What do you want to vent about today?

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Re: What do you want to vent about today?

Post by StMarks »

Fwiw I worked with someone who used to to do exactly that on a regular basis.
He would often allow people to make appointments with him, and then purposefully be "too busy" to see them when they arrived.
He seemed to delight in the obvious frustration & annoyance that they would attempt to conceal, and if they allowed (even slightly) their upset be apparent, he would relish the opportunity to use it against them.
Twunts like him seem incapable of giving a dam about efficiency, they are only interested in their own myopic aspect.

I try to pity them their deficiency, but often struggle to.
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

Working in the welsh office some guy turns up and tries to flog me robots whilst i was on tea break. I told him i was too busy. Hahaha
dogbot
Your Bike:

Post by dogbot »

C00kiemonster wrote:
dogbot wrote:I've spent most of the last 24 hours applying a really critical security patch to customer servers. We have literally hundreds of customer servers, and this is going to have to be done out of hours on most of them, meaning I have a LOT of work to do in the next week or so.

My boss has just informed me that one our customers has requested that before I do this on their sites, I raise a change request for each of their sites and email the sites individually to discuss it. This will add about an hour a site to their patching process...

Really?

Fine, you can go last, then. Don't blame me if you get hacked in the intervening week because your process is more important than actually being secure.

Twats.
I hear what your saying but some ms patches really screw with some application servers especially. Don't these people have dev or test servers to test or confidence test the patch before the patch is applied to production?

Sorry, talking shop again :). Stop tempting me :)
Sorry.

However... This is glibc dns exploit for Linux servers that was announced on Monday. It's an extremely critical security hole that's been found (basically, any server performing a DNS lookup can be remotely taken over) and if we don't patch it, they're massively at risk. All the servers are similar, run variations of a suite of applications that only differ by version. We've tested and approved the patch and it's essential.

Delaying it for procedural pfaffing is... daft and irritating.

I was up til 3am this morning patching servers. Ugh.

Anyway, bikes, eh? :D
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

dogbot wrote:
C00kiemonster wrote:
dogbot wrote:I've spent most of the last 24 hours applying a really critical security patch to customer servers. We have literally hundreds of customer servers, and this is going to have to be done out of hours on most of them, meaning I have a LOT of work to do in the next week or so.

My boss has just informed me that one our customers has requested that before I do this on their sites, I raise a change request for each of their sites and email the sites individually to discuss it. This will add about an hour a site to their patching process...

Really?

Fine, you can go last, then. Don't blame me if you get hacked in the intervening week because your process is more important than actually being secure.

Twats.
I hear what your saying but some ms patches really screw with some application servers especially. Don't these people have dev or test servers to test or confidence test the patch before the patch is applied to production?

Sorry, talking shop again :). Stop tempting me :)
Sorry.

However... This is glibc dns exploit for Linux servers that was announced on Monday. It's an extremely critical security hole that's been found (basically, any server performing a DNS lookup can be remotely taken over) and if we don't patch it, they're massively at risk. All the servers are similar, run variations of a suite of applications that only differ by version. We've tested and approved the patch and it's essential.

Delaying it for procedural pfaffing is... daft and irritating.

I was up til 3am this morning patching servers. Ugh.

Anyway, bikes, eh? :D
Ooh that's a bad one. Good luck :)

Yeah. Bikes are ace.
dogbot
Your Bike:

Post by dogbot »

I've just put them off until last, tbh. Delayed 3 days because they want tickets raising. Mwuauah.

Should be mostly done with the rest tonight. They can wait until Sunday night.

Wicked slice of overtime for this, though. 8)
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Had the wifes car in for a MOT today and made enquiries about my car as the brake pedal has quite a bit of travel. Not dangerous or anything but just not as good as they could be or as good as the wife's car.

My car had its brake fluid changed 3000 miles / 5 months ago but the pedal is soft like there is air in the system compared to my wifes car (both cars have the same brakes) so asked if they would rectify the issues as it has service contract with them for 5 years.

I was told they would have to charge me £83 (half an hours labour (shocked) ) to diagnose if the brakes needed bleeding. I asked how much a brake bleed was. It's £62. Is it me or is that taking the micky. £83 to see if it needs £62 of work.

My logic says just do the job it's cheaper (gah)
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Blade wrote:Had the wifes car in for a MOT today and made enquiries about my car as the brake pedal has quite a bit of travel. Not dangerous or anything but just not as good as they could be or as good as the wife's car.

My car had its brake fluid changed 3000 miles / 5 months ago but the pedal is soft like there is air in the system compared to my wifes car (both cars have the same brakes) so asked if they would rectify the issues as it has service contract with them for 5 years.

I was told they would have to charge me £83 (half an hours labour (shocked) ) to diagnose if the brakes needed bleeding. I asked how much a brake bleed was. It's £62. Is it me or is that taking the micky. £83 to see if it needs £62 of work.

My logic says just do the job it's cheaper (gah)
Piss take IMO.

