What do you want to vent about today?

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Re: What do you want to vent about today?

Post by kiwikrasher »

StMarks wrote:
IMHO the early 20's is pleasantly warm, but the 30's is too warm to work hard all day without feeling the effects.??
I work in 35+ on days and 30+ on nights, in 70-100% humidity depending on the season offshore. You get used to it and we have random hydration testing to ensure everyone stays safely hydrated. We have a lot of training on heat stress as well.

At home in summer we regularly got up to 35-40 during the warmest months and will usually have 5-10 days at 40+. I love the heat, I hate winter.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Yep...it's the humidity that will make you suffer.

Well, that...and throwing up inside your lid is not the most fun I've ever had.

All things said & done, I'd rather be hot on the bike than cold....cold means you can't move around...your fingers turn to icicles, etc/
D41

Post by D41 »

People who talk about themselves in the 3rd person.

WTF??

There's some guy on TV....talking about why he was ejected from the Olympics in '68....

"Tommie Smith does not appreciate some of the sentiments that people expressed to him". "Tommie Smith is simply not like that", "Tommie Smith did what Tommie felt was right at the time...." blah, blah.

HE is Tommie Smith. What a r'tard.

Darren would like to punch him in the face right about now. M'ron.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Tossers who take it slow on slip roads

I come off the motorway and there's a long slip road to join a 70mph dual carriageway. Van in front decides he's better off doing 30mph whilst trying to join the traffic. In the end I have to shoot past him as he's deciding what to do, use the rest of the slip road to undertake a car on the adjoining road and then carry on my merry way.

This happens a lot. People seem to get scared joining another road.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

What annoys me is when people in a 320bhp £40k car think they deserve to be in front of you in your £650 Audi.

I was in a hurry but first at the lights so I went in the left hand lane. Guy in an M235i pulls up next to me. Lights change to green and he pulls away fast, I pull away too and end up infront of him (it's a 90* right hand bend which he slowed for - a lot) coming onto the straight I accelerate and I'm rightfully in front when the lanes merge; he should yield. He decides he is going to get in front of me at practically any cost and almost hits a traffic island in the process then continues doing around 90mph in a 40 zone. It's quite a short stretch of 2 lane before the merge and he ended up turning off at the next set of lights when I breezed past him.

It frustrates me when people drive like arseholes just because.
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

The price of Motogp tickets - I paid £15 for the practice/test day 2 yrs ago they are asking for £26 this year , luckily I have been able to bag some for tomorrow only for free ( ish, I promised a few photo's on their facebook page ) , courtesy of the nice chaps at Pure Triumph Woburn .
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

Just reading the moans about our road users, man that's all it's been this week.

Everyone is in a rush, everyone wants to be in front and can't wait, it's official the standard of driving has slipped to an all time low, it's no surprise there are so many smacks out there.

Nobody seems to give a stuff, well at least when I am out of the car and on the bike I have the freedom to just get going.

Also I would say the bike riding standards has slipped as well, the amount of crap riding I saw on my way home from North Wales on Monday was terrible.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Frankie wrote:Just reading the moans about our road users, man that's all it's been this week.

Everyone is in a rush, everyone wants to be in front and can't wait, it's official the standard of driving has slipped to an all time low, it's no surprise there are so many smacks out there.

Nobody seems to give a stuff, well at least when I am out of the car and on the bike I have the freedom to just get going.

Also I would say the bike riding standards has slipped as well, the amount of crap riding I saw on my way home from North Wales on Monday was terrible.
I second the idea that riding standards have slipped.. most riders I see are terrible, wobbly when lane splitting (usually after sitting in traffic for 1 mile already) and lane position is that of a car in ALL scenarios.

The few I see on the motorway have Polite vests on so they're immediately C-Nuts
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

Ebay bike listed on there some idiot has clicked buy it now even though i thought i was listed as a classified add which i selected on ebay. Then the guy writes my ex Mrs has been buying all sorts changing my password blah blah blah .... **** TIME WASTING DICKS and ebay make the whole process harder as they are MONEY GRABBING WANKERS
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Internships....

