Climate change

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Climate change

Post by Kwacky »

I hate to mention the B word, but one of the issues is our reliance on electricity from the EU. We sold a lot of our energy infrastructure to the French.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Rossgo wrote: I can't remember where I heard this but doesn't GB produce 5% more energy than needed at the moment, a small increase in our population and homes being produced will demolish that figure and we could see massive issues.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

What's the assumption there?? - That the population is going to increase by 5% and no-one is going to do anything to accommodate that increase??
That's never been the case in the past, I don't see why it would be the case now.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Kwacky wrote:I hate to mention the B word, but one of the issues is our reliance on electricity from the EU. We sold a lot of our energy infrastructure to the French.
We should go nuclear. It's the only option that would give a good return back for the country.

duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Nuclear energy isn't clean. The waste from it will last for thousands of years.

And the ones in Britain are old and coming to the end of their lives.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... astructure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

D41 wrote:
Rossgo wrote: I can't remember where I heard this but doesn't GB produce 5% more energy than needed at the moment, a small increase in our population and homes being produced will demolish that figure and we could see massive issues.

What's the assumption there?? - That the population is going to increase by 5% and no-one is going to do anything to accommodate that increase??
That's never been the case in the past, I don't see why it would be the case now.
This is what I'm trying to say. Our population is at an all time high, 5% extra will be reached regardless within the coming years. This isn't just our own country this is throughout the world so our energy will be stretched to an inch of their lives!

If we cut down on fossil fuels for energy, which will have to happen, we won't have enough to deal with our own. We have to find new sources now. I personally wouldn't go for any environmental sources energy as the amount of wind farms I've seen not turning even in the middle of the sea is crazy, so go nuclear and be done with it.

D41

Post by D41 »

"Going nuclear" is not going to solve the problem.
@ 20%+ of the UK's electric power comes from nuclear plants. Half of those plants are scheduled to be closed over the next five years (by 2025)....that's going to put it down to 10-12%, obviously.
Of the six nuclear plants currently under proposal in the UK, plans for two have been shelved, Toshiba have withdrawn from a third, and the Bradwell B plant in Essex (which I'm assuming is an addition to an already existing site) is not due to become operational until 2030, guaranteeing that Essex will remain in The Dark Ages for at least another decade (all told, probably not a bad idea).
Knowing how construction planning works, I'd bet even if someone came up with new proposals for elsewhere today, you'd still be 15 years out, quite possibly more.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

It costs a huge amount and radioactive waste would be an issue but creating power from nuclear energy is still incredibly powerful. I personally think that is the future. Green energy eg wind we would need huge farms across our country to deal with it and also in the sea.

Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

There's wind, solar and tidal energy. I know nuclear stations produce waste but it's a decent stop gap as we shift over to renewable.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

When we can produce enough farms across in the sea for our country but these farms are massive eye sores. I used to be big fans of them but when you start to look at the wind turbines and see how much space it takes up in our countryside then I just consider it litter. We could have one plant taking up a quarter of the area and make it look more built into our countryside eg grass roofs etc which can be done.

We cant really win in all honesty. We have created this world where we all need out phones charged, all want a working telly, all want heating and hot water in the winter etc etc

C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

In my opinion most energy needs could be met by everyone having their house powered by solar, with batteries for the nighttime. All grid connected so if there was demand from the grid elsewhere, then excess energy from homes or electric cars could be sold back to the grid.

All the tech is already there.

Also houses with better thermal insulation and low energy devices would make a big difference.

Existing nuclear is a good stopgap option, but wind energy is generally cheaper than nuclear now so is only going to grow.
D41

Post by D41 »

Rossgo wrote:When we can produce enough farms across in the sea for our country but these farms are massive eye sores. I used to be big fans of them but when you start to look at the wind turbines and see how much space it takes up in our countryside then I just consider it litter. We could have one plant taking up a quarter of the area and make it look more built into our countryside eg grass roofs etc which can be done.
Well...wind farms in the sea don't really take up any practical space, any land.
Are they an eyesore?? - Maybe, I don't know....but they certainly look better than chimneys belching out smoke from coal-fueled power stations. They have practically zero environmental impact. And wind, along with solar & hydro, is free.
They're also pollution-free.

