A483

The news and your views about biking
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Re: A483

Post by Blade »

I'm not 100% sure but that looks to me like additional services you have to subscribe too, which is obviously how its all funded.

I personally can't see a commercial business like bmw collecting information that could be used to penalise its customers as even one case of such an occurence making the news headlights would seriously harm sales and hence profits.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I'm lost, how are they harming their customers?
Blade

Post by Blade »

If I have understood peoples comments correctly it has been suggested bmw are collecting information that could lead to their customer being prosecuted. They sell a lot of high performance models both in the car and bike market. If BMW are collecting data which could penalise its customers I reckon that it could put off certain customers.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

BMW deny they do it and refuse to hand the data over, even in cases involving fatal accidents, because BMW say they don't have that data.

So there is no chance of a prosecution from it.
Blade

Post by Blade »

If that's the case then there is no issue as far as I can see. I must have misunderstood as I thought it was being implied BMW are monitoring all there cars and the original theme of the conversation was about big brother watching us and looking to prosecute.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Blade I also read it like that. Your not the only one mate. Although I don't have a Beemer and in all honesty doubt I ever would as it's on the higher end of the market. But if the company could and would use such information against their customers I very much doubt they would have repeat business!!
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

I know a lot of cars store data on their keys these days so the dealer can read fault codes etc off the key without having to plug the car into the diagnostic machine.

I don't know exactly what or how much data there is but i think its pretty certain that the ECU itself holds a lot more data still. They definitely store data for so long ( i was told about 30 minutes) of the last piece of driving and i would guess in any serious accident the police can impound any vehicle they wish and request the data held on that vehicle.

This thread on Pistonheads implies this is the case and this is a few years old now.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... keys&mid=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All that said, the accident investigators are able to fairly accurately calculate road speeds in an accident from road markings and that evidence is certainly used in court.
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

I think from reading all about ECU,s and key fobs holding information about your cars activities it is a case that they do have the ability to store it. As to the to scale of it, I have no idea, and to be used by, and getting access too is another can of worms. But the tech obviously exists and will only get more sophisticated.
We already know that bikes have ECU's and are capable of producing all sorts of fault codes and information about the bike, so what ever transport the tech is out there. Even the BMW navigation system has the ability to read and display all the bikes info, such is tyre pressures, speeds, basically mimics the on board computer and displays it on the satnav if you wish. But when you have finished riding you can sit down at homes and see how many gear changes you made etc....It really is an amazing bit of tech. I found this on YouTube which explains more.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PdEoDqaz7DE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;