Knobbies...

The news and your views about biking
R1ckster
Your Bike: Tiger 800XC

Knobbies...

Post by R1ckster »

Hey up chaps.. Anybody used dot approved knobbies and used on road in wet. Are they really scary or OK?

Appreciated they're never gonna match full on road biased tyres but just wondering

Cheers not merry [CHRISTMAS TREE]
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Knobbies...

Post by Kwacky »

For an R1? You mad bro?
R1ckster

Post by R1ckster »

Hahahahahaha... Fking funny... Yeah mate sorry forgot to mention bought a tiger xc. Yeah an r1 with knobbies.. Who'd you think I am, nick sanders :)
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Imagine the vibrations at 120mph :D

Personally I wouldn't use them for normal road riding, but I've not tried them on the road so can't say from experience.

Frankie might be able to help.
R1ckster

Post by R1ckster »

Haha.. Yeah I agree although will help me not to get banned again :)

Fancy green laning mild off road next year. Also 6 solid sports bike years doing 16 to 18k miles a year I fancied trying something more upright.. Comfy lol
Mac
Your Bike: '04 Triumph Daytona

Post by Mac »

I used them on my Yamaha XT225 with no problems, but it had significantly less horsepower than your Tiger, plus a lot lighter. Just use caution and you should be fine I would think.
"When in doubt use full throttle. It may not improve the situation but it will end the suspense ".
R1ckster

Post by R1ckster »

Cheers Mac.. Looking at conti Tkc80s but not sure if too off road biased. But does look cool :)
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

As I spend most of the time on the road and the odd gravel muddy lanes, I have gone with my Conti trial attack 2's again. I love the fact of knobblies on the bike, they look cool on the tiger, but from experience they will hamper my road riding full stop. You have very little rubber contact with the road, after all they are designed to sink into mud and sand and what not, not stick to Tarmac.

There are a number of inter type tyres out there, check out adventures bike rider, tiger 800 forums for various views, but for me the ideal would be a second set of wheels with full knobblies fitted. ( not going to happen for some time )

I was out on Saturday scrubbing in the new rear and I have to say I was impressed with the new attack 2, even though it was cold out, the heat was holding in the tyre, when I stopped and felt it, it was nice and warm, more than I can say for the M7rr on the Beemer, I could not get any heat into it (need to check pressures)
If I was to go full off road on these I would just reduce the pressures a little more, even with the attacks 2, there are still decent blocks and groves in the treat pattern on the rear mainly.

However saying all that, if I was to to green lane more, I would go for a bike more suited to be chucked about like an full on enduro, the tiger when pushed off road can play up with the weight of it compared to a more focused off road bike, when the back end starts to spin up and come round very little body weight can help you get it back on track ha ha (experience talking) compared with something a little lighter.

I do love my tiger, we have done a lot of miles together and Saturdays little run out, cemented these views again, (y)
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

How many miles on your Tiger now, Frankie?
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

Ps, the tyres you are looking at are a good choice for 50/50 on/off riding, I would say more biased towards off road IMO.
So it all depends on the main focus for your riding.

Duke I am not sure I will need to check, but it's high I know that much lol
R1ckster

Post by R1ckster »

Thanks for the feedback very very informative. Well as for type of riding definitely more road. Am only just now considering trying out some green laning or mild trails. So nothing too severe. So um guessing the tkc80 will be too overkill then. Only for looking cool in the bike but sounds that practically theyre not that great. Will look at the attacks from what you say. I do the mileage as some folks know having stuck 70k on the R1 in 4 years so dont want to be going through tyres too fast