in cloudy old blighty.

I've got a small panel for the caravan to keep the battery topped up when we're off grid. Its enough to get the battery back to 100% after and evening of using the lights, water pump, and charging phones/tablets.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Nutz we are pretty close together did you get the same issue with the solar panels a handful of years back? Everyone was putting them up around the neighbourhoods and then something happened and everyone took them down? People were moaning about them saying they weren't saving any money, they weren't working etc etc. It was massive it wasn't like a few houses we were talking about as good as entire neighbourhoods.

Nope, there are only a couple of houses in our village that have solar panels, and they're pretty old too (the panels that is)

Ahh right. That's a shame as I remember it being a massive thing a handful of years ago maybe 8 or something, I was in my last job I remember. I wasn't buying a home so didn't have to worry about it just remember them going up, people moaning and then them coming down! Image

kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Rossgo wrote:When we can produce enough farms across in the sea for our country but these farms are massive eye sores. I used to be big fans of them but when you start to look at the wind turbines and see how much space it takes up in our countryside then I just consider it litter. We could have one plant taking up a quarter of the area and make it look more built into our countryside eg grass roofs etc which can be done.

We cant really win in all honesty. We have created this world where we all need out phones charged, all want a working telly, all want heating and hot water in the winter etc etc

I don't think anyone would claim the NZ country side looks like an eye sore and 82% of the countries electricity is produced by renewables. In the South Island it is 98% due to the hydro power stations down there.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Rossgo wrote:
C00kiemonster wrote:How much do you spend on electricity every year Rossgo?

It doesn't take more than a few years bills to pay for a full solar system that would mean no more bills at all. For life.
I pay approximately £540pa with a rebate of approx £400 a year, a little less if the weather is bitterly cold through winter. So £140pa

But I live in a flat no kids this price will change eventually I'm sure.

I wouldn't go for them, I I just remember everyone taking them down around the area. I just can't remember the exact reasons. It didn't bother me at the time as didn't need to know the reasons! I remember people saying they weren't working, weren't saving money but anymore than that I can't remember!

I fully understand the principle of it, which is great if everyone can deal with their own electricity per home thay would be superb. Would cut down a lot on energy providers but I don't believe we are there yet.

I have a 5KW solar system on my place.

-Because I live in a remote area my water supply is rain water only so I have a tank and every time I turn on a tap a pump runs.
-I have no town sewage connection, and run a biocycle for sewage/grey water treatment, so that is an aeration pump running 24/7 and a transfer pump to batch send treated water to the spray line.
-I have a pool with a pump that runs 6-8 hrs a day.
-Then I have all the normal electricity demands, incl. plenty of A/C in Aussie summers.

Prior to the solar installation i was paying $1000 per quarter on average. After solar install it was $250 per quarter. The solar paid for itself in 4 yrs. Once batteries systems are more efficient and a better price point I'll be putting in a bank and hopefully get my house off grid. I actually produce more than I use but the excess is going back to the grid. the power company charge me 27c/kW but only pay me 11c/kW for my excess. If I can store it economically, I'll be laughing.

I know my situation and location is different but solar is very viable when done right.
Don St solar array.jpg
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Nice place.
And neat too....no cables, antennae, etc. cluttering up the exterior.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Looks good Kiwi. Lovely place you have there mate

Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

Climate change - I wish it would , its been hammering down for about 3 hours now .
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Jack wrote:Climate change - I wish it would , its been hammering down for about 3 months now .
Sorry Jack, when I first read that I thought it said "3 hours" (giggle)
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Rossgo wrote:It costs a huge amount and radioactive waste would be an issue but creating power from nuclear energy is still incredibly powerful. I personally think that is the future. Green energy eg wind we would need huge farms across our country to deal with it and also in the sea.

It does seem to cost a huge amount.... (shocked)
French power company EDF said the new nuclear plant it is building at Hinkley Point C will cost up to £2.9bn more than thought.

It raised its estimate for the project, in Somerset, to between £21.5bn and £22.5bn, blaming "challenging ground conditions".[\quote]

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49823305" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

In the human race's latest rape of their only home, we're still busy fishing our marine life into extinction.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-49815287" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Makes me utterly ashamed.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

I see the UN have also revised their figures again to see we are now on red alert about climate change. The damage being done to the seas and the subsequent warming puts London, Istanbul, New York, Buenos Aries and a number of other major cities under severe threat from high rises in sea level by 2050. The clock is ticking.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

It's amazing how many with right wing leanings refuse to accept that there are any issues with the environment. I presume that's because tacking climate issues means cutting down on cheap industry and raising taxes to tackle it.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

It’s a power thing I guess. Pushing your head in the sand until you are dead and gone means you don’t have to worry about it.

But you would think/hope they have some concern for the futures of their own children and their grandchildren. But maybe not.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Climate change: UN panel signals red alert on 'Blue Planet' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-49817804" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

D6Nutz wrote:
Rossgo wrote:It costs a huge amount and radioactive waste would be an issue but creating power from nuclear energy is still incredibly powerful. I personally think that is the future. Green energy eg wind we would need huge farms across our country to deal with it and also in the sea.

It does seem to cost a huge amount.... (shocked)
French power company EDF said the new nuclear plant it is building at Hinkley Point C will cost up to £2.9bn more than thought.

It raised its estimate for the project, in Somerset, to between £21.5bn and £22.5bn, blaming "challenging ground conditions".[\quote]

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49823305" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jeez I knew it was Rich but double what I expected to be honest. But then again it's a good source of energy and also if the world gets too overpopulated then we could always blow a few of them up to wipe out half the globe. That prob be in 5 years time then ImageImage

D41

Post by D41 »

But it's Europe & Asia who're the main culprits when it comes to over-population. Is that where you'd start your pogrom??
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

D41 wrote:Is that where you'd start your pogrom??
Literally have no idea what you just said here?

D41

Post by D41 »

Yes, well when your best idea is to "wipe out half the globe" I don't have much of an idea what you're on about either.

Pogrom = genocide....usually of a religious nature.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

D41 wrote:Yes, well when your best idea is to "wipe out half the globe" I don't have much of an idea what you're on about either.

Pogrom = genocide....usually of a religious nature.
Ah right. Well 7bn down to 3.5bn. Let's do it. Wars games come real?

D41

Post by D41 »

Sure...your turn first.