Work

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Work

Post by Kwacky »

I've had to come in today as I'm away on Thursday. My boss insisted. But he's tied up with a case so it's unlikely he'll get chance to speak to me today. :@
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

I'm still working my way around the build lines at our place and I'm genuinely gobsmacked at some of the recent changes made.

It doesn't take a genius to spot the fundamental flaws in the new layout and when asking an open question for feedback it was unanimous, "give us the old layout. It wasn't great but it was better than this sh*t!".
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Cav wrote:I'm still working my way around the build lines at our place and I'm genuinely gobsmacked at some of the recent changes made.

It doesn't take a genius to spot the fundamental flaws in the new layout and when asking an open question for feedback it was unanimous, "give us the old layout. It wasn't great but it was better than this sh*t!".
I'm probably wrong, "but"......

Firstly, people don't tend to like change in their working practices (get used to the status quo) so often take a while to see the positive in changes.
Also, sometimes radical changes may have been made as a pre-cursor to subsequent planned changes, that ( only when then implemented) will make it all work better. -The minds behind the changes may have the reasoning for the changes, without having yet divulged it.
Then again, the "minds" behind the changes may simply be out of touch with the best practices of the workforce involved....
Either way, imho ^ they may be the ones to address your questioning at, before you "go public" with your concerns.?
Cav

Post by Cav »

I'm in complete agreement with you, but I came to the same conclusion before the completion of one build.

There's been an attempt to make it like an automotive production line but it's awful. It is so far away from the concept that they lost sight of it.

They've added segregation and made the whole line less streamlined than it was previously. I've requested a time study of the new layout to get numbers on the layout change and have ideas on how we can improve it, should the numbers indicate change is required.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Well the saga continues.

I got a call on my way home from my mate that works at Sydney Water, the same site I was going to. He had caught up with the Head of Production at another site and asked if he could discuss what had happened with him. He was more than happy to do so and had been bemused why his selection of me had been over ruled by HR.

From that I’ve been asked to write an email detailing my situation and clarification around my current status with my spine and the clearances I’ve had to be back offshore. Also details of the physical activities I do offshore and as part of the Emergency Rescue Team.

That’s done and sent

The Head of Production still wants me in the role and is going to take HR to task.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Cav

Post by Cav »

That's fantastic. To have, what could be, your manager defending you and doing much more than he needs to do is a great sign. Fingers crossed someone in HR has the balls to apologise to you for the way it has been dealt with and they will look to improve their future recruitment process.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

https://youtu.be/aObZJN9zDtA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:D
Cav

Post by Cav »

Just had a meeting put in my calendar tomorrow titled, "Interview Outcome".
D41

Post by D41 »

(y) (y)
Best of luck to you, Cav.
Cav

Post by Cav »

I was unsuccessful.

It was down to my technical build knowledge, which I know is my weakest as I have spent nearly all of my 2 years here in Calibration and not Build.

On the flip side, my Manager used my application for the job as a leveraging tool to promote me to Senior (senior by skill and pay but not by title). This means a pay rise and a bonus scheme.

In balance it's good, I'm still happy, just wanted to branch toward management.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Clouds & silver linings, and all that Cav' :?

I would see that as a positive win mate. Imho it's far far better to come away with those benefits, than to be promoted to the post only to discover that your "limited technical build knowledge" made the new role stressful for you.
Doubtless you would have coped with any challenges it raised, but there will be plenty of opportunities in future. Meanwhile you can continue to enjoy your family without taking home an increased stress burden from unforeseen challenges.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Yeah I'm inclined to agree with you :) Pay rise and bonus without any additional responsibility from what I already do. It's satisfying to have been promoted, I don't know if I would have been if I didn't apply.
D41

Post by D41 »

Cav wrote: On the flip side, my Manager used my application for the job as a leveraging tool to promote me to Senior (senior by skill and pay but not by title). This means a pay rise and a bonus scheme.
A pay rise says it all - job titles don't pay the rent.
Well done!!
Cav

Post by Cav »

You're right, however, a job title to match what you do definitely helps if you find yourself in the job market.
D41

Post by D41 »

Cav wrote:You're right, however, a job title to match what you do definitely helps if you find yourself in the job market.
Indeed.
"Are you really a musician...?"
"No....I'm the drummer!"

:D
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Congrats Cav, glad your hard efforts have been recognised even though you didn’t get the role (y)
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Am I being greedy?

The recruiter who found me my current job role got in touch yesterday. He has a job very similar to mine offering up to 7k more than I'm on now and the job is 1.5 miles from my door.

I am honestly content where I am but in this climate, money is everything and we're tight (I haven't officially received my Senior promotion and pay rise yet). I'm going to talk to the company and go through the interview process and hopefully use it as a bargaining chip for a bigger pay rise. I'm just wondering if I'm being greedy. The job I've been approached for is not a Senior role, it's just an ordinary Production Engineer level.

To provide context in relation to the greediness, I had a small payrise in March (less than £20/month in my pocket) and apparently a 5% raise effective July 1st.

I'm interested to hear what you guys think, particularly Perkles to offer a management perspective (my manager doesn't have visibility of wages FYI).
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Sometimes the best way to get a pay rise is to move.

I think you're doing the right thing by exploring the potential new job, see what they say then discuss it with your current employer.
D41

Post by D41 »

You may be content where you are, but I bet you'll be even more content doing the same thing a mile and a half from home with a big fat cheque in your pocket.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Only thing I would factor in at the moment is the company growth and recession resilience.

Money is getting tighter and redundancies may start to become a thing soon, with these things its usually "last in first out" as it's cheapest.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti