Ghosts

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
TonyB
Your Bike: Tiger 800XC, Honda CB500

Re: Ghosts

Post by TonyB »

Yes they exist. I saw a load of documentaries called Paranormal Activity.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

"There is nothing notably dignified about religious ideas. They run, rather, to a peculiarly puerile and tedious kind of nonsense.
At their best, they are borrowed from metaphysicians, which is to say, from men who devote their lives to proving that twice two is not always or necessarily four. At their worst, they smell of spiritualism and fortune telling.
Nor is there any visible virtue in the men who merchant them professionally.
The average theologian disseminates his blather, not innocently, like a philosopher, but maliciously, like a politician.
In a well-organized world he would be on the stone-pile. But in the world as it exists we are asked to listen to him, not only politely, but even reverently, and with our mouths open."

H.L Mencken.
Si.
Your Bike: fireblade

Post by Si. »

kingfixer wrote:I saw the ghost of Gloria gaynor last night, first I was afraid, then I was petrified :D

:D :D :D :D :D
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Do I believe in ghosts? - yes, as previously stated.

Do I believe in God? I'm open to the possibility, but let's not hold our breath.

Do believe in religion? The whole idea of organised religion is complete bollocks, how on earth could anyone could possibly think that an all-powerful being would be vain enough to require insignificant ants (us) to say how thankful they are he's around once a week or more and then pay some twat to pretend to be in charge? It would be laughable if it wasn't so hideous.
TonyB
Your Bike: Tiger 800XC, Honda CB500

Post by TonyB »

I read that as 'no'
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

I don't believe in God. I just don't find it could be possible to be made by one man and that one man allows such horrible shit to take place on his planet.

However ghosts, its always possible I suppose. I used to like the program Strange but true, that was pretty good and opened your mind to different things
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

[quote="Rossgo"]I don't believe in God. I just don't find it could be possible to be made by one man and that one man allows such horrible shit to take place on his planet.
/quote]

My vague memories of RE in school recall that God basically got pissed off with the selfish hateful creatures that humans had become so left us to sort out our own mess. Seems fair no? IF he/she were to return and sort things out we would more or less become a slave race. Why strive to improve if we could just let God sort everything out?
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

DaytonAndy wrote:
Rossgo wrote:I don't believe in God. I just don't find it could be possible to be made by one man and that one man allows such horrible shit to take place on his planet.
/quote]

My vague memories of RE in school recall that God basically got pissed off with the selfish hateful creatures that humans had become so left us to sort out our own mess. Seems fair no? IF he/she were to return and sort things out we would more or less become a slave race. Why strive to improve if we could just let God sort everything out?
Not about just letting the creator (if there is such a person) sort things out. Religion gets very messy because we fight and kill over it for no reason. If God existed then forgive and forget, base us on what we can do with our future don't base us on the past
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

My wife believes in god and so do a lot of highly intelligent people I know and repsect.

However as much as I respect other people's views it's not something I can believe in.

On a side note. I know people have commented religion has been used as an excuse for war and has also been the cause of many argument but it also does alot of good (whether you believe or not). In my experience the true believers are normally kind hearted, generous and decent human beings. Unfortunately some people as in all walks of life use things for their own gain, corruption and power. If these people didn't manipulate religion for their own personal gain they would find something else to do the same job as that is their selfous nature unfortunately.

Whether you believe or not and I don't, if you listen to some of the messages and morales of Christianity (there are other religions avialable) you will be a better person for it as a lot of it is just about being a nice, caring, compassionate, thoughtful person.

Whether you believe or not alot of people could take something positive from it if they chose too.

Sorry preaching over (blush)
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

That's true dude, I'm atheist but realise if you shut down every christian charity, organisation or group in the UK overnight the country would stop. They do a lot of good, more than most people give them credit, as do most religions. (apart from the Catholics, they can suck my .......). I'm just not a subscriber.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

People will always find a vehicle for violence, be it politics, religion, football clubs or skin colour. Religion is not the problem, a handful of muppets is.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Kwacky wrote:..... a handful of muppets is.
I only wish I could have your positive outlook on this one mate.:
I look around myself, and despair. I don't know for sure if it isn't just a symptom of my advancing years, but I seem to observe a dramatic depletion in worthy people.

Mr Blade, I agree with much of what you are saying (I believe I will have posted similar opinions numerous times). However, although there are undoubtedly many great people who subscribe to religions, I would respectfully suggest that they would still be great people without that envelope.
IMHO Religion has undoubtedly served humanity well during our development, enforcing morals & conscientious attitudes, but no longer has the monopoly.
Fwiw I wonder if the reason that so many exceptional people are outwardly religious may partly because; "the more you learn, the more you realise how little you know".?