Coronavirus - hype or pandemlc?

Topics covering world politics and political events. To hide this section go to your control panel and join the group "Hide Politics"
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Re: Coronavirus - hype or pandemlc?

Post by duke63 »

Perkles wrote:Read my thread about Italy, if we dont act now were fooked

Some of the photos from Italy are particularly harrowing.

If you are over 65 in the UK it has been decided by those in power that you are expendable if the hospitals get over run by patients. I was told that over a week ago but it's now out there in the public domain.

Politically that will be suicide for the Government but they do not have any other option as they have neglected investment over the last ten years.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

The whole point of the social distancing and isolation Blade is mainly to flatten the curve of its spread. The rationale behind this is that although the same amount of people are still likely to be infected overall the max number of infections will be lower at any giving point in time. This is the only way the health system has a chance of managing the number of patients.

I had to explain to my son last night that although he is right, if he gets it, it will be rather mild, that he can carry it and spread it for up to 2 weeks before he’s symptomatic and how would he feel if he accidentally past it into his 70 yr old grandparents.

That statement finally stopped him arguing with me and keep up the sled hygiene I’ve been trying to drum into them.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Kwacky wrote:Bondi Beach yesterday (facepalm)

https://apple.news/AizE5P6z6S3-_LVdgaQk3tQ
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

kiwikrasher wrote:The whole point of the social distancing and isolation Blade is mainly to flatten the curve of its spread. The rationale behind this is that although the same amount of people are still likely to be infected overall the max number of infections will be lower at any giving point in time. This is the only way the health system has a chance of managing the number of patients.

I had to explain to my son last night that although he is right, if he gets it, it will be rather mild, that he can carry it and spread it for up to 2 weeks before he’s symptomatic and how would he feel if he accidentally past it into his 70 yr old grandparents.

That statement finally stopped him arguing with me and keep up the sled hygiene I’ve been trying to drum into them.
Kiwi not meant in anyway as nasty or argumentative but read my posts again. My suggestion is isolate / quarantine all the high risk people. If there isolated their safe from being infected. If the high risk people who will need to be treated in hospital are isolated and safe then we still flatten the curve and the amount of people critically ill and needing hospital treatment at any one time is still low, but the effect to jobs the economy and the youths education is minimal.
Last edited by Blade on 21 Mar 2020, 07:58, edited 1 time in total.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Kwacky wrote:Blade, have you read what support the government is providing?
Yes but jobs will still be lost, kids are missing out on education and the 350 billion from the money tree could be put to better use imo in much needed areas such as building hospitals, schools , providing more Police etc....

I just dont get why we are protecting everyone when we only need to protect the at risk people. For the majority of people the data says the effects will be mild and they wont be a burden to NHS or take up critical beds in hospital so the curve is still flattened. The high risk people wont be infected due to my proposed reduction in social distancing as they are isolated from the general public in self quarantine in their homes.

Our limited resources should be focused and targeted not carpet bombed. The after math of this will be huge and it could be lot less. Think of the austerity to come in future years as we pay back the £350 billion we havent got, which could have been a much lower sum if the resources were applied more specifically.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

The only way to stop this from spreading is to isolate everyone. It's not difficult to comprehend. If there are no carriers, the disease goes.

It's a few weeks of inconvenience to save thousands of lives.

Sometimes people have to stop thinking about just themselves and look at the bigger picture.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

In more positive news this is a great idea. They may even make them cheaper and more efficient.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/51975690
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

And another company showing it's compassionate side
Attachments
IMG_20200321_080338.jpg
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

I think the idea is to isolate anyone who can carry the infection rather than just those who are most likely to become symptomatic.
Older people usually have a much weaker immune system than they did in their prime. Younger people are carrying it without it causing them too much distress...their interactions with others, the elderly in particular, are the main issue at hand.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Kwacky wrote:The only way to stop this from spreading is to isolate everyone. It's not difficult to comprehend. If there are no carriers, the disease goes.

It's a few weeks of inconvenience to save thousands of lives,

Sometimes people have to stop thinking about just themselves and look at the bigger picture.
So what happens in a few weeks. The disease hasn't gone away.

Why is it not sensible to just isolate the at risk groups? Same amount of lives saved.

Who's thinking of themselves?
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I've never seen you change your mind about anything, so there's no point in contributing this discussion.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

The idea of isolating everyone is that the disease becomes isolated and cannot be transmitted across all the population.

