Guest Blog

The news and your views about biking
T.C.
Your Bike: Blackbird

Guest Blog

Post by T.C. »

My good friend and fellow twitterer, Chris Harrison has written a very interesting and engaging blog about SMIDSY incidents.

You might enjoy reading what he has to say on the subject as well.

https://www.hudgellsolicitors.co.uk/new ... or-smidsy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Guest Blog

Post by Kwacky »

For a long time now I've worked on the basis that the driver hasn't seen me. I find if you move across your lane, that movement alone can be enough for the driver to spot you. Even if they don't you're in a better road position to avoid a collision should they continue and pull out on you.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Good read.

I go with the theory that everyone out there is an idiot.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Kwacky wrote:For a long time now I've worked on the basis that the driver hasn't seen me.
Same, I find if you think this way it saves disappointment.

Interesting point about using the horn. I've stopped doing it now, but my mentor from the IaM always suggested a quick beep on the horn of you weren't sure if a driver had seen you or not. Thus should always be followed up by a quick wave to diffuse any possible tension made by the usage of the horn.

As an aside, it doesn't seem to matter what your level of training is for lack of recognition to be an issue as an ambulance proved for me today.

I was on a decent sized roundabout with the right indicator going, lent to the right, and looking to the right (save a quick glance at the ambulance driver) yes he had seen me and still pulled put in front of me. Fortunately due to rule 1, this was thought about and nothing came of it.

I'm 100% sure there was no malicious intent, just a simple miscalculation.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti