Coventry Public Transport

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Coventry Public Transport

Post by Kwacky »

This seems like a good idea to me:

Demand Responsive Transport (DRT) service

DRT is a bus service without a fixed route. Instead it serves a defined geographic area and will pick up and drop off passengers wherever they like, within that area. Trips are normally booked online via a mobile phone app, similar to a service like Uber (although trips will usually be shared with other passengers).

We have recently launched the city’s first DRT service in partnership with the University of Warwick and are still progressing plans to develop a another one covering the East of Coventry. This will include Binley Business Park.

Unfortunately, the launch of this second DRT service has been delayed by Covid-19. Over the first couple of months of 2021, levels of bus travel across the West Midlands have been somewhere between a quarter and a third of normal levels. However, as more restrictions are eased, we expect that this will begin to rise again.

We still intend to launch this service, as soon as it is viable for us to do so. However, at this point we haven’t committed to a specific launch date.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Re: Coventry Public Transport

Post by Cav »

This seems fundamentally flawed to me.. how will you know what time you'll arrive somewhere?
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

It's the same as Uber, so you can track the closest bus. When you're booking it it'll tell you your ETA.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

I haven't used Uber so not that familiar with the concept. I'm also in a suburb so it's really not that useful for me. Maybe that's why I don't buy into the idea haha
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

It all sounds a bit vague.
An uncertain number of people, a somewhat random & ever-changing series of destinations, etc.
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

I like the idea , I'm not sure how well it will work , how do you plan a journey without a timetable , ie : if I have to be at work on the Binley Business park at 8am what time do I have catch the bus ? If I book a journey and get an ETA and then a load of people book with a destination between my pickup and destination will my eta be delayed or will my journey be completed first maintaining my eta but being very inefficient as the bus would then have to double back ? I also wonder what effect this will have on traffic management .
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

They're only transit van sized buses so you wont have too many people using it. The app will give you alternatives if the DRT can't cater for your needs.

I've not used the app so I don't know if you can book a delivery time instead of a collection time. But it's being used in Warwick with good feedback

It's not getting rid of other bus and train services. It's in support of them. So if you were using a bus service from say Coventry city centre to Binley then you would continue to use that service. The DRT doesn't appear to cover long journeys.

You're all a bunch of negative ninnies who don't like new stuff (lol)
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

I'm not , I just have questions .
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

It's working well in Warwick so it's being extended to parts of Coventry by the end of the year.

DRT is a bus service without a fixed route. Instead it serves a defined geographic area and will pick up and drop off passengers wherever they like, within that area. Trips are normally booked online via a mobile phone app, similar to a service like Uber (although trips will usually be shared with other passengers).

Transport for West Midlands launched the city’s first DRT service (branded as WM On Demand) in partnership with the University of Warwick earlier in the year and are still planning to extend this to cover the East side of Coventry before the end of 2021.

This extended service will include Binley Business Park and we expect to be able to provide much more detailed information about it, including when it will launch, how much rides will cost and the precise details of the areas that it will operate within, very shortly.