What did you do to your bike today ??

The news and your views about biking
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: What did you do to your bike today ??

Post by Kwacky »

I had it a couple of times today. I didn't realise it had become a thing.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

That pedestrian was very special. So kind of her to jog across the road as well. The van driver opposite us was pissing himself laughing.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Blade wrote:Sounds great Rossgo (y)

There are some lovely places in Wales. Where are you going too?
Just north of Aberystwyth basically on the outskirts of Snowdonia. From there we will explore the National Park from south to north. We had 2 options either north of Snowdonia of south of it. We picked south because from there we are pretty centralised and can explore anywhere we like :D
D41 wrote:Take her to Anglesey Circuit, Ross. (raaar)
I'm planning too.....she doesn't know this yet though haha

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Kwacky and Frankie sounds like a cracking day. Hope you didn't see any of those busy bodies jotting down speeds and number plates

kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

duke63 wrote:I don't get where this thing of drivers braking when a bike comes up behind them. Where did it come from and why? Stupidity at its best.
It’s universal Duke, same thing happens here, I don’t understand it either. Even if they think you are coming up too quick how the feck does braking hard help that situation at all???
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

I have a theory with this...

If you see someone coming up on you too fast you put yourself in their shoes and think, "sh!t, I need to brake". Your brain then adds 1 + 1 to make 11 and applies your brakes making the situation worse.

So few drivers are aware of what they're doing when driving it's actually frightening
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Cav wrote:I have a theory with this...

If you see someone coming up on you too fast you put yourself in their shoes and think, "sh!t, I need to brake". Your brain then adds 1 + 1 to make 11 and applies your brakes making the situation worse.

So few drivers are aware of what they're doing when driving it's actually frightening
If I see a bike closing in on me fast when in the cage, I wind my window down so I can hear the bike proper, pull as far left as I can and wave them through.

But I usually see them well before they are on my tail because I actually know how to use my mirrors, unlike 95% of drivers.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Cav wrote: So few drivers are aware of what they're doing when driving it's actually frightening
(f1) This
Blade

Post by Blade »

Tested the brakes after a caliper service and pad deglaze and there now nice and sharp again.

The old Honda had not had much use between MOTs and clearly the pads needed a little attention with some TLC (lol)
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Nearly filled my goretex trousers on the way back from running.

It's dark on the lanes and with a car heading towards me it's hard to see Infront. As the car passed the first thing I see standing on the side of the road is a fooking big dear just about to amble across the road.

Fortunately as I flicked the led main beam on it must have been startled as it froze..... Unclench the seat and breath..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Blade

Post by Blade »

First time I read that I thought you were on foot and running (whew)

Close shave and good thinking with the lights (y)
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Blade wrote:First time I read that I thought you were on foot and running (whew)

Close shave and good thinking with the lights (y)
It wasn't thinking with the lights, I didn't actually see the deer into I put the lights up.

Joys of living in the countryside.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Post by Itchy »

So it wasn't my bike, and it wasn't today, but it got me thinking...

A couple of weeks ago I had a quick ride up to the Raven after work. Out of the hundreds of bikes there, by absolute coincidence I park up behind a guy that works in the same building as me!

So we get chatting and obviously we have something to eat because y'know, they do bacon there.

Anyways, fast forward to the point where we're just about to leave and he says I can have a sit on his if I like. So I straddle his 2018 R1200GS very gingerly,mainly being that he's just agreed to part-ex it for a new 1250RT but also that I've heard these are tall heavy bikes.
To my surprise, I can get the balls of my feet down on both sides, and it doesn't feel too cumbersome (from what you can tell from sitting on a stationary bike for a minute!), and as I sat there getting a feel for the riding position I started thinking "well this is nice".
Then he fingered the keyless start button to turn the electronic suspension on. **** me, it felt awesome. Like a controlled bouncy castle!

Now bear in mind that I'd had a ride into Wales the weekend before, and the day long ride with my daughter had left us both sore, aching, and me looking around websites for sports tourer reviews for my next bike.
After sitting on this, and knowing of their potential, I'm getting the feeling that my days of style over substance may be behind me. All this time I've been ignoring them because I didn't really like the look of them, but adventure bikes might well be my next ticket.

I want a bike with power, ability and the comfort to do a full tank's worth of riding without me ending up like an arthritic monkey at the end of it. I'm not necessarily in a position to buy right now, but the 2019 R1250GS is looking rather good.

Well, physically it's not. But I told you, I'm past that now!
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Just get the sx
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Heated grips on
Visor thinking about misting up
Sun directly in my eyes

It must be autumn.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Rossgo wrote:
Blade wrote:Sounds great Rossgo (y)

There are some lovely places in Wales. Where are you going too?
Just north of Aberystwyth basically on the outskirts of Snowdonia. From there we will explore the National Park from south to north. We had 2 options either north of Snowdonia of south of it. We picked south because from there we are pretty centralised and can explore anywhere we like :D
D41 wrote:Take her to Anglesey Circuit, Ross. (raaar)
I'm planning too.....she doesn't know this yet though haha

What's the name of the site Rossgo?

Theres one we pass on ride outs heading north out of Aber. Big eagle at the entrance. Looks nice.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Kwacky wrote:Heated grips on
Sun directly in my eyes

It must be autumn.
^ This. :(
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Kwacky wrote:Heated grips on
Sun directly in my eyes

It must be autumn.
Ditto, fortunately I had a pinlock fitted to the dark visor as well.

Blade

Post by Blade »

Itchy wrote:So it wasn't my bike, and it wasn't today, but it got me thinking...

A couple of weeks ago I had a quick ride up to the Raven after work. Out of the hundreds of bikes there, by absolute coincidence I park up behind a guy that works in the same building as me!

So we get chatting and obviously we have something to eat because y'know, they do bacon there.

Anyways, fast forward to the point where we're just about to leave and he says I can have a sit on his if I like. So I straddle his 2018 R1200GS very gingerly,mainly being that he's just agreed to part-ex it for a new 1250RT but also that I've heard these are tall heavy bikes.
To my surprise, I can get the balls of my feet down on both sides, and it doesn't feel too cumbersome (from what you can tell from sitting on a stationary bike for a minute!), and as I sat there getting a feel for the riding position I started thinking "well this is nice".
Then he fingered the keyless start button to turn the electronic suspension on. **** me, it felt awesome. Like a controlled bouncy castle!

Now bear in mind that I'd had a ride into Wales the weekend before, and the day long ride with my daughter had left us both sore, aching, and me looking around websites for sports tourer reviews for my next bike.
After sitting on this, and knowing of their potential, I'm getting the feeling that my days of style over substance may be behind me. All this time I've been ignoring them because I didn't really like the look of them, but adventure bikes might well be my next ticket.

I want a bike with power, ability and the comfort to do a full tank's worth of riding without me ending up like an arthritic monkey at the end of it. I'm not necessarily in a position to buy right now, but the 2019 R1250GS is looking rather good.

Well, physically it's not. But I told you, I'm past that now!
Test rides in order Itchy.

I would ride a GS an XR and a RS all great road bikes with slightly different flavours.

Not ridden a XR but the RS was a much better road bike than the GS imo and would suit your pillion rides a breeze.
Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Post by Itchy »

Blade wrote: Test rides in order Itchy.
Yes. Yes they are.

I'll probably wait though, a new bike probably won't happen until I leave the RAF in 3 years time. Unless I accidentally buy one!