World Politics Stuff (not brexit)

Topics covering world politics and political events. To hide this section go to your control panel and join the group "Hide Politics"
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Re: World Politics Stuff (not brexit)

Post by D41 »

So you'd agree that as far as saving money goes, it's just "people being people" rather than based upon location, nationality, etc.?

$400 in savings sucks BTW...I have more than that in my sock drawer.
Stonesie
Your Bike: BMW R1250GSA

Post by Stonesie »

It's a world of credit, I have only recently wrangled my own credit into some kind of order and now have a reserve fund of about £500 (Growing weekly) along with minimal credit card debt.

Since paying off one card I am getting multiple offers for bigger and bigger loans from that company at very tempting interest rates... Almost as if they want the poor to stay in debt...
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

D41 wrote:So you'd agree that as far as saving money goes, it's just "people being people" rather than based upon location, nationality, etc.?

$400 in savings sucks BTW...I have more than that in my sock drawer.
The USA always makes claims about being the land of opportunity and personal wealth but the facts don't bear that out.

The UK is just following the same sad route.

The more pertinent point is about a third of all dollars every printed, were printed last year. No doubt the UK is similar

I do know that over 90% of all UK Government borrowings last year were from the Bank of England and it printed over £1 trillion last year.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

This is a map showing high speed rail links built in 10 years in China.
And how long is it taking the British to build HS2?
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

duke63 wrote: This is a map showing high speed rail links built in 10 years in China.
How many Chinese workers weren't paid or died making it?
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

I do realise I hark on about it a lot (blush), but imo we are looking at a new world order in a relatively short timescale.
Egypt
Greece
Rome
From the time when their civilisations were technologically leading the world, to them becoming forgotten backwaters, was hundreds or thousands of years.
It seems that the demise of the British Empire will be no less polar, but much quicker. :(
Cav wrote:How many Chinese workers weren't paid or died making it?
please be aware I'm not mitigating relentless progress, but The Black Country is so named for "our" similar reason & not so long ago.?
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

duke63 wrote:Image
we do everything by committee ,we are capable of building anything ,the Chinese are told what to do and they do it
I worked closely with a young Chinese lady for many years she would never go back to China and much prefers the UK way of life
I still prefer to have some freedom, I like sweet and sour prawn balls though
D41

Post by D41 »

duke63 wrote:Image
To be fair, China is starting with a relatively clean slate.... the country itself has a lot of open space to build in/on, and they're importing much of the technology, then copying it.
The existing British rail network was never planned with high-speed trains in mind, yet they still did very well with the HST rolling stock. Any new system will be vying with the one already in place, and which already occupies the best spots, or at least the most optimum spots of the day.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

They probably don't care if houses are in the way either... "your house is getting knocked down next week. MOVE."
D41

Post by D41 »

Eminent domain = imminent doom!!
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Cav wrote:They probably don't care if houses are in the way either... "your house is getting knocked down next week. MOVE."
Is Britain any different in that respect?
StMarks

Post by StMarks »

duke63 wrote:...Is Britain any different in that respect?
Imho yes;, Their approach is that development overrides all else (as was the British greed driven system of the Empire ).
Our approach now is that everyone has a valued opinion.
I'm not saying the ruthless approach is necessarily better (ask Perkle's friend), however there seems little point in denying that it is far more conducive to "progress".?
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

StMarks wrote:
Imho yes;, Their approach is that development overrides all else (as was the British greed driven system of the Empire ).
I'm not saying the ruthless approach is necessarily better (ask Perkle's friend), however there seems little point in denying that it is far more conducive to "progress".?
I'm not so sure about that StM... Ask the people that have had their houses force purchased or outlook ruined so HS2 can pass... Or how about the people living next to the new Brexit carparks..... Or how about the farmers that have had their farms bought from under them on compulsory purchase orders so houses can be built on the land..

The British greed is still strong, and recent events have shown that our government is only too happy to help others (mainly their mates) to make money in any way possible.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
StMarks

Post by StMarks »

D6Nutz wrote:...... Ask the people that have had their houses force purchased or outlook ruined so HS2 can pass... Or how about the people living next to the new Brexit carparks..... Or how about the farmers that have had their farms bought from under them on compulsory purchase orders so houses can be built on the land..

The British greed is still strong, and recent events have shown that our government is only too happy to help others (mainly their mates) to make money in any way possible.
I utterly agree with you, however respectfully would like to point out that much of the reason that HS2 is still only a project, and those inconvenienced have some voice, may primally due to that "greed driver" being constrained by our current social structures.?
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

While we're on the subject of greed and corruption.
Fifth of UK Covid contracts ‘raised red flags for possible corruption’

Report finds ‘apparent systemic bias’ in award of lucrative PPE deals favouring firms connected to Tories
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... corruption" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

D6Nutz wrote:
StMarks wrote:
I'm not so sure about that StM... Ask the people that have had their houses force purchased or outlook ruined so HS2 can pass... Or how about the people living next to the new Brexit carparks..... Or how about the farmers that have had their farms bought from under them on compulsory purchase orders so houses can be built on the land..

Most people I spoke to who owned land,factories and houses next to hs2 where I worked in Birmingham for many years cashed in big time
I would rather live in the uk than China and most countries I’ve visited and I’ve visited a lot
duke63

Post by duke63 »

I would still bet good money that in 25 years time rail travel is the main form of transport for journeys of more than 10 miles as it can be done almost free of emissions and move many people quickly.

In France there is a move to ban internal flights where the rail journey can be done in less than, I think, 2.5 hours.

Climate change is what will drive future travel and not individual convenience.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

My original post was really to highlight how when the will is there, man can do things very quickly and efficiently until others have personal agendas.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Imagine being the indigenous people in your Country yet being treated like a second class human and being told history only started when the English arrived?????????

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-56544429" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

duke63 wrote:Imagine being the indigenous people in your Country yet being treated like a second class human and being told history only started when the English arrived?????????

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-56544429" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Being from a neighbouring country and a whole different approach to the indigenous people (through NZ’s history is far from perfect) I find the Aussie history and treatment of its original land owners pretty horrific.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.