The new improved fitness thread

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Re: The new improved fitness thread

Post by D6Nutz »

Make sure you stretch after a run mate. That will really help with quite a few pains.

But generally listen to your body, if it's hurting take a few days of running and cross train.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

D6Nutz wrote:Make sure you stretch after a run mate. That will really help with quite a few pains.

But generally listen to your body, if it's hurting take a few days of running and cross train.
Ok will do,I feel like I've hit a bit of a wall and need a bit of a rest
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

i still went for a run last night but had a good stretch before i went.i felt tired but ok,i just have to battle past the tiredness and crack on with it
13 miles seen an impossible target at the moment but ive given myself plenty of time to prepare
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

I used my new bike yesterday. Sadly I decided to do it in 30+ degrees as I couldn't wait to use it :)

I managed 13 miles at an average of around 20mph which was too tough. I would have been better doing it in the morning. My problem is I have no idea of pace and what is quick and slow on a bike, I did miss the engine in the middle of the frame though, they are handy :)

I need lots of short runs just to get my legs used to it rather than running. They are like jelly today :)
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

20mph avg is fast ,aim for around 16-18 mph avg and slowly up the time on the bike.When i raced I never trained in miles but always time on the bike
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I went to the gym this morning after my hospital appointment.

It was packed with blokes in their early 20s. Brum must have a lot of muscly barmen.
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Perkles wrote:i still went for a run last night but had a good stretch before i went.i felt tired but ok,i just have to battle past the tiredness and crack on with it
13 miles seen an impossible target at the moment but ive given myself plenty of time to prepare
You'd be surprised how far you can run. Don't stress about getting the 13 miles, virtually all half marathon plans suggest you should get to about 10. If you can do that then you can do the final three, you will also have the adrenaline of the event to keep you going.

I don't know that the other runners here think, but I was always taught never to stretch before a run only after. If you want to do a timed run the do some light aerobic exercise before, otherwise just start jogging slowly and build the pace. Stretch fully after a run as that will release the lactic acid that has built up in your muscles, this is what should ease the acheness. It's also worth looking into recovery protein powders as these should also help the recovery times.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
C00kiemonster

Post by C00kiemonster »

Perkles wrote:20mph avg is fast ,aim for around 16-18 mph avg and slowly up the time on the bike.When i raced I never trained in miles but always time on the bike
Ta. I think that's what I learnt the hard way. Too fast but no basis for comparison.

Small and often for a while I think..
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Just like my love life
C00kiemonster

Post by C00kiemonster »

Kwacky wrote:Just like my love life
:)
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

D6Nutz wrote:
Perkles wrote:i still went for a run last night but had a good stretch before i went.i felt tired but ok,i just have to battle past the tiredness and crack on with it
You'd be surprised how far you can run. Don't stress about getting the 13 miles, virtually all half marathon plans suggest you should get to about 10. If you can do that then you can do the final three, you will also have the adrenaline of the event to keep you going.

I don't know that the other runners here think, but I was always taught never to stretch before a run only after. If you want to do a timed run the do some light aerobic exercise before, otherwise just start jogging slowly and build the pace. Stretch fully after a run as that will release the lactic acid that has built up in your muscles, this is what should ease the acheness. It's also worth looking into recovery protein powders as these should also help the recovery times.
(f1)
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Leg session but it's too warm in the gym to do too much.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Running tonight ,felt fresher after a two day rest so added another ten minutes to the run and found it quite easy
Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Post by Itchy »

The week before last I did circuits, where I nearly puked.

3 minutes in!

Last Tuesday I did a squat session. A mere 4 sets of 10 reps with 50kg.

I nearly puked.

On Thursday however I tried to get over this exercise/puking combo by doing the best known cure.

Deadlifts.

Funnily enough, it actually worked! Same as the squats, light weight at 50kg for 10 reps, did 4 or 5 sets but instead of feeling pukey I felt good. I'm getting that gym buzz back, which I haven't had all year (because I've hardly been all year).
So, getting back into the swing of things is starting to ramp up, even the cardio is going to have to get sucked up because my fitness test is only 8 weeks away. 6 months of eating crap and doing no phys is not going to help me!
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Deadlifts will always make you feel like a hero.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Got home early so made the most of a pre evening gym which was nice and quiet. Big leg session. I'm already struggling.
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Went for a run last night, first run in 2 weeks what with moving and generally being lazy..

It wasn't a pretty sight.. Going to have to focus a bit over the next couple of weeks before the next 10k race

C00kiemonster

Post by C00kiemonster »

I'm starting to get into my cycling now, doing some morning rides to stay out the heat. Done 90kms this week, so quite pleased really and cardio improving which is what I wanted.
Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Post by Itchy »

Played squash today. Played it last week as well, and my right arm was aching for about 5 days afterwards.
And after last week's 1 win and 4 losses, I was quite happy with 3 wins and 1 loss today.
Not sure I'm going to set the world on fire with my skills, but it's a good laugh and something different to try and keep fit.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

It must be national chest day, because almost everyone in the gym was doing chest.

So I did shoulders and abs.