Seemingly for some companies the best way to exploit kids fresh out of education. Our youngest is a clever kid and is now finished at Uni and looking for a job in London. She's applied for many jobs and they keep throwing the experience card at her (she's just out of uni FFS) so she's been doing some internships.

The process is the same - CV, go for interview, get offer. Some pay, most don't. She's done a couple now - a month at each. They are with reputable companies in the PR game. Both times she turns up - nothing for her to do. Maybe get some coffee for all of us? Maybe photocopy some stuff. It takes at least 2 weeks for each of the companies to get her doing anything vaguely relevant.

In the meantime it's costing her a fortune to travel each day and she's staying with different members of our family who luckily we have some of in London. She's now got an evening job in the pub as soon as she gets home each night, just to cover the travel expenses and being able to eat. She's knackered, stressed and skint.

Lucky her has been offered a paid internship at one company - we'll pay you £100 a month for travel. Wow thanks. It costs £50 a week to get there.

When did we get to a point in society where we don't help our young get jobs, aspire to owning their own house and have a comfortable life when they are clearly capable and can contribute greatly to society?

All that happens now when most kids get out of Uni is that they are told they will never own a house, there are no jobs unless your lucky, no training / apprentice opportunities in many fields and by the way - you owe the government £50k before you start.

She's determined and we will try and help

and breathe...........

The more i see of society the less i like these days (or am i an old man - probably.)
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

C00kiemonster wrote:The more i see of society the less i like these days (or am i an old man - probably.)
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivfDnt8bEWc[/video]
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Not being funny cookie but that's life now.

We have an army engineer working for us at the moment he came from a fully qualified position in the British Army to a civilian design engineering life where they treat him like shit, teach him nothing and pay him peanuts. He has worked for us for a year and has realised civvies have it rough he will be moving on soon because he hates it.

I'm sure your youngest will do fine mate she clearly determined and willing to work she'll know when she finds the right company that she wants to stay with. She's just got to bare with it for a little while longer like everything I suppose it takes some time. No one has it easy
Cav

Post by Cav »

C00kiemonster wrote:Internships....

Seemingly for some companies the best way to exploit kids fresh out of education. Our youngest is a clever kid and is now finished at Uni and looking for a job in London. She's applied for many jobs and they keep throwing the experience card at her (she's just out of uni FFS) so she's been doing some internships.

The process is the same - CV, go for interview, get offer. Some pay, most don't. She's done a couple now - a month at each. They are with reputable companies in the PR game. Both times she turns up - nothing for her to do. Maybe get some coffee for all of us? Maybe photocopy some stuff. It takes at least 2 weeks for each of the companies to get her doing anything vaguely relevant.

In the meantime it's costing her a fortune to travel each day and she's staying with different members of our family who luckily we have some of in London. She's now got an evening job in the pub as soon as she gets home each night, just to cover the travel expenses and being able to eat. She's knackered, stressed and skint.

Lucky her has been offered a paid internship at one company - we'll pay you £100 a month for travel. Wow thanks. It costs £50 a week to get there.

When did we get to a point in society where we don't help our young get jobs, aspire to owning their own house and have a comfortable life when they are clearly capable and can contribute greatly to society?

All that happens now when most kids get out of Uni is that they are told they will never own a house, there are no jobs unless your lucky, no training / apprentice opportunities in many fields and by the way - you owe the government £50k before you start.

She's determined and we will try and help

and breathe...........

The more i see of society the less i like these days (or am i an old man - probably.)

Sorry to hear this Cookie but she sounds determined and that alone is worth more than any travel expenses. These companies sound sh!t and from what I hear, all PR companies are like that - especially in London. People try and trip up other people because they want the bonus that month or because they want the promotion, this is something she will need to get used to if she wants to work in that industry. Mind you, once you get your foot in the door the pay is bloody brilliant. A colleague's friend works in PR in London and owns a BMW M235i aged 24.

