Centennary of ANZAC

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
wazza675
Your Bike: '06 TRiumph Daytona 675

Centennary of ANZAC

Post by wazza675 »

For those (few) brethren from the Colonies...

Today marks the 100th anniversary of the Gallipoli landing by those who have become known as the ANZACs - Australia's first foray into military conflict as a newly formed nation (post Federation in 1901). Obviously it must be noted that the Australian Imperial Force did not fight alone nor in greater numbers than other Allied forces including those from New Zealand, Britain, France, Canada and India.

For the first time in memory I attended a dawn service today, dragging the two bleary eyed kids (and wife) along with me. After recently reading several books on the Gallipoli campaign, the Australian involvement on the western front and most recently Tobruk, I felt it was time that I took myself and probably more importantly my daughters, along to a service this year.

One thing I often reflect on is the lack of military historical content in the curriculum when I attended school (now 20 years ago). Only recently, have I started to piece together some very basic understanding after picking up some books (of which I'm becoming a prolific reader!!).
I'm sure for most of those on here it's probably well understood (if that is possible of war) as it was fought on your own doorsteps, however the Dominions were far removed from these theatres and the Australian curriculum seems to have been sanitized while I was at school.

I've often listened to songs with some reverence, yet always lacking any understanding behind their true meaning (other than the graphic imagery). I guess one thing as a parent that I must do is educate myself as to that meaning so that I may impart it upon my children...

So to the Ode:

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them."
Lest we forget.
wazza675

Re: Centennary of ANZAC

Post by wazza675 »

That was rather sombre... sorry to darken your Saturday...
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

No need to be, mate, its a date that needs remembering.

On Cannock Chase just down the road from me there is the an ANZAC cemetery. Every April they commemorate the soldiers who died from the flu epidemic of 1918 whilst training for the WW1 trenches on the Chase.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Good write up Wazza, it is an important time in Australian and NZ history (I find a lot of Aussies forget what the NZ in Anzac actually means!!)

I haven't been to a Dawn Parade in a few years but I did a lot on official duties while serving in the RNZAF, my best by far was a Tri-Service parade, 3000 personnel strong in Perth. Being in uniform, I didn't pay for a drink all day!

One thing I have noticed since living in Aussie is your military has much greater respect in the general community than NZ. I've had tomatoes thrown at me in parade in NZ by protesters.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
wazza675

Post by wazza675 »

To forget is to inevitably repeat the mistakes of the past.

I had very little knowledge of anything military until I started reading these books recently.

My grandfather served with the British forces in Egypt and I'm only just starting to unravel his story, owing to firstly his death before I was born, and secondly a fractured relationship with my father only recently mended after the birth of my children.

One thing I'd love is for someone to hand me a list of must read texts covering a broad history of each conflict detailing the who, what, when, where, why and how. One of the hardest thing is recognizing the angle of each author.

Whith the texts I am reading, the NZ forces are revered as much, if not at times more than the Aussies.
If you are proud to have served (Revidabucs), you should be proud to stand alongside your brethren on days such as today. There were indeed many Kiwi and Islander families at the local dawn service we attended today.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Very proud to have served Wazza, although apart from a prison guard strike and a local weather emergency I never did anything but practice.

My great grandfather was at Galipoli, and as luck would have it I got a photo of his medal and dog tag when visiting home last month. My dad has his medal atm, and I've made sure he knows of my feelings to who they should be left too.
image.jpg
And yes, I'll get my lazy arse out to a dawn service next year.. Ta mate (y)
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.