Either they just bleed the brakes anyway or do it yourself. A man of your mechanical skill should do it easily.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Drivers who ignore the overhead signs on the motorway that a lane is closed and expect to be let in at the very last moment when the obstruction in the carriageway is 10ft in front of them.

...only for these **** to find tonight that two plod were stood there on front of the accident noting down the reg numbers of the drivers doing this very thing. I hope they get a ticket for ignoring the lane closed sign.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Cookie I will either do it myself as you suggest or take to the local indy who has a great reputation and only charges £35 for a brake fluid change, which is only £22 more than BMW would charge me for the brake fluid to do it myself so not sure it's worth the hours hassle tbh.

It's was the irony of the main stealer charging £83 to see if £62 of work needed doing that got me.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

D6 wrote:Working in the welsh office some guy turns up and tries to flog me robots whilst i was on tea break. I told him i was too busy. Hahaha
Trumpets are still made by slitty eyed people aren't they ? One day they might progress into the modern world :D
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Blade wrote:Cookie I will either do it myself as you suggest or take to the local indy who has a great reputation and only charges £35 for a brake fluid change, which is only £22 more than BMW would charge me for the brake fluid to do it myself so not sure it's worth the hours hassle tbh.

It's was the irony of the main stealer charging £83 to see if £62 of work needed doing that got me.
If they have the service contract, doesn't that mean they are responsible for the air being in there anyway since they did the fluid change I'm guessing? If that is the case why aren't they doing it free of charge?
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

duke63 wrote:Drivers who ignore the overhead signs on the motorway that a lane is closed and expect to be let in at the very last moment when the obstruction in the carriageway is 10ft in front of them.
Drivers that drive up the arse of each other so I can't push in at the last second (hi)
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Blade

Post by Blade »

kiwikrasher wrote:
Blade wrote:Cookie I will either do it myself as you suggest or take to the local indy who has a great reputation and only charges £35 for a brake fluid change, which is only £22 more than BMW would charge me for the brake fluid to do it myself so not sure it's worth the hours hassle tbh.

If they have the service contract, doesn't that mean they are responsible for the air being in there anyway since they did the fluid change I'm guessing? If that is the case why aren't they doing it free of charge?
I totally agree kiwi unfortunately they don't seem too.
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

Perkles wrote:
D6 wrote:Working in the welsh office some guy turns up and tries to flog me robots whilst i was on tea break. I told him i was too busy. Hahaha
Trumpets are still made by slitty eyed people aren't they ? One day they might progress into the modern world :D
Surely you're not suggesting the welsh are modern?
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

F**king workmates that do their best to be difficult, blatantly on purpose. It's bad enough being stuck out here on night shifts without that carry on.
(gah) (gah) (gah) (gah) (gah) (gah) (gah) (gah) (gah) (gah) (gah)
Blade

Post by Blade »

Ignore them Kiwi there is always some bellend wanting to upset folk because they can. I know the feeling and sometimes difficult to ignore them but don't give them the satisfaction of rising to their stupid, awkward ways.

Hope it improves and settles down buddy.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Blade wrote:Ignore them Kiwi there is always some bellend wanting to upset folk because they can. I know the feeling and sometimes difficult to ignore them but don't give them the satisfaction of rising to their stupid, awkward ways.

Hope it improves and settles down buddy.
I just did three laps of the platform, alternating between top deck and cellar deck via 2 flights of stairs at each corner just to calm down.

It's amazing how much one person can change your experience. The Tech I share my office with for the first week is a mellow, helpful and very knowledgeable guy. You never have to ask for a hand as he pre-empts the need to give one every time, couldn't ask for more. Then he leaves and I get the opposite :|
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

You're on nights and you've a truckload of sharks circling. Need I say more?

Seriously though, you know he's massive arse, find a way to get him shifted away from your work sphere, this guy is being difficult because A, he enjoys winding you up, B, can't help being a tw*t, C most worryingly may see you losing it as gaining him more money or a better work position.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Deegee wrote:You're on nights and you've a truckload of sharks circling. Need I say more?

Seriously though, you know he's massive arse, find a way to get him shifted away from your work sphere, this guy is being difficult because A, he enjoys winding you up, B, can't help being a tw*t, C most worryingly may see you losing it as gaining him more money or a better work position.
Nah Deegee, C. isn't a worry, he's the same level and pay as myself, we are in the same roles but look after different but adjoining areas, hence we share a field office. There is nothing sinister in it, he's just inherently lazy and a wind up merchant. Normally I can take it, but tonight it just got to me. I've just ignored him the rest of the night so far and I think he's finally got the point.

There is someone else on the platform that I'd love to throw over to the sharks, but there is a fair line up for that opportunity, and I don't have to deal with him all too much :D

Probably didn't help I had a stressful convo with the ex before shift.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

@Kiwikrasher really hope things improve for you mate. Ignore the t&at and really hope it improves for you