ZX6R Cat and Headers

The news and your views about biking
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

ZX6R Cat and Headers

Post by Monty »

Cav wrote:Oh you have a secondary silencer like on the ZX6R?

In that case it will sound lovely.

Just an FYI the cat is in the headers if anything like the ZX6R, the box is just a silencer. A big, heavy but very efficient and effective silencer !!!
Think there's a cat in the box as well as the headers.

Either way I'll be getting this if I get a ZX6R. Very reasonable pricing for a full system.

http://www.blackwidowexhausts.co.uk/zx6 ... 1110-p.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

ZX6R Headers and cat

Post by Cav »

The box is straight through so if there is a cat it won't do much lol.

People have gotten within 2bhp gain with a decat and link pipe as they have a full system so I'd save your money and do it yourself. The stock headers are very very good!

Akrapovic get the best gains on our bikes, the next best that I've seen was a Leo-vince SBK slip-on with link pipe, decat and lambda sensor block off. Much cheaper than getting the headers :)
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: ZX6R Cat and Headers

Post by Kwacky »

From BSD Performance

Yes we can re-map the ecu, the best results are with a full system to completely take the cat, if you can find a link pipe that is supplied with a silencer then that’s as good.

Ecu re-mapping is £275.00+vat and we would need the bike for approx 3 hours.
Monty

Post by Monty »

600 quid for a full open system and a remap (assuming you've already got the can) is pretty good value
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

£315 for headers
£330 for remap
£30 for filter (guess)
£16 for gaskets

Close to £700. But I do agree with you.
Monty

Post by Monty »

Do it, I'd like to see what the Black Widow quality is like before I order mine (giggle)
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I might go down the link pipe only route. I'm skint :D
Monty

Post by Monty »

Then arguably you won't need the remap, just the link pipe. Less than 50 quid http://www.blackwidowexhausts.co.uk/zx6 ... -432-p.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

It's not just a remap for the can. It's a proper ECU tune.

http://bsd.uk.com/tuning-dyno-centre/ecu-reprogramming/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://bsd.uk.com/kawasaki-zx-10r-ecu-r ... s-tell-us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Monty

Post by Monty »

True but I'm wary of any modded map with a cat installed, seen quite a few melted ones on the interweb. Plus you could sell the old headers.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Cav

Post by Cav »

You won't notice the difference between link pipe, decat headers and slip-on verses a full system on the road. It's only when you're on track flat out next to the same bike that you will notice the difference - guaranteed you wouldn't feel a difference.

I would personally leave the secondary silencer on the bike and just decat the headers with a slip on and get that tuned. It's a nicer sound with the secondary silencer
Cav

Post by Cav »

Monty wrote:True but I'm wary of any modded map with a cat installed, seen quite a few melted ones on the interweb. Plus you could sell the old headers.
It takes an hour to remove the headers, remove the cat and reinstall the headers.

Get a big drill bit and make lots of holes through the cats then get a pry bar or pliers and rip the remaining stuff out. I did it on mine and I'm a monkey with a hammer! haha
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Cav wrote:You won't notice the difference between link pipe, decat headers and slip-on verses a full system on the road. It's only when you're on track flat out next to the same bike that you will notice the difference - guaranteed you wouldn't feel a difference.

I would personally leave the secondary silencer on the bike and just decat the headers with a slip on and get that tuned. It's a nicer sound with the secondary silencer
Are you suggesting I change the headers but leave the massive box in place?
Monty

Post by Monty »

Cav wrote:
Monty wrote:True but I'm wary of any modded map with a cat installed, seen quite a few melted ones on the interweb. Plus you could sell the old headers.
It takes an hour to remove the headers, remove the cat and reinstall the headers.

Get a big drill bit and make lots of holes through the cats then get a pry bar or pliers and rip the remaining stuff out. I did it on mine and I'm a monkey with a hammer! haha
There you go, get Cav round with his hammer :D
Monty™© MCMLXXII
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Cav wrote:

Did you throw the swarf away?

http://acceleratingscience.com/metals/p ... using-xrf/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cav

Post by Cav »

Kwacky wrote:
Cav wrote:You won't notice the difference between link pipe, decat headers and slip-on verses a full system on the road. It's only when you're on track flat out next to the same bike that you will notice the difference - guaranteed you wouldn't feel a difference.

Are you suggesting I change the headers but leave the massive box in place?
No I'm saying don't replace the headers just remove the cats from them. Unless your box is different to mine and has a cat in it I would leave that too as it's a nice volume with that and a slip on plus it sounds beautiful.

Removing the cats gets you a free-flowing exhaust. Someone did a before/after cat removal dyno comparison and it was worth 2-3 bhp - FOR FREE !!!

No I didn't but I left it at my mates garage for him to do as he wanted with it. I knew it was worth something but couldn't be bothered with it
Monty

Post by Monty »

I don't agree with you on the box Cav. An empty box in the system will change how the exhaust gas pulses push and pull (high pressure/low pressure) each other through the system and it can also change the point (normally the exit of the can) at which the shock waves are reflected back towards the engine. This is the reason some short exhausts can reduce power even when the back pressure is lower. In my mind much better to have a straight pipe and an absorptive straight through can.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Cav

Post by Cav »

Monty wrote:I don't agree with you on the box Cav. An empty box in the system will change how the exhaust gas pulses push and pull (high pressure/low pressure) each other through the system and it can also change the point (normally the exit of the can) at which the shock waves are reflected back towards the engine. This is the reason some short exhausts can reduce power even when the back pressure is lower. In my mind much better to have a straight pipe and an absorptive straight through can.
I'm not on about emptying the box. God only know what that would do to the performance and life of the bike.

The box on the ZX6R is purely a secondary silencer. It's sole function is to reduce noise (which is does so with minimal power loss)

What I'm saying is, take the headers off the bike, drill and pry out the cats (there's usually 2 of them) and then reinstall them and get a tune.

This will result in a bike with a lovely sound, good power, good torque curve, potential for better fuel economy, occasional blue flames and it won't be ear piercing loud. The box gives it a lovely crisp note with only a little rasp which I think is perfect (my opinion, others will differ)
Monty

Post by Monty »

Ah with you!

Are there 2 cats in each down pipe?
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Cav

Post by Cav »

For me the cats are in the '1' (as in '4-2-1') of the exhaust headers. Really easy to DIY, you'll be surprised :)