Driving on the wrong side of the road.

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Driving on the wrong side of the road.

Post by Frankie »

Ok this is a rant, I have this urge to get it off my chest, but it cannot only be me ? Surely !

Over the past few month I have noticed people getting a lot worse with lane discipline, people.not able to take corners and cutting them so they are in my lane, motorways where they are just drifting so close to the lines, and many cases crossing them. As well as drifting towards me on "A" roads moving in the opposite direction.

It never used to be this bad, is it me just being paranoid, or are they seriously a lot worse, most likely using phones etc...
I know I have not being doing the mileage for a while during my little break, but now I am again, I cannot believe how crap the driving has become. Everyone seems far more aggressive.

I would like to know what the stats are on crashes and bumps on our roads, I bet the figures are rising, some people really should not have the right to be on them.....they do my bloody head in.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Re: Driving on the wrong side of the road.

Post by Perkles »

im the same as you Frankie driving all over the country and agree the driving standard is much poorer now,I think its people texting and using mobiles
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

There's a website somewhere whereby you can enter all different parameters into their calculator and it will show you the impact it has on driving. For example (with made up numbers), changing the radio station while travelling on the motorway: 1 second at 70mph = 31metres travelled (while not paying attention to the road). That's pretty much 93 people stood back to back.

When you factor in someone reading a tweet is probably more like 3 seconds that's 93m travelled (279 people stoof back to back or 16 car lengths)

There's a site connected with this one that will also show you the number of crashes/incidents etc and the reasons for these crashes. One thing that stuck in my mind is that over 70% of crashes in the city are by females whereas over 70% of crashes in rural areas are by men.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Driving standards in the UK are some of the worst in western Europe now from what i have experienced in the last couple of years...and there are just too many vehicles on the roads.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Driving is very bad now. There's a road near work, marked out with two lanes. The roundabout has two lanes and the road you enter has two painted lanes.

If someone stood there for a day and observed I would be very surprised if more than 20% of the drivers followed the lanes round.

Whenever I'm on the bike I have to make sure I get alongside the driver before he/she enters the roundabout otherwise I'm going to get cut up.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

Frankie, just coincidence or you've forgotten how bad it is
Monty™© MCMLXXII
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Guilty as charged Fkkr1s. Image

Fwiw my lane discipline is appalling.:
I follow the shortest line on the inside of the corner on a motorway, even if the left hand lanes are empty.
I take the racing line through all corners, wide-apex-wide.
I often take the left lane when I'm not taking the first exit of a roundabout.
I rarely brake, gauging my speed to avoid ever having to stop...
I don't use my indicators.!!

Except I only do so, when there are no other road users to interact with. (angel) (apart from my avoiding braking).

So I feel more than a little hypocritical when I'm constantly astounded by the increasing numbers of other road users who seem oblivious to the fact that they are performing that sorts of driving in normal traffic conditions.
Utter muppets who change lanes without even cursory observations, let alone any checks or indication are one of my (many) pet hates. Even worse when they are obviously far too busy on their phones to be bothering themselves with such an unimportant activity as taking due care...

Rant not over, rant barely even slightly begun.!
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

I drive perfectly, but then I do drive a merc (devil)
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

As an Audi driver I'm keeping my mouth shut.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

I think it's because we have a lot more drivers out on the road now and a fair few have their distractions eg mobile phones radios etc. Only yesterday I was driving and I saw a fella behind me on his mobile he overtook me while on his mobile....not calling (which is bad enough) but reading and texting hardly looking up, I thought it was stupid as deck he must of been travelling 80 or 85MPH. Some people have no common sense or they have the 'it won't happen to me' theory.

I think these people should go to a family who has lost their sons / daughters due to a careless driver and see what their actions could lead to