Hypermotard test ride

The news and your views about biking
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Hypermotard test ride

Post by duke63 »

Went to the new Ducati dealership DMC in Stoke to test ride their Hypermotard demo.

Got there in nice sunshine, was a bit nippy but OK.

Ran through the controls and then set off on some of the qulaity roads around there. Their demo bike is the standard model which has the same engine as the SP but failry basic suspension. The bike doesn't look that big but the seat height is tall and you are sat well forward over the front wheel like a sportsbike. Took me a while to get used to it but once i did it was fine. Bike was on Pireli Rosso 11 tyres and they had plenty of grip and confidence inspiring.

Went out towards Eccleshall and once in Eccleshall took the road to a place called Loggerheads out towards Market Drayton. Its one of my favourite roads. Twisty, not many villages and quiet. A road ideal for the Hyper. The bike is sublime through corners. It is very light and you can almost think it through the corners. No effort required at all. The engine has plenty of overtaking grunt. At 6000rpm it really starts shifting and makes a decent noise.

Was a bit concerned what it would be like at decent speeds and whilst not as comfy as the Multi its more than adequate for UK A and B roads and they do a bigger screen if required. They also do a race seat which is a must IMHO as the standard seat holds you in one position making it impossible to move backwards due to the hump to the pillion perch.

I went to Market Drayton from Loggerheads to fuel up and then went back to enjoy the same road :D (devil)

When i got back to Eccleshall, i still had plenty of time left so decided to go out towards Newport and back via Woodseaves. Big mistake! Firstly dark clouds were gathering out towards Wales and after one long straight i could see Police Slow signs and went round a bend to find a cop car across the road and traffic being diverted through the narrow lanes. I did eevntually find my way back onto a road i knew but it was now spitting with rain and time was getting on. Decided to head into Stafford and back up the M6 to see what the bike was like on the motorway. By the time i got to the mway, it was pissing down and the temp had dropped to 3 deg C (gah) .

Anyway had no option but to go back up the M6. TBH the bike was better on there than i though and the wind resistance was not a massive issue though not sure i would want to do it for hours.

Once i got back to DMC i was soaked.

Had a quick hot coffee in the showroom, a chat and then headed home getting wetter and colder by the minute.

All in, the bike is a better all rounder than i had anticipated. I must confess that for 80% of my riding it makes more sense than a new Multi. Its faster turning, less weight, grips the road superbly and gives me a big grin....but still not sure how it would cope on a Euro tour. If i'm honest i'm no further to making a decision than i was beforehand. Still if i'm not sure i might just keep what i have. Need to get a longer test ride on the new Multi next.
IMG_1503[1].JPG
IMG_1505[1].JPG
IMG_1507[1].JPG
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Hypermotard test ride

Post by Kwacky »

Top review, cheers Duke (y)

I do like the look of that bike.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Bugger. I was hoping it would be rubbish. I do like them :)

Good review as always :)
markrsvr15
Your Bike: aprilia rsvr

Post by markrsvr15 »

Looks real nice that bike.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

I too was hoping you were going to say it's a horrendous bike... I love the look of these things and would love to own one.

Still, glad you had a great ride out on it - think you should borrow one for saturday and the multi for the sunday and do back to back testing ;)