Kwacky's very brief zx10r review

The news and your views about biking
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Kwacky's very brief zx10r review

Post by Kwacky »

Seeing as a couple of you have asked for my thoughts.

Perkle's has what he calls his Test Road. It's got a couple of decent straights and some sharp corners, one of which is banked. So as we had a change of route today we headed for that road so I could have a go on his 10r.

Coming off the upright and comfortable z1000sx makes the riding position seem a bit extreme. The bars seemed to be lower than the seat, which has a decent amount of room for a full on sportsbike. The pegs are in a good position, they've given it some thought.

After a few miles I managed to get my head around the riding position I got a feel for the bike. This thing feels small. Like 600cc small. It also handles like a 600. A couple of times I had to correct my cornering as it turned in quicker than I was expecting. It's very nimble. Perkles told me that it's the easiest bike he's ridden for getting his knee down and I can believe that. It'll flick from side to side and give some serious lean angles but without feeling like it's flopping over, as many modern bikes do.

Don't forget, this isn't my bike and the bigger than me owner was sat right behind me on my pride and joy, so I wasn't going to spank it.

Of course I wasn't

(devil)

Oh, ok, maybe I twisted the throttle a couple of times.

Fueling is spot on but on roll ons I managed to find a little bit of a flat spot. That said the z1000sx is geared differently so I'm used to being lazy and not having to work for the revs, but that's iif you're chasing new lap times. The engine still spins up quicker than you need. If you want you can ride it like a 600 and use the gearbox then it's even quicker. In fact it seems to respond quite well to being worked hard.

And yes, it's fast. Very fooking fast. But in a laugh our head off I'm on a rollercoaster fast, not a falling off a building fast. The disco lights egging you on don't help to back it off.

Brakes are great, nice and strong with good feel. No sense of grabbing and coupled with the excellent front forks you can probably barrel into a corner and really hammer the stoppers, bang it down a couple of gears then pin the throttle.

Talking of suspension I didn't find it wanting. I know Blade has bought a top of the range rear shock so it would be interesting to compare the bikes, but I didn't at any point today find myself frustrated with the rear. The feedback was there and it was coping with the British roads. I suspect as it's OEM it'll need changing if you're doing track stuff.

I rode it a decent distance and got a good feel for the bike. The damper works really well; you know it's there but it's not interfering. The seat and riding position isn't designed for distances but it is for the quick stuff.

Would I have one? Yep. Will I get one? Unlikely.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Re: Kwacky's very brief zx10r review

Post by Blade »

Good write up Kwacky. Sounds like you had a lot of fun and enjoyed the ride, it's a great bike and always fun to ride.

The only thing I found different to you is I found the steering a little slow initially in my first few rides with stock suspension. That has to be put in perspective as I'm in know way claiming it to be slow its just I found it slower than my Blade and SP2 but in fairness both of them have been modified to turn quicker and sharper as that's how I prefer my bikes handling. With the ohlins in and a little ride height added I have now got the ten turning quicker and handling more to my liking which is obviously a personal preference.

Good write up though and glad you enjoyed it. I know you say your unlikely to get one but are you still a 600 man or could you be won over by the addictive power of the zx10r ?
Last edited by Blade on 01 Aug 2015, 16:44, edited 1 time in total.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

i had a good ride today on both bikes,we werent hanging about at times and the sx can get a real hussle on ,its very easy to ride
i love my zx10 its mega
Blade

Post by Blade »

The only criticism they could level at it in sboty was it didn't have a quickshifter and was over geared but a quick £45 sprocket chain fixes one of those straight away and tbh although I would like a quickshifter I can't say I'm missing one on road riding duties tbh.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I think it's easy to argue that a bike is over geared when they're hitting 70mph in first, so the other 5 gears aren't needed on the road. As you say, changing the gearing is a quick and easy fix so it makes it possible to have the bike running the way you want.

We ride bikes differently. I'm heavy on the front which means I had to adjust my riding style for the sx as it can't be ridden that way. I found the 10r to be responsive enough for my style and I certainly wouldn't be looking to change the geometry, but that's based on a short ride. I might want to make changes if I owned one. I can only go on my initial findings.

As for the 600 v 1000 debate, that'll go on :D I like to work my sports bikes. I enjoy having to work out the revs and gears I need when I'm out on the bike. I'm constantly learning how to ride and feel comfortable doing that on a 600.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Tbh Kwacky the 10 is massively over geared in stock form its a fair criticism. You struggled to get it out of second which was good for 125 mph and 1st gear got you up to 98mph.

Both me and Perkles went -1 on the front and +1 on the rear sprocket and it did genuinely make the bike much easier to ride.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I wasn't suggesting it wasn't overgeared. I can't comment as I've not ridden a stock one. I was simply putting forward another way of looking at the gearing debate.
Blade

Post by Blade »

They gave it a very close ratio gearbox for it to be competitive in superstock racing is the reason behind the over gearing I believe.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

That makes sense I guess. It's a capable bike out of the box.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Mines geared to get to the cafe at warp speed :D
Blade

Post by Blade »

Just looked at some gearing figures and a zx10r on stock gearing in second gear on the limiter will do the same speed as a Panigale 899 on the limiter in 4th gear.

That has to be he best example I can find for showing how massively over geared a stock zx10r is. Its almost unbelievable it's that shocking (wasntme)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

But one is an IL4 1000cc bike and the other is a V Twin 900. It's like comparing bitter and cider and complaining that one has bubbles.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Haha pmsl (rolf)

Just an example of the difference which I thought was an interesting comparison. Tbh if anything you would think a tradionally torquey vtwin would have the taller gearing so just goes to show how things can be so different to what you may first expect I guess.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

Yep, and now it does 75 in first but only on one wheel (lol)
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Good review Kwacky. Like how one change can make it more mangable (meaning the chain and sprockets) bet you had a hoot on it as I guess you haven't ridden a sports bike for quite some time as your 6R is currently being upgraded