It's the only weapon we currently have to fight it.

If the disease swamps the population then hospitals will not be able to cope and it wont just be those in hospital with covid 19 who suffer it will be eeveryone in hospital.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

The peak in Italy was unmanageable be cause people ignored the government and now its chaos and this is first hand from family i have locked away in Rome not what I've read in the media
If you have a health condition you are high risk regardless of age ,I for one dont want to pass it on to anybody let alone some old dear
Sometimes we have to forget about money and do what's right for ours and others health ,this is one of those times
Blade

Post by Blade »

duke63 wrote:The idea of isolating everyone is that the disease becomes isolated and cannot be transmitted across all the population.

If the disease swamps the population then hospitals will not be able to cope and it wont just be those in hospital with covid 19 who suffer it will be eeveryone in hospital.
Not everyone is isolated though. As a critical worker I'm not isolated and therefore exposed to CV19 which I'm fine with. The disease isn't going to disappear we are only delaying exposure.

My point is why delay exposure to the majority who wont be a burden to the NHS and only develop mild illness and be able to carry on or self treat. We need to protect the high risk groups not everyone.

In an ideal world isolating everyone makes sense, but in the real world despite government measures buisness's will go to wall and people will loose jobs in the aftermath. Surely we just protect the at risk groups and let the masses carry on to ensure buisness, education and jobs are not effected unesscarily.

If we protect the at risk people there will be no increase in fatalities compared with isolating everyone.

There is no perfect solution to this and we have to consider the effect of jobs and education in the aftermath as much as temporary virus containment
TriumphFan
Your Bike: Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports

Coronavirus - hype or pandemlc?

Post by TriumphFan »

This is never going to disappear; COVID-19 will be around for years in the same way that all other strains of Coronavirus are still around.

Whether those who get it build up any immunity to it, is the question. It is sometimes advisable to delay quarantine/lockdown to almost allow a large number of people to get it, then shut down until it has run its course, and return to new normality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Blade wrote:
duke63 wrote:The idea of isolating everyone is that the disease becomes isolated and cannot be transmitted across all the population.

Not everyone is isolated though. As a critical worker I'm not isolated and therefore exposed to CV19 which I'm fine with. The disease isn't going to disappear we are only delaying exposure.

My point is why delay exposure to the majority who wont be a burden to the NHS and only develop mild illness and be able to carry on or self treat. We need to protect the high risk groups not everyone.

In an ideal world isolating everyone makes sense, but in the real world despite government measures buisness's will go to wall and people will loose jobs in the aftermath. Surely we just protect the at risk groups and let the masses carry on to ensure buisness, education and jobs are not effected unesscarily.

If we protect the at risk people there will be no increase in fatalities compared with isolating everyone.

There is no perfect solution to this and we have to consider the effect of jobs and education in the aftermath as much as temporary virus containment
Because people cannot be trusted to do the right thing.

Look at the panic buying? Why? Food isn't ( or at least wasn't short) but it is now.

One of the problems with this virus is there is no hard and fast rule as to who is at risk, as no humans had any immunity to it.
TriumphFan
Your Bike: Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports

Post by TriumphFan »

It is definitely the elderly/those with underlying health issues more at risk at the moment, but that may change.

The problem with the guidance as it is just now, and the perceived risk to younger/stronger members of society is that, these people don’t see themselves as being in danger so don’t stick to the guidance. In turn they are the ones who then spread it to the vulnerable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

My 33 year old mate has got it. She's struggling because she's mildly asthmatic. She commutes by public transport from Birmingham to Coventry. She's a manager at a bookstore. How many people do we reckon she's been in contact with during the incubation period?
duke63

Post by duke63 »

The cost to the economy will be far greater if the virus is just left to run riot as some business will boom, most will go bust and many people would be forced to work against their will not knowing if or more likely when, the virus is going to effect them.

At least by closing down, the Government can control both it and the economy to the best extent possible.

Its not as if anyone else in the world or market is taking all the profit at the moment as the whole world is shut down. Its just like a freeze.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Blade thats what isolation is for, the people with mild symptoms will pass it on ,what dont you understand about that ?
We need to smooth out the peak, isolation will help with this
Italy is falling apart because they didnt isolate quick enough ,China did now they have it under control