Front brake lever guard

The news and your views about biking
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Front brake lever guard

Post by Kwacky »

I didn't realise these were mandatory on track days from next year.

I wasn't aware riders banging fairings and hitting brake levers was a big issue.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Re: Front brake lever guard

Post by StMarks »

Fwiw I've had one almost since they were introduced widely (about 2008'ish). Most fads are gimmicky, but I felt that those were actually a bloody good idea.
Yes, it's highly unlikely that it will ever actually serve it's intended purpose, but I reckon it's still a better investment than a lottery ticket for me.
Kwacky wrote:.....I wasn't aware riders banging fairings and hitting brake levers was a big issue.
wrote:
. wrote:I find this a bit random, why now? Has there even been any cases on track days where a accident could of been prevented by using one?
Yes, a fatality at Snetterton earlier this year and I think one somewhere else too possibly.
On FB the guys mate and a guy following the incident on track both said a lever guard would've probably prevented it.

I guess MSVT have a duty to investigate incidents and if they can reasonably make adjustments to prevent it, then they are required to do it. I would imagine if the outcome of any investigation identified a lever guard as a way to mitigate it, and they didn't do it, their insurance company might decide to not cover or hike premiums which would increase circuit hire costs, TD booking costs, etc.
Hth
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

I can see it for racing- that's why they're there.... seems like it's overdoing things for a TD....at least at novice level, if not the other groups.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

It should never need to be used on a TD but it's a good idea to have a guard.

How often do we use seatbelts? Still a good idea to have them.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

D41 wrote:I can see it for racing- that's why they're there.... seems like it's overdoing things for a TD....at least at novice level, if not the other groups.
If there is even a minor risk, e.g. has been proven to cause an incident before, and you don't mitigate against that risk, you can be held liable.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

kiwikrasher wrote:
D41 wrote:I can see it for racing- that's why they're there.... seems like it's overdoing things for a TD....at least at novice level, if not the other groups.
If there is even a minor risk, e.g. has been proven to cause an incident before, and you don't mitigate against that risk, you can be held liable.
It's a trackday...it's inherently risky at some level or other. If there was a pattern of accidents attributed to "lack of lever guard" then I could see it....but only one or two instances??
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

welcome to the wonderful world of "if there's a claim there's blame" litigation.

The track day organisers will want to do all they can to lower their insurance premiums and avoid having to deal with claims.

It's easier for them to tell riders to have a guard than it is to tell a court it's only happened a couple of times.

No one moans any more about chain guards.