My new Rocket Ship

The news and your views about biking
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Re: My new Rocket Ship

Post by Monty »

Cracking tyre those GPs James. I used them for a few years in summer, winter and on the track
Monty™© MCMLXXII
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

Had 10 minutes spare

"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Wow that looks good
rocket

Post by rocket »

Just moving it around in the drive and garage it feels a lot more compact and lighter than the rsv. Quite surprised how small it feels.
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

That exhaust is gorgeous. Is that single sided now?
rocket

Post by rocket »

DaytonAndy wrote:That exhaust is gorgeous. Is that single sided now?
Yes
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Oooooohhb me likey 8)

Got to be Yoshi on a suzzie (y)
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

What you done with the old cans?
rocket

Post by rocket »

Kwacky wrote:What you done with the old cans?
In the garage will be going up on eBay
rocket

Post by rocket »

I have been waiting for the Dvla to register the bike as it was on isle of man plates when I bought it. I Ordered a number plate and today I got it in the post. So after finishing the quick action throttle install which has been a pain as I have had to get a different kill/starter switch and wire it in. I finally took it for a 15 minute blast.

I wish I had not checked the tyres before I left as it spoiled the ride they are worn super corsa's and glazed on the edges felt like glass to touch. However initial impressions it feels small and compact but comfy on the move , there is a hesitation on turning in but i think this is down to the tyres. The suspension feels a bit too firm especially the rear. I have some forks with ktech internals to go on but want to feel what the bike is like first same with the bazzaz. I don't know if its the quick action throttle or the fuelling but it did not feel super smooth low down pulling out of bends. It has been de-cated and pops and bangs a bit which is telling me the fuelling is not correct and its probably running a bit rich. It feels really frantic the engine has loads of poke from anywhere in the rev range and was breath taking when you get it up near the top. I found it awkward to tell what gear or where in the rev range I was it just pulled and screamed. I guess this will come with more time on the bike. The gear box is beautiful changes are easy and have a lovely mechanical feel to them as well. The brakes were good but i like a stiff (party) lever and there's a little sponginess to them. At some stage I will be getting braided lines and a brembo rmc for it. To sum up I'm pleased with it the build quality is a lot better than I expected I owned a srad years ago and they have really picked there game up everything has a nice weight to it and feels solid. I can not wait to get the new tyres on it and give it a proper run they should be here tomorrow (devil) .
Blade

Post by Blade »

Early days on a first ride mate. You have to expect a few dislikes and teething problems even on a brand newie IMO.

Easy fixes though and it takes a while to get a bike how we like it.

New tyres, fresh brake fluid and it will be a weapon.

Sounds like its running weak to me if it's popping on the decel, especially with open cans and a decat.

Good write up, nice one Rocket.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Good explanation here Rocket.

Must admit I thought the same in that it would be rich until I researched the subject a while back.

Why does a lean running engine have a tendency to excessively pop? The exhaust gas temperature of a lean engine is substantially higher than one that is running on the rich side ( an EGT probe will show this). Therefore, the high EGT serves to heat the pipe more and the gases themselves become a much better source of re-ignition. By richening things up, you are cooling down the exhaust temp and therefore reducing potential re-ignition sources.
rocket

Post by rocket »

Cheers blade I thought it would have been too much fuel and it igniting in the exhaust. But reading that it opposite thanks for that.It was not a long ride so did not have long to jell with it. I wanted to get out on it on the crappy tyres so I could see the improvement when the new rubber goes on. In some ways I'm being a bit critical I was impressed with it just thinking over what I can improve.
Last edited by rocket on 07 Apr 2015, 21:28, edited 1 time in total.
Blade

Post by Blade »

I thought the same myself at first Rocket. We are either a, both logical thinkers who thought of the most logical explanation or b, were both thick ....ts ;)
Blade

Post by Blade »

It has to be answer A mate it has to be (y)
rocket

Post by rocket »

I concur
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Good initial write up there Rocket looking forward to a full review when you get the chance of a proper day out on her
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Going to be a weapon once you've honed it to your liking
Blade

Post by Blade »

When you getting the new tyres fitted Rocket ?
rocket

Post by rocket »

Well the delivery guy must have been in the SAS as he got to the front door with out a sound shoved a note through. Then ran faster than Usain Bolt to his van I was only in the kitchen the little one in the front room with the tv on. You can see the tv from the top of the drive so he knew someone was in. I wanted to chase him and bitch slap him this morning. So tomorrow hopefully :-P
Last edited by rocket on 08 Apr 2015, 21:38, edited 1 time in total.