Cat-D right offs

The news and your views about biking
Norfolknchance
Your Bike: Daytona 675 06

Cat-D right offs

Post by Norfolknchance »

I have seen a bike that is going quite cheaply.The bike came from insurance company (category D) after being subjected to the theft attempt and as a result its steering lock is broken. It comes with an MOT valid till December 2016. Aside from some damage to paintwork on the tank everything else seems in order. 
What are the pitfalls involved in purchasing such a bike. What is it like to get insurance. 

The bike is a Z1000sx 2012 model with ABS.

Cheers

Gavin
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Cat-D right offs

Post by Kwacky »

It depends on the Insurer, but the vast majority of them are fine with a Cat D going back on the road. Some may ask to see an MOT but that's about it.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

resale ,I would want it very cheap
Norfolknchance
Your Bike: Daytona 675 06

Post by Norfolknchance »

Its just under £5000 with 5000 miles on the clocks.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

That's a good price, the SX seems to be holding it's value at resale.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

My bike was a Cat D.
Cat D is cosmetic damage only, so as long as you're happy to repair the damage it's good to go & the MOT is still valid.
Cat C would indicate that the assessor perceived structural damage. (Although I've brought Cat C that have actually only suffered damage to replaceable components, it seems to me that the damage threshold is moving gradually upwards)
Cat B should only be scavenged for parts, & the frame should be destroyed. (Certification is required to purchase a Cat B, and you must be able to prove compliance).
Resale value, & payout in event of an insurance claim are the only real concerns in purchasing a Cat D IMHO.

Of course there is a real problem with this one that you have found NFC.; It's a Kwacky.!
T.C.
Your Bike: Blackbird

Post by T.C. »

If you are happy that the bike is sound then there is no problem ith a Cat D other than it is not going to have the value of a non write off bike.

It is one of the issues with insurers in that they write bikes off for the silliest of reasons. A freind of mine had a brand new ZZR1200 which was involved in a realatively minor crash. The frame suffered some small scratches but it was written off as a cat D and being beyond economical repair. It was not as if the strength of the frame had been compromised, it just needed a few dabs of aint, but even then it was not realy noticable

I sometimes think that the insurers make a rod for their own backs just so they can increase premiums, or hope that they can make money off Cat C & D bikes and make a bigger profit.
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next
StMarks

Post by StMarks »

I have an account with Copart, and the disparity in write offs is "entertaining".
For example there was a 2014 CBR600rr not long ago that was a Cat B.
Like the one that TC mentioned it had a gravel rashed frame, but apart from that & some plastics & the messed up fuel tank it was perfect. It was even listed as "runs & drives".!
Obviously I'm not certified to dispose of a vehicle, so frustratingly was precluded from bidding for it. (gah) That annoyed me, because a 2,500 mile CBR would make a pretty good trackday tool IMHO.
As it happened I needn't have been concerned. I was obviously not the only person who could see it's potential, and after a bit of a bidding war it sold (to someone in Lithuania) for over £ 5.5k (shocked)

I have also seen Cat D applied to cheap old saloon cars, where the bodyshell itself has sustained structural (that I personally would consider made them irreparable, only "bodge-able" ).
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Nowt wrong with a Cat D, it's all as StM says, I also have one in my garage, the only drawbacks I've found are a significantly reduced selling price and in my own experience a refusal to take it as a part ex against another bike. Other than its all golden.
dogbot
Your Bike:

Post by dogbot »

My car is a Cat D write off. It says so on the V5 and I bought it knowing so. It was cheap because of it, too.

It was written off by Norwich Union because it was parked and a nearby river flooded. There was no damage, but the wheels were in a foot of water.

That was at 12k miles. I bought it at 70k and I've done 10k and it's perfect. I could only sell it on for about what I paid for it, because of the Cat D, but as long as you know what you're looking at and the place selling seems on the level, I see no reason not to consider one.
dogbot
Your Bike:

Post by dogbot »

Two days ago I wrote that, and in the intervening time, said car has had a rear brake caliper fail. Obviously, water damaged... :lol:

Grrr. I should learn to keep my mouth shut...
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Did you look any more into getting the bike?
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Never knew much about all these written off vehicles, all pretty interesting. Clearly a good way of picking up cheaper vehicles
StMarks

Post by StMarks »

Rossgo wrote:Never knew much about all these written off vehicles, all pretty interesting. Clearly a good way of picking up cheaper vehicles
If you're happy to/enjoy repairing motorbikes then it is a pretty sensible option IMHO.
Obviously not for people who want a pristine new...
Perfect for track bike project purchase toos, apparently. ;)
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

For the track it sounds a great way of picking up a good bike for less. Even for the road it's a good idea. You just have to have all the documentsbof what went on and knowledge of how to repair it, or learn how to repair and work on it as a project.