Quandary??

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Quandary??

Post by D41 »

What would you do? I just had a call from Durham Police saying that they are investigating my sister for fraud or whatever, draining my father's funds.....they've frozen his accounts, and wanted to know if I wanted them to press criminal charges!!

Now I do love my sister, but she's not the sharpest tool in the shed......guess she's been spending a ton of money, and has even bought a boat in Norfolk....WTF??
Also, I'm guessing the police aren't calling me unless they already have a pretty strong case......so what do I do....have her charged, or give her a slap on the wrist??
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Quandary??

Post by Kwacky »

Why would they call you? They don't need your permission do they?
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Difficult call, problem is do you give her the opportunity to carry on what she's doing? If no action is taken that's what's likely to happen, especially if she isn't that bright.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

From what you have told us Darren, your Dad's assets are of little use/interest to him now.?
Perhaps the questions to ask are; Who is loosing out, and what can be gained from a prosecution.?
D41

Post by D41 »

Kwacky wrote:Why would they call you? They don't need your permission do they?
I don't know....kinda surprised me - my only thought was that maybe because it's what will one day be my inheritance that she's spending??

But you're right about her continuing......think I'll call back tomorrow and get them to press charges.....I initially said I just don't know. Like I said, it all took me by surprise.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I was wondering if you're legally responsible for him in any way.

If they've got the evidence they'll go ahead. It's a CPS decision.
bb41
Your Bike: GSXR750

Post by bb41 »

Is your sister a minor ?

If there has been a criminal action taken place then they would go ahead regardless

Not being rude but could it be benefit fraud , if so then they would need to gather as much family background especially if you have power of attorney .

Strange
Live each day as your last as one day you'll be right !!
D41

Post by D41 »

Yeah, it's weird....and no, she's not a minor.

A few things have been happening lately....I received an anonymous letter from one of my Dad's neighbours expressing concern about the state of his house....how he found my address I'll never know??

Then Social Services & the Police went and whisked him off to a home for the elderly who suffer from dementia....and now this. I think he'll end up staying in the home....my cousin has been fairly active in bringing all this stuff about.

But a frickin' boat??....she's gone nuts.
D41

Post by D41 »

Well, they went for it....her & her husband were arrested on Thursday....I swear, I had warned her that what they were doing was gonna end up landing her in gaol, and that the police wouldn't be calling me unless they already something on the pair of them......she was whining about being in a cold cell for 7 hours....try 7 months....no more egg & chips for you!!

She claims she doesn't know why she was arrested....and I believe her - she just not that bright.....Rich, maybe you could advise of the possible charges.....she had herself added as power-of-attorney over my father's estate, and then started spending the cash. Dad is 86, and suffers from dementia.

Charges over there often carry different names.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

You can't just add yourself to a power of attorney. It's a proper legal document and has to be witnessed and registered with the OPG.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

It's not my area of expertise. I presume it'll be something under the Theft Act - obtaining property by deception (fraud) or something along those lines.
bb41
Your Bike: GSXR750

Post by bb41 »

I suppose it will depend on how long it's been going on and how much is involved
Live each day as your last as one day you'll be right !!
D41

Post by D41 »

duke63 wrote:You can't just add yourself to a power of attorney. It's a proper legal document and has to be witnessed and registered with the OPG.

True....she did it about 3 years ago, before he'd been diagnosed....but there's no doubt he was already suffering.

She really is an idiot....no concept of reality at all, and the husband is in a similar league.
Rich, you asked earlier about me being responsible....yes, to an extent....I'll end up having to pay for at least a portion of his care....not me personally, but through his estate..

I'm trying to be as diplomatic as possible about it....after all, half of this would one day have been mine.
But, several big changes will take place....first off, I'll be starting to wrap things up here, and then sometime in the first quarter of 2015 I'm moving back to the UK....that'll be a culture shock - I've spent more of my life here than over there.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

D41 wrote:.....no concept of reality .......
:? & you expect us to believe she is a relation of yours.?? (giggle)
D41 wrote:..... sometime in the first quarter of 2015 I'm moving back to the UK......
(wait) Matthew.!
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

[quote="D41

.first off, I'll be starting to wrap things up here, and then sometime in the first quarter of 2015 I'm moving back to the UK....that'll be a culture shock - I've spent more of my life here than over there.[/quote]

That's all we need, another immigrant coming here for our benefits :D