If you don't want to go as far as Snowdon...

The news and your views about biking
edski675
Your Bike: Triumph Sprint ST 1050

If you don't want to go as far as Snowdon...

Post by edski675 »

Really sorry but I just can't work out how to save a map and post it up. Maybe it's cos I'm using a Mac... I don't mean to annoy people and hog the board... there are a few more coming too, through south Shropshire... I did ask Boss Man Kwacky and he said to post them in here.

http://tinyurl.com/nush6ds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shropshire and Bala.jpg
This route is easier for West Midlanders as it starts at Telford Services - J4 M54 - and isn't as far. It's great if this is your first trip into Wales. Go back onto the M54 for 2 miles, exit J6, take a left, then at Horsehay roundabout take a right, headed for Much Wenlock - down a long hill 8) and left at the bottom, through Buildwas to Much Wenlock. Take a right onto the busy A458, take the second left, to Church Stretton. Great road over Wenlock Edge. Go across the lights with the A49, and just keep going up - it's signed The Burway. WARNING - it's very steep, about 30 - 35% so pray that you don't need to do a hill stop/start. On top of the hill (wild and remote), bear right towards Ratlinghope and Bridges - go to Bridges, (signing here is not brilliant) and take a right towards Pulverbatch, Longden and Shrewsbury. if you don't like the thought of the steep hill, then turn right at Stretton onto the A49 into Shrewsbury, although a main road it's still a very nice ride, and follow the signs for the town centre where you'll cross the English Bridge and through the shopping area as the road loops through the town, meeting up with where you come out if you had crossed the Welsh bridge..

When you come into Shrewsbury turn left at the roundabout with Roman Road and right at the next r/bout into Porthill Road, at the bottom onto Frankwell roundabout take the third exit (ie right) into Frankwell, across the Welsh Bridge, keeping left and bear left (do NOT go under the railway bridge) with the River Severn on your immediate left and just keep going (A528, signed Ellesmere), forking left at Harmer Hill, until you get to Myddle - turn left down through the village and stay on this road B4397 (it's nice, straight bits and twisty bits too) through Baschurch (where I live), Ruyton, to the crossroads with the A5. The A5 is single carriageway 40 limit here but very busy - care needed. Straight across until you get to Llynclys, cross the A483 and you're in the Tanat Valley. About 3 miles out of Llangedwyn, take a left staying on the B4396 for Bala - it's signed Penybontfawr and Bala but you don't get much notice. Go to the end, take a right, and up over the Cambrian Mountains (beautiful) into Bala. On the descent the road is very twisty with two sharp hairpins, don't get caught out! Lots of cake in Bala, but the Welsh cakes have cinnamon, which personally I don't like.

Come back out of Bala on the A494 direction Corwen for no more than a mile, right onto the B4401. Go all the way on this peach of a road to Corwen - I've noticed a slight error on the map as it has you turning left but I just carry on, you come out in the same place, the road follows the River Dee, twisty as you like and oh so pretty. At the junction with the A5, right, through Corwen and onto the A5104 signed Chester. Lovely this. At the roundabout turn right to Llangollen, stopping at the Pondy if you want, and downthe Horseshoe Pass. At Llangollen, turn right across the bridge through the (very small) town and left at the lights onto the A5, until you get near Chirk - you can either turn right into Chirk (pretty) or go up the hill and turn right staying on the A5 (faster). At the roundabout follow the sign for St Martins and then Ellesmere (nice road), in Ellesmere turn left, straight across the roundabout past the lake on your left and then left onto the very twisty (to start with) A495 for Whitchurch. Take a right onto the A41/A49, and at The Raven cafe take a left for the A41 back to Telford.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Re: If you don't want to go as far as Snowdon...

Post by Rossgo »

Think this will be a route to check out if I had a few days to get up there and come back down Ed.
edski675
Your Bike: Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Post by edski675 »

You can always stop over here Ross. Spare bedroom is usually free...
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Thanks for the offer Ed [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]