Wet trackdays

The news and your views about biking
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Re: Wet trackdays

Post by Frankie »

A wet track day can be fun, you will only know when you are on track in my opinion. I have done a few, I have to say my fav was Brands on a hired bike with wets on (first time ridden with wets) it was amazing, I felt like a riding god, until the afternoon when the sun came out and I was back to being done by everyone lol.

Stay warm and dry is my message of wisdom, I could not get my gloves back on with my hands so cold and wet, makes for a crap time.

St Marks that was a real moment... on your vid, however I have to say, this is wet (see below) I think I packed it in early on this one, it just was not fun, which is the whole point! and I had to ride home in it as well :(

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq3vUyWoh-0[/video]
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Not sure on warmers either....location is everything....we used to get told 2 laps to get them up to temp....but then it's hot as fcuk to begin with??

3 year old tyres should be dumped....means you just had them 3 years,,,,God knows when they were made....?
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Both Blade and Darren are right, SC01 & SC02 are track tyres that need warmers and a quick rider to keep the heat in them and hopefully get them hotter once out on track, once off track the warmer go straight back on to prevent those heat cycles as they degrade the tyre performance.
Personally I didn't use those on track if they were over 2yrs old, as both temp changes in your garage and sunlight will degrade the rubber, however if you want to check the date on them it should be on the sidewall as a number, showing month and year of manufacture, i.e. 2415 - the 24th week in 2015, that way you'll know if you've got a 3yr old tyre or a 8yr old tyre.

A good way to check condition of a tyre is to see if it's blued (gotten very hot) and/or is near or past its life, or to push your thumbnail into the tread rubber and see how soft (or hard) it is.

On the question of tyres, a very knowledgeable ex-racer and former member of 675.cc once told me "tyres=confidence", it's a very good piece of advice that I eventually learnt to my cost was 100% correct.

Fingers crossed you have a great day whatever you decide though Andy. (y)