Project ZX6R

From a simple respray to a full blown rebuild or restoration, post some pics in here so we can all admire your work.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Project ZX6R

Post by Kwacky »

I hate it when I start looking for stuff for the bike. It makes me realise I need about £10,000 to get what I want.

Here's what I really do need:-

Petrol tank
Left Mirror
Left bar end
Left footrest

I've ordered the replacement clutch lever, this should arrive later on in the week. That said, the old one is working fine so the bendable lever did the job.

I'm not sure about mirrors yet. I might stick with stock or go aftermarket. Any suggestions appreciated.

On order are some pearlescent white plastics. I know a racer with a set which are in really good nick. I'll get those covered in some hard wearing lacquer before I fit them. Kwak paint is very thin and easy to mark so I want it toughened up before I put it on.

I also have some carbon swingarm covers. The swingarm is scuffed up from my boots so again the carbon will have to be protected. I may as well have another layer of lacquer applied. I've got some clear protective film to put on them as well.

There is already a carbon chain guard and a carbon hugger on the bike. I might swap the chain guard for a black metal one to break up the carbon, otherwise it'll look too much.

I'm not too sure what to do with the tank. Buy a matching white one, buy any colour and get it sprayed white, take it down to the bare metal and polish then laquer it or spray the top white and have the sides clear.

I could go with adjustable footrests but I don't need them. The positon is just right for me. So I reckon I'll get some bling parts for the stock, such as push rod and footrests.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Re: Project ZX6R

Post by Perkles »

give me the plastics and i will take them to work and get a price for you
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Cheers Perkles. I don't pick them up until the end of next month. The guy is in Huddersfield but he's racing at Darley Moor at the end of June so I said I would get them then.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

If your after opinions I'm not sure a polished tank would look good on a white and carbon bike. Have you got any pictures of similar projects as might help with a visual as never seen this combo before. Ive only seen polished tanks on mainly black bikes but also on a few red Ducati's.

Also will a steel tank will be that nice polished. The ones you see on race bikes are alloy. I honestly don't know myself its just a question but worth looking into before spending cash. It might not come out how you had hoped.

Regards mirrors your fave company Rizoma do some nice mirrors.

I wouldn't spend money on pegs and pushrods to bling up the stock rear sets it will probably cost you half what a pair of Ses rearsets will cost. There adjustable so you can get your prefect position. Very good quality at any price but a bargain at just over £200. Had them on the Blade for a few years and still look like new.

Sorry but you did ask for input and IMO its only worthwhile if honest as opposed to agreeable. Hope the comments are useful ideas/ suggestions.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

No need to apologise, i want peoples' input on this.

The tank is what I'm not sure about. It'll be easier to buya white one and be done with it. But I would like something different. Another option could be having it sprayed to look metal rather than going down the polished and lacquered route.

I need to look around on the internet for ideas. But you're right, it could look shite if I'm not careful :D
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

I would get the dent fixed and spray it the original colour but with bare alloy stripes ,that would look really cool and actually quite easy to do
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Blade wrote:I wouldn't spend money on pegs and pushrods to bling up the stock rear sets it will probably cost you half what a pair of Ses rearsets will cost. There adjustable so you can get your prefect position. Very good quality at any price but a bargain at just over £200. Had them on the Blade for a few years and still look like new.
ive just ordered some ses rearsets im glad you rate them,delivery is taking a while though
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

The new plastics are white so the tank needs spraying regardless.

Alloy stripes might work.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Perkles wrote:
Blade wrote:I wouldn't spend money on pegs and pushrods to bling up the stock rear sets it will probably cost you half what a pair of Ses rearsets will cost. There adjustable so you can get your prefect position. Very good quality at any price but a bargain at just over £200. Had them on the Blade for a few years and still look like new.
ive just ordered some ses rearsets im glad you rate them,delivery is taking a while though
Probably a back log of racers orders. They are good if you need spares too.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Blade wrote:
Perkles wrote:
Probably a back log of racers orders. They are good if you need spares too.
talk of the devil they just arrived,nice quality :)
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Kwacky wrote:No need to apologise, i want peoples' input on this.

The tank is what I'm not sure about. It'll be easier to buya white one and be done with it. But I would like something different. Another option could be having it sprayed to look metal rather than going down the polished and lacquered route.

I need to look around on the internet for ideas. But you're right, it could look shite if I'm not careful :D
Not sure if they do them for kwacks but what about an endurance fuel tank? Better range is what I always want on a bike. Ideal opportunity....
Godzilla
Your Bike:

Post by Godzilla »

Not sure about matching with the colour but a stainless steel tank would look good on its own and is doable. Dont forget the De Lorean was stainless steel.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I think Endurance race tanks are made as one off specials for race teams. I'm sure there are some but they're likely to be attached to a race bike. Getting one made won't be cheap. Nice idea though.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Looked into endurance tanks myself. They are available but your looking at £2000 plus as hand made taking over 40 man hours apparently.
Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Post by Itchy »

Would another model tank fit, if you're going to go down that route?
Blade

Post by Blade »

OK far out suggestion.

Zx10 engine
Carbon wheels
Ohlins suzzies
Bazza traction control, quick shifter unit
Brembo CNC monoblocks

And I'll set it all up for ya but will need it most of August unless it rains and then I'll have to have it for September too. As your a mate I'll do then set up for free and only charge you mates rates for the storage.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I think the newer 636 model tanks fit but none of the old ones.

This place does custom tanks but you're looking at a 40 week waiting time! http://www.thetankshop.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Cheers Blade, you're a pal :D

The zx10r engine will need a new frame to house it and a new exhaust system as well. You any good at welding?
Blade

Post by Blade »

I m amazing at welding send all the bling round and 40 weeks later I will give you a crashed and thrashed race bike I have abused for 38 weeks 8)
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

You need one of these. Best looking accessory by far. :D