Earplugs

The news and your views about biking
Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Earplugs

Post by Itchy »

What is everyone using for ear protection these days? Up until now I've used the foam ones that you get from any bike shop.

I haven't been out on the bike much this year and I've run out, I'm down to using these...

A friend gave them to me after they landed a hospitality day at an F1 event. They're okay I guess, but I'm not a fan of the cord that holds them together.

Anyhoo, I'm after something else.

Custom ones any good?
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Earplugs

Post by Kwacky »

I use the little rubber ones with a black stem in them.
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

Howard Leight foam ones for me. Bumper pack off eBay last ages. From reading reviews the ones with cord or things poking out never score as well. I think Rossgo had some custom ones made up which he highly ratesbut not cheap!
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

I have used loads of different types including custom moulded and found these to be by far the best regards noise attenuation and comfort.

An interesting fact is the custom moulded ones are GUARANTEED to offer the most noise attenuation but the soft cheap ones like above offer the actual most noise attenuation but its not guaranteed, as obviously they have to be fitted properly which the manufacturer cannot guarantee as there is so many numpty nuts are out there unfortunately.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

I've some custom made ones which i have probably had for a good ten years now so all in i bet they have worked out really cheap.

I have started to get tinnitus in one ear in the last year. No idea if its related to bike riding over the years.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

I've also got custom made plugs. Some fairly cheap ones that you mold yourself though.

I got them as I started getting tinnitus, over the last 4 or so years I've had then the tinnitus hasn't gotten any worse.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Blade

Post by Blade »

Lads if your suffering with tinnitus I would consider swapping to soft plugs as they offer a siginifcant greater amount of noise attenuation over custom made plugs as long as fitted correctly which is extremely simp!e.

The marketing hype leads you to believe the custom made have better performance as its guaranteed, but check the results if fitted correctly the soft plugs offer the most attenuation and therefore performance / protection.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

I use the same as Blade, mainly cause I flog them from work. They are very effective. You might find it gross but I give them a quick lube after I've rolled them and they slide in nice and deep. That sounds so wrong :D

I have custom ones that cost a packet, but since my graft op (they took skin from beside my ear) one side doesn't fit anymore.

I've had tinnitus for years since spannering on jets in my RNZAF days. We used to get paid 'adverse conditions allowance' because the ground starter units were 135 db and they couldn't provide hearing protection at an acceptable level. Unbelievable in this day and age.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Spudda
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650 aka 'Doris'

Post by Spudda »

Foam ones for me and I generally top up my supply when visiting various factories
Attachments
image.jpg
It's Nice To Be Important BUT Its Important To Be Nice ©
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

293510.jpg
The only problem I find with them is each time you take them out they don't go in quite as easy the next time. If I'm stopping a lot I take a couple of pairs.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

I use a pair to sleep with offshore for three weeks straight, so that's 21 re-uses. If you have clean fingers and roll them right they can be used over and over.

But if they get dirty at all bin them. I've had a bad ear infection from earplug use, but with work and sleep and yard work at home I live in the bloody things.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Are they the Laser Lite ones you recommend, Blade?
Blade

Post by Blade »

Yes Duke those are the ones.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

DaytonAndy wrote:
293510.jpg
The only problem I find with them is each time you take them out they don't go in quite as easy the next time. If I'm stopping a lot I take a couple of pairs.
Does anyone else think they look like a jumbo box of Johnny's?! Haha
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

I use exactly the same ones as Blade, we got given a huge box of them each years ago at work and to date I've had no hearing issues yet (I've had my hearing tested as well).

I generally make sure my ears are clean and will reuse the plugs 4-5 times by tucking them between the neck collar and the cheek pad of the lid, they're secure and clean in there, whether the lid is in storage at home or while I'm carrying the lid at a race meet etc, plus it's easy to keep a spare pk or two in the smallest of pockets in my leathers. I like them but would say learn to fit them in properly if you're using them, that way you get the best protection - I've seen way to many people just try and cram them into an ear without rolling them really tight before inserting them, that way they expand and by the time the helmet strap is done up the world has been muted.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

As for ear protection Andy is correct.I got Ultimate Ear Protection plugs. I have never got on with the foam ones and got really bad ear ache from them in the past. Plus there are so many out there you have to find the ones that match your ear - which I haven't been able to do! So Ultimate Ear knocked me up a pair. Their not exactly cheap but I personally favour them. They fit perfectly each and every time no matter what. Easy to clean, unbelievably comfortable, so comfy your forget they are even on there (not the first few times you use them mind, very strange feeling at first!) And most importantly they last a long time so I don't have to go to shops to get any more when I do need a new pair it's a faff as you have to get your ears moulded again (over the specific time that is as everyone is given their moulds) but like .I say they fit amazingly every time.

Well that's my 2p piece worth!! Think I have a thread somewhere here too
Mac
Your Bike: '04 Triumph Daytona

Post by Mac »

I used the Laser Lite's for riding, as I get them free from the range and like Blade, I find them to be as effective as my custom made one I use for shooting. However, when my ears are sweaty and I'm moving about, the foamies have backed out on occasion. Being a firearms instructor and shooting 150+ days a year, I'm fanatical about hearing pro. FWIW, I read an article years ago about how sound vibration gets transmitted to the ear via the mastoid bone, and that over-the-ear protection was superior to plugs. I don't think this would be an issue for riding given the padding in the helmet, but maybe something to think about when doing yard work and such. On an indoor range, I'll always wear foamies AND hearing muffs. I have a pair of MSA Sordin's that cost $300 US, but in my view they're a cheap insurance policy. I even wear them while hunting.
"When in doubt use full throttle. It may not improve the situation but it will end the suspense ".
Blade

Post by Blade »

Totally agree Mac. At work I alwasy double plug with internal and external protectors.

Hearing loss is permanent and never recovers unfortunately. In that basis mine is fooked and staying that way (wasntme)
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Used to have a massively noisy job to do as a teenage apprentice - going into a test cell with a V16 3500bhp engine on endurance test, foam plugs and external muffs were the only way to bear the noise pressure. Mind you, one of the old hands used to go in with no ear protection at all and had done all his life. I'd guess he's lip reading these days....
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Deegee wrote:Used to have a massively noisy job to do as a teenage apprentice - going into a test cell with a V16 3500bhp engine on endurance test, foam plugs and external muffs were the only way to bear the noise pressure. Mind you, one of the old hands used to go in with no ear protection at all and had done all his life. I'd guess he's lip reading these days....
I run up our Firewater Pump driver and Emergency Gen driver once a week each for test runs, both V16 quad turbo diesels so I know what you mean mate.

Noisiest task I've had to date was on the A4 Skyhawks in airforce days, to trim the engine after a engine change I used to have to be on the wing during a full power engine run, head in the side access panel manually adjusting the fuel control unit. If your earmuffs touched the frame you knew all about it.

Hearing protection is so important. And as Blade said you never get hearing loss back. I wear plugs even mowing lawns as noise exposure compounds and I don't want to lose anymore than I already have.