The next prime minister

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Re: The next prime minister

Post by Blade »

Much needed spending and improvements to beat crime. More Police and extra funding for the CPS and tougher sentencing get my vote.
Screenshot_20191120-221039_Samsung Internet.jpg
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Blade wrote:Much needed spending and improvements to beat crime. More Police and extra funding for the CPS and tougher sentencing get my vote.
If I robbed you of £1000, then gave you a present of £ 800, would we be mates.?
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

The CPS is on its knees. Even if they increase funding for the CPS there's a lack of judges, courts and barristers to deal with the claims. Police are under instructions not to press charges for lighter offences to reduce the pressure on the courts.

The tougher sentences they're talking about for murderers are already available and would affect about 5 people a year.

It costs £42k a year to house a prisoner. That's dead money. Most prisoners are reoffenders. The government is happy to pay to keep them in prison but won't pay to educate them or give them support to prevent reoffending.

The Tories have been in for 9 years. This is their legacy. Voting for them means you want more of the same.

20,000 police won't be 20,000 police on the streets, just over half of those jobs are office based. And it doesn't cover the 20,500 police cut by the current government, let alone taking into account the police leaving the force to retire or go to other jobs.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Kwacky wrote:The CPS is on its knees. Even if they increase funding for the CPS there's a lack of judges, courts and barristers to deal with the claims. Police are under instructions not to press charges for lighter offences to reduce the pressure on the courts.

It's an increase in spending this is a good thing not a bad thing imo

The tougher sentences they're talking about for murderers are already available and would affect about 5 people a year.

Criminals imprisoned for four years or more to serve at least two-thirds of their sentence before release

It costs £42k a year to house a prisoner. That's dead money. Most prisoners are reoffenders. The government is happy to pay to keep them in prison but won't pay to educate them or give them support to prevent reoffending.

[i]Education is important but equally it wont change many, only a few. Lock them up and punish them. For me that's justice and all the time they are off the street the safer those streets are. Crime is on the increase because of low funding for the Police, CPS and a lack of courts and judges, meaning criminals can act with impunity. Tougher sentencing is an effective deterrent as the lack of it in recent years (for many reasons) and the rise of crime only prove.[/i]

The Tories have been in for 9 years. This is their legacy. Voting for them means you want more of the same.

20,000 police won't be 20,000 police on the streets, just over half of those jobs are office based. And it doesn't cover the 20,500 police cut by the current government, let alone taking into account the police leaving the force to retire or go to other jobs.

Yes, Thersa May cut 20,500 Police, but that doesnt mean we shouldn't put that wrong, right. 20000 more Police is a not just a good thing it's a great thing imo

My glass is half full, not empty and broken on the floor (lol)
Last edited by Blade on 20 Nov 2019, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.
Blade

Post by Blade »

StMarks wrote:
Blade wrote:Much needed spending and improvements to beat crime. More Police and extra funding for the CPS and tougher sentencing get my vote.
If I robbed you of £1000, then gave you a present of £ 800, would we be mates.?
So you want me to keep all the £1000? Is that what your saying. Harms been done and it cant ever be repaired?

You dont want me to see the errors of my ways and starting making big changes to correct them.

Why stay in the past when we can move forward with meaningful improvements.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

5,000 of those police are just for the Met. But by the time they've been recruited and trained the Met will have lost about that number so their well be no increase at all in present numbers, let alone returning to pre 2010 levels.

Other parts of the service like police staff, PCSOs and special constables have also seen their numbers fall significantly since 2010.

The total police workforce – including officers and all those other categories of people – has actually fallen from 245,000 in March 2010 to just over 202,000 in March 2019 – a fall of more than 40,000 people.

So if we hired 20,000 more police officers but no other members of the police family, total police workforce numbers would still be considerably down on 2010.

All of the evidence shows that increased person terms does nothing to alter crime levels for the better. Serious crime has gone up by 12% since the USA brought in the 3 strike rule. Studies show that on the rare occasions where a criminal considers the possible prison term that they adapt the "may as well make it worth my while mentality".

Western countries that educate and train prisoners have the lowest reoffending rates.
Blade

Post by Blade »

I'm not saying everything is perfect and everything is fixed and the Police and associated agencies are at full strength.

What I'm saying is imo these proposed improvements are very welcomed. Doing nothing is worse.

Why knock current improvements because of historical mistakes. Surely better to move forward with genuine and meaningful improvements.
Last edited by Blade on 20 Nov 2019, 23:56, edited 1 time in total.
Blade

Post by Blade »

The alternative? A typical woolly, none committal Labour with no numbers or figures.
Screenshot_20191120-225531_Samsung Internet.jpg
And absolutely no mention on tackling the current, shocking, knife crime epidemic
Blade

Post by Blade »

Kwacky wrote:5,000 of those police are just for the Met. But by the time they've been recruited and trained the Met will have lost about that number so their well be no increase at all in present numbers, let alone returning to pre 2010 levels.

Other parts of the service like police staff, PCSOs and special constables have also seen their numbers fall significantly since 2010.

The total police workforce – including officers and all those other categories of people – has actually fallen from 245,000 in March 2010 to just over 202,000 in March 2019 – a fall of more than 40,000 people.

So if we hired 20,000 more police officers but no other members of the police family, total police workforce numbers would still be considerably down on 2010.

All of the evidence shows that increased person terms does nothing to alter crime levels for the better. Serious crime has gone up by 12% since the USA brought in the 3 strike rule. Studies show that on the rare occasions where a criminal considers the possible prison term that they adapt the "may as well make it worth my while mentality".

Western countries that educate and train prisoners have the lowest reoffending rates.
The policy says 20,000 MORE Police officers not we will recruit enough Officers to replace those leaving the force, I.e one in, one out. Its 20,000 more Police officers and I cant see how that's a bad thing.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Blade wrote:
Why knock current improvements because of historical mistakes. Surely better to move forward with genuine and meaningful improvements.
I'm sure if labour had spent millions sacking 20,000 police officers and paid them off then said they're spending millions hiring 20,000 police officers you would be paying them on the back saying "well done" and telling us it's the right trying to do.

What you're saying is you're happy for the government to waste your money and that you have no issues with then continuing to do so.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Blade wrote:The alternative? A typical woolly, none committal Labour with no numbers or figures.
And absolutely no mention on tackling the current, shocking, knife crime epidemic
I've two issues with that;

1. There's more than 2 political parties

2. Labour hasn't released its manifesto yet.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Increasing policing and prison places doesn't address the problem as to why people offend over and over again.

Its a sticking plaster on a broken leg.

I do think the Tories may be in serious trouble at this election. They are saying nothing new and only attempting to reverse all the cuts they have made over the last ten years.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Kwacky wrote: 1. There's more than 2 political parties
If I vote for any of the other parties my vote is LITERALLY meaningless where I live.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Cav wrote:
Kwacky wrote: 1. There's more than 2 political parties
If I vote for any of the other parties my vote is LITERALLY meaningless where I live.
If i vote for any party other than the Government my vote is meaningless too.

We dont live in a democracy.

I'm hoping on a Labour, LibDem, SNP, Greens coalition.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

What if there are thousands of people who think the same. "My vote won't count, I might as well vote for the sheet old party"

We do live in a democracy, we've just been conditioned to play their game.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Nutz, all other parties have accumulted 2% of the votes in my constituency since the 2nd world war.. there is absolutely no point in voting for any party other than the main 2.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Kwacky wrote:
Blade wrote:
I'm sure if labour had spent millions sacking 20,000 police officers and paid them off then said they're spending millions hiring 20,000 police officers you would be paying them on the back saying "well done" and telling us it's the right trying to do.

What you're saying is you're happy for the government to waste your money and that you have no issues with then continuing to do so.
That's not what I'm saying, your putting words in my mouth to be fair.

I cant change the past,
but I can vote to change the future. I would like to see more Police on our streets, a better funded CPS and more Prison places, as well as knife crime tackled.

However the problem came about, it desperately needs a solution and I see anything that reverses the current crime wave as positive.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Kwacky wrote:
Blade wrote:The alternative? A typical woolly, none committal Labour with no numbers or figures.
I've two issues with that;

1. There's more than 2 political parties

2. Labour hasn't released its manifesto yet.
Fair point but as people suggest the reality is it's a two race.

No they havent and the synic in me says their still making it up depending on which way the polls and media suggest public opinion is swaying.

Rather like Breixt they havent got a direction just a vague attitude to follow whatever a second referendum delivers, when they said they would honour the voice of the people in the 1st referendum.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

It's not just the police though is it?

If you're happy that the national debt has risen by £1 trillion
If you're happy that the NHS is on it's knees
If you're happy that we're missing tens of thousands of nurses, doctors, police, paramedics and firefights
If you're happy that people are dyingw hile waiting for universal credits to give them money
If you're happy that schools can't afford to stay open 5 days a week
If you're happy that the number of uses of Trussell Trust food banks has increased over this period from 41,000 to 1.2 million
If you're happy that 320,000 people are homeless
If you're happy that Johnson and ERG blocked Brexit
If you're happy that Johnson lies to everyone
If you're happy that the British Intelligence services don't trust Johnson
If you're happy that Johnson is sitting on a report that shows Russian interference in British elections
If you're happy that are army, air force and navy has been heavily reduced
If you're happy with the state of the roads
If you're happy that the government has failed to tackle immigration
If you're happy with the huge increase waiting times for operations and treatment
If you're happy that the gap between rich and poor is the worst in the EU
If you're happy that Johnson will end the Union of the United Kingdom
If you're happy that billions of taxes are not claimed each year
If you're happy that infant mortality is on the increase

Then by all means vote "yes, I would like more of the same please"
Blade

Post by Blade »

We were talking about the Police and it seemed people were bashing 20,000 MORE Police, extra CPS funding, tougher sentencing and tackling knife crime all I was saying is my personal view is the above changes are positive and welcome.

I really cant see why people would want to bash these much need improvements.

Changing the subject doesnt deflect that the above are good things.
Last edited by Blade on 21 Nov 2019, 09:33, edited 2 times in total.