All she can do is keep contacting companies, reading up about them, finding employees of the company on social media (Linked In?) and gauge how happy the work force is. Ring them rather than email them, make it a personal thing where they feel they are talking to a real person rather than an email. When I applied for my apprenticeship I found out exactly who I would be dealing with for the apprenticeship and contacted them directly, I asked for a tour around the site and asked if they had anymore literature that I could read through in my spare time to help find out about them.

Uni is far from what it's cracked up to be these days; most young people I work with have loads of debt, no experience but loads of knowledge (most of which they will never need). That said, all of these graduates get significantly better pay than I do currently and they also get the job title (hence pay) because they have the degree. There isn't much they do that I can't but there's a lot of stuff I have to help them with because they don't know what to do. <<<That's my little rant for the day.

I'm not sure if any of this will help you although I am sure she'll stick with it and make it pay in the long run (y)
D41

Post by D41 »

I gotta be honest...I see the employer's point of view with this sorta thing.

No-one wants to be burning through scads of younguns looking for work. But there's so often a sense of self-entitlement that comes with a lot of these kids that you just have to weed them out a little bit, and see who's in it for the long haul.

3-4 weeks of grunt work usually sorts the wheat from the chaff...those who expect to work, & those who expect a free lunch, soastospeak.
If they prove they can put up with that, then the job starts getting easier for them, and the pay starts getting better...a LOT better.

Don't like it??...then kindly feck off, and there's no hard feelings...well, not at my end. Piss me off though, and not only will you not work for me again, you'll be out of the trade...not out of any vitriol at all. But any journeyman knows that if someone is letting an app. go, then it's for a good reason, and no-one else will ever use that lad again except in a pinch.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I won't be in the slightest bit bothered if my kids don't go to university. I'm sure some parents do it just to tell people their kids got a degree. Woman I work with is forever going on about her 2 kids having gone to uni. They're in their late 20s now. Where has it got them? Living in rented houses bouncing from job to job.

Times have changed, generally degrees aren't worth much now and companies are exploiting that.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

My best mate did a Fitter & Turner apprenticeship, then a Diploma and then a degree in Mechanical Engineering, all while working for the same company. He always says the degree was the worst value for money education he has completed. He's one of the most well rounded engineers I know, and I've worked with plenty on a day to day basis throughout my working life.

Funny though, I left school before I finished my last year, only formal training was military, rest had been self study by correspondence or in my off time, and I make a significant premium over him. The flip of that is if I lose my job chances of getting the same pay is unlikely, where he'll walk into another Engineers job easily with his qual's and experience.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Just a thought... how about she pushes the envelope a little bit and applies for the job rather than an internship with an extended probation period? That way she is getting paid (win for her) and is very likely to get the full 3-6 months experience which, if she does get laid off, means she has more chance of getting another job but the liklihood is she will stay there...

...just a thought :)
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Cav wrote:Just a thought... how about she pushes the envelope a little bit and applies for the job rather than an internship with an extended probation period? That way she is getting paid (win for her) and is very likely to get the full 3-6 months experience which, if she does get laid off, means she has more chance of getting another job but the liklihood is she will stay there...

...just a thought :)
Its a good thought and she is applying for positions too. She's very determined but I do hate seeing her struggle. She needs to establish herself so its pointless us bailing her out as she needs to do this all for herself but as a parent it's difficult to watch. Im very proud of her determination though (clap)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

That's the hardest part, seeing her struggle. But as you know, she's a good kid and she's very bright, she'll find her feet.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

When you spend a small fortune on VIP Dress Circle tickets to a musical for your lasses birthday and the day after you give them to her, a friend of hers offers her two comp tickets, incl. back stage and after party entry on the same night (facepalm)