ZX10R Review

The news and your views about biking
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Re: ZX10R Review

Post by Blade »

I could get double on the Blade including a few trackdays. It is the endurance compound ironically.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Fitted the new ASV levers and very pleased with them 8)

Blade

Post by Blade »

Had a quick ride up and down the street and the clutch biting point is more to my liking now. The OEM lever would not let you adjust the span so using the ASV lever I have set it just where I like it.

I'm happy with that. They look great and are a practical improvement, so are a win win (y)
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Nice,how's the rear shock ? :)
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Nice levers. Have you had short levers before, Blade?

Is there a lap timer on the clocks?
Blade

Post by Blade »

Cheers Duke. Yes had shorties before.

Yes there is a lap timer mate.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Perkles wrote:Nice,how's the rear shock ? :)
Hi Perks. We were going to have a chat on Sunday, but obviously that didn't happen. I promise I'll find the time to write a review soon.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Perkles asked me to write a review on the mechatronics ohlins rear shock so here goes.

The shock is basically the top of the range ttx36 mk2 (as used in wsbk) but with electronic control of the damping. There is also a remote preload adjuster which makes setting and adjusting the sag very easy and the shock is ride height adjustable.

I only did two rides on the OEM shock in winter conditions so difficult to compare with but the OEM shock is well known to lack meaningful damping control when the pace is up a level.

The shock adjusts damping between comfort and sport depending on various inputs from the ECU. However don't mistake comfort setting for being a goldwing or tourer it is still sportsbike firm just not as firm as sport.

Its hard to tell when the shock switching between settings which is know bad thing imo as it shows how smooth the transitions is.

You can definitely notice the damping is firmer in sports mode but is not OTT. The bike turns much better with the ohlins shock installed but I think somehow due to the better damping stability is also improved which is strange as there normally a compromise between each other.

The bike holds a line well in the fast corners and overall is a good compromise between soft and firm. I would not say its harsh on the road but the damping is definitely progressive as it is firm when needed.

Overall I'm happy with the purchase. It is expensive kit but a good investment IMO if you plan to keep the bike long term and also brings it right up to date with all the 2015 semi active suspension bikes on the market.

If there is a negative its that there is no manual adjustment, you get what Kawasaki and ohlins want to give you. However not really fare to call this a negative as its exactly the point of the kit in the first place. No more twiddling or adjusting settings for town, fast road and track. Just get one with the riding and enjoy top notch suspension control.

Overall I would recommend it as I think OEM rear shocks are mostly pants on modern sports bikes as this is where manfacturers can save money and they know people who want to up the pace will most likely invest in after market personalised kit anyway.

There are much cheaper perfectly good aftermarket shocks that cost much less but if you fact in the remote preload, adjustable length and similar spec (46mm piston and 18mm rod) you looking at very similar money and that's with out the semi active control.

This shock is not a race shock although it does use the same ttx race technology. Its designed as a fast road / track day shock which will adapt to the conditions as you ride. In my opinion it does this very well so perfectly suited to fast road / track day riders.

Personally I always planned to buy the shock and was one of the attractions of purchasing a zx10r as its only currently available to fit this bike.
Blade

Post by Blade »

You think you'll get one Perkles ?

What do you reckon of the stock shock ?
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Blade wrote:You think you'll get one Perkles ?

What do you reckon of the stock shock ?
yes i think I will invest in one as I plan to keep the bike long term,I cant tell what the rear shock is doing on the road ,I dont ride fast enough to tell.
I think it will show up on a track day when im going for it a bit more.So yes I will get one but not yet ,I want to get out on track 1st and I owe a bit of money on my cc for my bike that I want to pay off.
One thing I really like on the zx10r is the forks they work very well and dont need any adjustment,not for me anyhow.I will keep an eye on my tyre wear to see what the standard shock is doing and take it from there
Blade

Post by Blade »

Sounds like a plan.

The OEM forks are very good. Rutter thought they had been modified when he rode Jonny McAvoy's longtermer.
Blade

Post by Blade »

You got any other plans for the bike Perkles ?
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Blade wrote:You got any other plans for the bike Perkles ?
ride it ,track day it :)
Blade

Post by Blade »

Love to hear how you find it on track. You got any in the pipeline ?

Need to get myself on one soon (y)
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

no but will probably book mallory in the summer or when the weather behaves itself,I can imagine the ten will be a handful going into corners at warp speed :)
great to see kiwis video to get an idea of what they are like on track
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Perkles wrote:no but will probably book mallory in the summer or when the weather behaves itself,I can imagine the ten will be a handful going into corners at warp speed :)
great to see kiwis video to get an idea of what they are like on track
Yours will kick mines butt!!!
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Just an update on the review of the Ohlins semi active rear shock.

It is quite simply the best shock I have ever ridden on its simple perfect in all conditions. I can't heap enough praise on it. In 5 months of riding I have never been in a situation where I think the rear shock is not performing at its best. Regardless of riding conditions or pace the shock is simply perfect in every situation.

Other after market shocks I've owned including standard ohlins have always been a compromise as much as an improvement. What you gain in one area you may have to compromise in another area. Not so the semi active mechatronic shock it just gets on with giving you perfecting suspension whatever the conditions or pace.

I would thoroughly recommend this product to anyone and it has to be the future of suspension. In fact I can't see me buying another bike that doesn't have semi active supers ion as standard or like the ten available as an aftermarket option.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

You need a 1299s Panigale, Blade. ;)
Blade

Post by Blade »

I m very happy with the ten but must admit a Ducati sports bike is very much on my bucket list and close to the top too (lol)

Any rumours of the 899 getting the Ohlins mechatronic suspension whether as oem equipment or an aftermarket performance accessory Duke ? It really is that good that once you have ridden on it, it would be very hard to want anything else on your bike.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

great update and feedback blade,its something im going to do to mine over the winter