Old tyre

The news and your views about biking
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Old tyre

Post by rocket »

When the zx636 was parked up it had a brand new rennsport fitted on the back. Now I have intentions of using the bike I'm at a quandary. The date on the tyre is o4 and I've read they have a 5 year shelf life. I took it to the mot on these tyres I thought it would be like riding on glass but the tyres seemed fine.

I have got a set of part worns to replace the tyres on the bike but I'm not sure if to use the rear or not. I want to replace the front as the bikes weight was on it and it was used on track before putting it away. The rear was on a paddock stand. What happens to a tyre over time ??????
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Old tyre

Post by Kwacky »

They can dry out a bit and go off shape but if you're happy with it then use it
rocket

Post by rocket »

Im going to get the front put on tomorrow so im going to take the rear with me and see what the tyre man says i think its fine heating up ok but ive not pushed it because of the front
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

If I leave a bike standing for a long period of time I rotate the wheel to stop flat spots forming on the tyre's and the bearings.

Regards the rear, if it was me and I had a scrub to put in the back I would change it but then I'm a worrier and it would be in my head the whole time whether or not it was save to push or not.

Not worth saving the use of a scrub IMO. You won't have paid much for the scrub and you bought it to use so IMO use it and avoid the niggling doubt about whether too or not. Not worth the chance to save £40 you have already spent.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Some useful info (y) drop down to section 3 in the attached article.

http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/learn-s ... e-my-tyres
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Change the tyre, they are the only thing that hold your bike to the road.
rocket

Post by rocket »

took it to the tyre man today and swapped the front , the rear i left on going to give it ago. he said when they go off they go rock hard I told him it road ok to the mot heated up and did not feel funny ive also done an hour ride to Doncaster and back and it felt fine he said leave it on it should be ok.
Roadrace
Your Bike:

Post by Roadrace »

I refuse to change tyres until the tread's gone. Regardless of how long they've been fitted.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Roadrace wrote:I refuse to change tyres until the tread's gone. Regardless of how long they've been fitted.
Yea but you raced on tyres taken out of a skip :D
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

I've been wondering about this subject too. My BT023's have been sitting on the Daytona for three years in the garage. Mostly off the ground, or rotated when not. Rode it to get MOT a few months back, and they felt fine, but I didn't go real hard. Still 1/2 - 3/4 life left in them, so I plan to use them for a bit and see. But as soon as they wear out I'm going to give those Metzelers Kwacky keeps raving about.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.