I think the benefits far outweigh the negatives, all things considered.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

I have a massive issue with solar powered engery...we have no sun over here in Blighty!

I remember something about solar powered panels on homes around here. Someone was saying something to me who used to have them (wasn't it a government funded thing) I'm pretty sure around this area a load of people got them taken off due to saving no money and basically were crap! It was some time ago and where I used to live where my mum and dad were but I do remember something as a lot of people got them installed but didn't work. Can't tell you ins and outs I'm afraid though

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

D - nothing is pollution free. Noise itself is pollution. Light is pollution. We still have scrap which can't even be recycled. We have jumped ahead to creating the cleanest engery source when we have parts and certain plastics etc we can't even reuse.

The world in which we have come accustomed too will never be the cleanest

duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Solar panels only need daylight not sunshine.

The problem is we cannot continue to burn energy needlessly as we do now.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Rossgo wrote:I have a massive issue with solar powered engery...we have no sun over here in Blighty! ImageImage
You'd be surprised how much energy you can get with a half decent panel, even in cloudy old blighty.

I've got a small panel for the caravan to keep the battery topped up when we're off grid. Its enough to get the battery back to 100% after and evening of using the lights, water pump, and charging phones/tablets.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
D41

Post by D41 »

Rossgo wrote:D - nothing is pollution free. Noise itself is pollution. Light is pollution.

Noise is pollution?? Not unless it's my neighbour's stereo, in which case I agree.
Either way, noise is not affecting climate change one bit.

And light is pollution?? In what way????
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

How much do you spend on electricity every year Rossgo?

It doesn't take more than a few years bills to pay for a full solar system that would mean no more bills at all. For life.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

D41 wrote:
Rossgo wrote:D - nothing is pollution free. Noise itself is pollution. Light is pollution.

Noise is pollution?? Not unless it's my neighbour's stereo, in which case I agree.
Either way, noise is not affecting climate change one bit.

And light is pollution?? In what way????
Image yep i had a bloke upstairs who would thump his stereo on at all times of the day/ night. Played havok when I was trying to sleep through my rota. I had a massive argument with him and his cousin. More of the story but simple answer is he was a Fecker!! Glad he went. More to the story but won't bore you lol

Lots of things are pollution. Lights from buildings, cars, street lights etc. Look up into the sky and you will just see black when in your estate

Go to the countryside look up into the same sky and your see stars.

The pollution comes from man made lights. So light pollution!

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

D6Nutz wrote:
Rossgo wrote:I have a massive issue with solar powered engery...we have no sun over here in Blighty! ImageImage
You'd be surprised how much energy you can get with a half decent panel, even in cloudy old blighty.

I've got a small panel for the caravan to keep the battery topped up when we're off grid. Its enough to get the battery back to 100% after and evening of using the lights, water pump, and charging phones/tablets.

Nutz we are pretty close together did you get the same issue with the solar panels a handful of years back? Everyone was putting them up around the neighbourhoods and then something happened and everyone took them down? People were moaning about them saying they weren't saving any money, they weren't working etc etc. It was massive it wasn't like a few houses we were talking about as good as entire neighbourhoods.

D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Rossgo wrote:
D6Nutz wrote:

Nutz we are pretty close together did you get the same issue with the solar panels a handful of years back? Everyone was putting them up around the neighbourhoods and then something happened and everyone took them down? People were moaning about them saying they weren't saving any money, they weren't working etc etc. It was massive it wasn't like a few houses we were talking about as good as entire neighbourhoods.

Nope, there are only a couple of houses in our village that have solar panels, and they're pretty old too (the panels that is)

You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti