Work

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Re: Work

Post by D6Nutz »

.Image

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

D6Nutz wrote:Slightly pissed off. Started the new job this week, all on the basis of 2 days in the office.
Found out on weds that there has been a mandate passed down from on high they everyone has to be in the office 3 days.

FFS.

Well that went well ImageImage

After just over 2 months it was obvious that the actual job was very far removed from the advertised role. That combined with the 3 days in London was both shit and expensive.

I quit on Tuesday.

Back to looking for contracts.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Happy hunting
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

D6Nutz wrote: 22 Jun 2023, 07:50
After just over 2 months it was obvious that the actual job was very far removed from the advertised role. That combined with the 3 days in London was both shit and expensive.

I quit on Tuesday.

(wait)
Whilst looking at the various positions you may consider applying for, a wise sage on here made some pertinent observations..: viewtopic.php?p=164479#p164479
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

StMarks wrote:
D6Nutz wrote: 22 Jun 2023, 07:50

I quit on Tuesday.

(wait)
Whilst looking at the various positions you may consider applying for, a wise sage on here made some pertinent observations..: viewtopic.php?p=164479#p164479
Honestly, I'd love to quit IT. However there is little else I'm qualified and experienced enough to do that would earn enough cash to pay the bills.

This is why I think connecting suits me. I'm comfortable with the risk, the money is good, and if people piss me off I can just leave and find another contract. Easy come, easy go.

Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

I'm peeved.

Manager walks in, "why aren't these [customer] batches made?!"
Me: "Because I've had to prioritise the Audit"
Manager: "But these have been on your desk for 2 weeks"
Me: "Yes. And last week I got 2 batches started which took a while due to machine break down"
Manager: "Who fixed it?"
Me: "I did as that's been your preference in the past"
Manager: "Just to go [maintenance manager] and tell him to get it fixed ASAP"
Me: "......"
Manager: "I've now got to go to [his manager and manager's manager] and explain why we're so far behind"
Me: "I've done everything I can and ensured we've stuck to process"
Manager: "But there are work arounds"
Me: "......"

This is all since team meetings where he has explicitly stated "this gantt chart shows how long it will actually take to do development and therefore this is what can be achieved - if it takes 3 years it takes 3 years".

So yeah.. I'm peeved.

TLDR: My manager's mind changes like the weather and is telling me I should have worked out of process to fulfil ridiculous and not achievable deadlines due to no one knowing how to say "NO"
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I used to work for someone like that. She would give me my week's work on a Monday, then throughout the week constantly give me urgent top priority stuff.

Next week she couldn't' work out why I hadn't done the stuff she gave me last Monday.

You can't win with people like that.
Cav

Post by Cav »

That's exactly it. It's generally better more of the time since he's moved office to another building down the road, except when it's worse, it's much worse.

You're right, you can't win. I just held my ground with him and when he started repeating himself I bit my tongue.

Ultimately, there is far more work than our team can deliver on time and within process. Either, say no to work coming our way, get more engineers (or technicians who can help alleviate our work load), or stick to your word. I'm not willing to work against process to appease others, it's my name on the documents.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

people leave crap bosses not companies
Cav

Post by Cav »

You know how a child will keep asking different people until they get the answer they want?

That's what this shifts Cell Leader keep doing. He first asked me last week and I said no. He asked a colleague while I was in a Teams meeting later that week - my colleague said no. We then worked together to create a permanent and interim solution.

Just now he's come into our office in a foul mood, ranting and ordering them to give him the list he wants to which I attempted to re-explain the situation and decision we came to to him. He kept talking over me. "I've just made 2 batches of scrap because I don't have this list" he kept saying. Well then you need to follow the **** instructions you've been given!

Him: "Why does this job card not have the right details?!"
Me: "Because the job was printed before the update. We told you, if you aren't sure about anything come to us!"

Him: "why wasn't this communicated?"
Me: "It was communicated to YOU"
Him: "No it wasn't"
Me: "We literally had a face to face conversation in this room"

Absolute **** child. He's a work-shy prick too, just always coming in and barking orders.

As I type this he came marching to the office door, checked who was in the room (just me) and walked off.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Sorry for the vent but people like him are the reason we get so much shit wrong at our place. Our operators are not skilled workers for the most part and they will cut any corner they can, this list he has is going to trigger the start of new corner cutting wwhich will lead to substantial amounts of scrap and customer complaints.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Don't you just love it when senior management make numerous contradictions in a large meeting in a short period of time.. what a crock of sh!t haha
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I take it others noticed?
Cav

Post by Cav »

Yeah there was a lot of eye rolling, sighs and deep breaths.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Just doing as I'm told... ignoring the terrible business decisions being made.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

If you can accept that way of working you'll find your stress levels dropping pretty quickly.
Cav

Post by Cav »

You're absolutely right... however... it only contributes to the problem.

I call that approach to work the 'lifer's strategy'
Cav

Post by Cav »

I've had the equivalent to my Wife's "it's fine" by my boss today.. regarding 3 hours I've accrued from unpaid overtime in the last week yesterday I requested an early finish today. He replied late this morning with, "do what you need to do - we will talk about this tomorrow".

What he doesn't know, because he doesn't ask, is that I'm very close to needing a mental health day off work but instead I choose to keep coming in and doing the best I can for him and the company.

We are so over worked.

We had a company-wide business update meeting 2 days ago telling us that we've all been working hard but we're behind targets and need to work even harder. Right at the end the CEO tossed in the comment, "we're doing better than last year, just far short of our targets" before reiterating we all need to work harder.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Oh, the reason for the extra time in the last week is to try and meet one unreasonable deadline which I failed miserably on due to more stupid business decisions (remove jobs from machines which are for customer orders and replace them with 60 change overs to make product with a shorter cycle time in order to satisfy targets, these 60 would go to stores after manufacture, not customers).. I had to stop what I was doing to assist.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I take it you're still job hunting?