breakdown cover

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Perkles
Your Bike:

breakdown cover

Post by Perkles »

ok so do I join AA ,RAC or green flag ?
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: breakdown cover

Post by Kwacky »

For the car?
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Yep
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Perkles wrote:ok so do I join AA ,RAC or green flag ?
Yes
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

Depending who you bank with you could check what's included with different accounts. I get aa membership, mobile phone insurance and worldwide travel insurance included with mine amongst other perks.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

DaytonAndy wrote:Depending who you bank with you could check what's included with different accounts. I get aa membership, mobile phone insurance and worldwide travel insurance included with mine amongst other perks.
Me to, with the Nationwide. Costs something like 13 quid a month and includes European breakdown
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

The AA, but only because they've pulled my sorry ass out of the mire on 3 separate occaisions.
Tbh I checked and found that when I was researching, the AA had more patrols, better response times and were not bike manglers if I broke down (and I did) on a bike.
In short they seemed better and have since proved themselves so.
Check your bank stuff though as you might have some freebies you can top up to sensible cover levels for a knockdown price.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

I'm with the RAC and have been for years. I've got personal cover for myself and Mrs nutz, basically covers any vehicle we drive.

I did go to the aa for a year, but they screwed me over when the bike broke down.

Tbh I think their all much of a muchness, it's luck of the draw as to whether you get a half decent mechanic. The only one I wouldn't bother with are the policies insurance companies try to add on. Very bad experiences with then when I had the D600.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
T.C.
Your Bike: Blackbird

Post by T.C. »

My personal opinion for what its worth, Green Flag every time. I admit I am biased as I used to be an agent for Green Flag when I had my own business, but I was also an agent for AA, RAC and Europ Assistance as w (happy) ell, so I had first hand experience, albeit I only dealt with bikes.

Recently on my way back from Somerset, I needed to get some fuel, guess what? yep, I missfueled and filled up with £60 worth of best unleaded rather than diesel. (sweat) (blush)

Fortunately as it cut off I realised my mistake, so I did not start the engine, but on the phone to Green Flag. Operator took my details and siad there would be a delay as they were busy and it would probably be an hour before their agent arrived. 20 minutes later the recovery arrives :)

Within 30 minutes, the tank of petrol was drained and the callout included £15 worth of diesel, and inless than an hour I was brimmed with diesel and I was on my way home. (happy)

I know that Green Flag agents have to come out with a vehicle that can recover in the event that they cannot get you going, and there s no relay it is one vehicle start to finish, and if they are not there within the hour, then you get a £10 refund. I know AA and RAC patrols whose attitude is f@ck em, they can wait, and carry on drinking their coffee or whatever. If Green Flag agents took their attitude they lose their franchise and it is worth a lot of money. I used to employ someone full time just to do the break downs and I paid hom a very good wage and still made a good profit just from the recoveries, so it is not to be sneered at, and I am going back a few years now, so the money is probably even better now.

GF were also considerably cheaper than the others

So as I said, personal opinion, but Green Flag for me every time. (y) (y)
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Thanks d6nutz I was going to add it on my insurance,glad I didn't now
Just took out a standard policy with green flag ,daft not to it's so cheap
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

Green flag for me on the bike and the car, used the AA before very good but costs, used RAC on the bike they were useless... never again, used greenflag twice with bikes, sends out a proper truck, no messing, can even keep an eye on your bike in the bike via the vid in the cab lol.

In fact BMW rescue use the same people as green flag send out, well they did in my situation anyway.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

RAC came out to me without the equipment needed to tow a bike. Twats.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Kwacky wrote:RAC came out to me without the equipment needed to tow a bike. Twats.
That's their normal procedure. They send a mechanic it to assess and attempt a repair, by they check a bike for accident damage before recovery.

I got took this from a call centre as I was having a rant about the time it was going to take to get someone to me.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

What's the point in that? Surely it's going to cost them more in the long run?

I had the AA sort out the electrics on the zx6r and that bloke was very good. He knew what he was doing and wasn't in a rush to clear off. He stayed around to make sure the problem was fixed.