What do you want to vent about today?

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
bb41
Your Bike: GSXR750

Re: What do you want to vent about today?

Post by bb41 »

Blade wrote:Ebay cu*ts who buy something and change their mind within an hour of the auction ending.

Had lots of bids on an item. The horrible sod who won it won't buy it, as he thought it was free postage. I clearly listed posted at £11.85 Royal Mail 1st class, which was the actual cost to me.

Even if he thought it was free the item was won with a bid of £180 so with postage £191.85 hardly a massive uplift.

Hate these time wasters. Got to relist for another 7 days only to be potentially fooked about again (swear)
I've given up with Ebay, I have had more luck on FB marketplace.

Sold 2 items within 2 hours of listing and collected and paid for in 3 hours .

The fees Ebay are charging just isn't worth my while now
Live each day as your last as one day you'll be right !!
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

I always use the max £1 selling offers on ebay. Seem to get an offer every week.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Cav wrote:
D41 wrote: I'm calm. Thanks for asking
Actually I was wondering what an EPA is??
Enduring Power of Attorney - you control over someone's estate when they are no longer capable. There's no black and white, it's all grey - unless a solicitor is acting EPA then it's all fecking white.
I feel for you, mate. Never let a solicitor get involved in end of life and probate.

We were advised that many solicitors will charge 5% of an estates value to execute the will to probate.

Do not ever allow a solicitor to be a named executor on a will. They want £5k to-resign and reserve the right to still be executor. Theft at its worst.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

This will be my last message on the subject but what actually happened is that the solicitor and wife of the son of the now deceased worked together (colluded?) to take all of the estate for themselves. The son of the now deceased was a tax man who thought he had everything in position but then he passed away before his father and the wife acted solely on a joint EPA (which she wasn't named on) and the solicitor took half of everything for staying quiet and letting it happen.

No solicitor in the country will touch this case so after several years of fighting and near marriage break up between the granddaughter of the now deceased and her husband we decided to drop it and stop trying. The granddaughter received zero inheritance from her father or her grandfather - not even a picture.

Anyway, that's the last I'll be typing about this - you can reply but I won't respond (y)
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Cav wrote:For me there is no moral ambiguity, however, there is (and rightfully so in my view) a fear of people using EPAs to euphonise someone who never wanted that.
A key part of the Assisted Dying law in the state of Victoria here in Aussie, is that no one else can make the decision on the persons behalf. It must be that persons choice and they must be of sound mind. Power of Attorney making the decision is not an option.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Cav

Post by Cav »

kiwikrasher wrote:
Cav wrote:For me there is no moral ambiguity, however, there is (and rightfully so in my view) a fear of people using EPAs to euphonise someone who never wanted that.
A key part of the Assisted Dying law in the state of Victoria here in Aussie, is that no one else can make the decision on the persons behalf. It must be that persons choice and they must be of sound mind. Power of Attorney making the decision is not an option.
I don't like the sound of that because of those people with locked in syndrome or similar being unable to make the decision. Or rather, unable to tell people of their decision.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Cav wrote:
kiwikrasher wrote:
I don't like the sound of that because of those people with locked in syndrome or similar being unable to make the decision. Or rather, unable to tell people of their decision.
Yeah that is an unfortunate situation, but given that up till now no one had a way out, it’s a step in the right direction. I think it’s preferable to prevent misuse of the option by ensuring the criteria isn’t too easy, which was your key point with EPA’s.
If a person is in a condition they aren’t able to tell someone they want to die, they are also in a condition that they can’t tell someone they don’t want to die. It’s not an assumption I’d want to get wrong.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Yes.. granted that's a situation I would want to avoid too but I know that if I had that conversation with my Wife-to-be and hadn't put it on paper that she would be able to relay the decision I made to the necessary people and aid in the ending of my life.

Dementia and Locked-in Syndrome are two things I never want to endure. MND is another one, hopefully I'd be able to write something up before too long and/or take my own life to avoid others having to be a part of it.

You are definitely right though, it's a strong step in the right direction
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

You can't have it both ways, Cav....so far you've got a fear of people making end-of-life decisions on someone else's behalf, and now someone unable to communicate being assumed to be ready for the chop....??
Cav

Post by Cav »

Apologies if I haven't written it clearly but that isn't my belief and this is where the massive grey area comes in. I want the right thing to happen for everyone in their situation.

I don't want people to be able to manipulate a situation for personal gain.
I don't want people to suffer unnecessarily.
I want people to have the right to choose their own 'destiny' and for something to be put in place for those who can't speak up.

Right now it's clearly asking too much of the system but one day I believe this will be the way it works - I certainly hope it is.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Surely if you take away the option entirely, the problem also disappears??
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Dentists. I've only been waiting since January for a wisdom tooth to be pulled. Whenever you try to call the place you've been referred to all that happens is they let it ring and ring. The one time I got through to them they told me a number and I gave them a call, which turned out to be a house number and them having no clue what I was going on about. The max waiting time should be 3 months to hear back. I haven't heard anything back. Getting pissed off now. They then sent it again in June but marked as Urgent this time which should help me out a bit...its been 2 and a bit months since the second referral! I know it's all a struggle and I know they are working harder and harder, but not even a letter just to say they received it. Taking the piss in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Trevorking1964
Your Bike: Honda cbr600rr

Post by Trevorking1964 »

I had a wisdom tooth pulled.
My local walk in centre has a dentist. Flat fee for treatment and pulled it there and then.
In and out in an hour.
Cost me £18. I believe its gone up since. £21 from memory.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I'm struggling at work today. I really don't want to be here. We're supposed to be having a new paralegal join the team today, but she decided on Friday to take another job. A solicitor in another team wants to join us but the company is refusing to give her a pay rise if she moves over. Another guy is interested but I don't think he's suitable.

They've known since January that we need more staff yet here we are, almost September and no one has come into the team.

In the meantime I'm drowning in work, most of it for a new client I've not worked for before so I don't know how they operate and what they want from us.

If I could afford to take a pay cut and do something else I would be out of here tomorrow.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Kwacky wrote:I'm struggling at work today. I really don't want to be here. We're supposed to be having a new paralegal join the team today, but she decided on Friday to take another job. A solicitor in another team wants to join us but the company is refusing to give her a pay rise if she moves over. Another guy is interested but I don't think he's suitable.

They've known since January that we need more staff yet here we are, almost September and no one has come into the team.

In the meantime I'm drowning in work, most of it for a new client I've not worked for before so I don't know how they operate and what they want from us.

If I could afford to take a pay cut and do something else I would be out of here tomorrow.
Could you ask for some more admin support in the meantime, so you can just be concentrating on the legal / clever aspects?

They do sound chaotic.
Cav

Post by Cav »

I feel for you mate.. do you talk to your wife about work and how it makes you feel etc? At least if your efforts are known to be appreciated at home it makes it a bit more worthwhile
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Yep, my wife knows. I told her this morning I didn't want to go into work. I've got some time off coming up so I intend to do feck all and unwind.

As for more staff- we do get people in but we had an issue with some members of staff treating juniors like they're shit so they don't hang about. I made my feelings about that known in public. I might have mentioned I got an email from our head of department, thanking me and another chap for raising the issue.

This is what happens when you get the money men involved. We sold10% of the firm to some bank. All they see are figures. The firm is losing its family feel and we're now seen as nothing more than money generators.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Sorry to hear that. Kwacky. I hope you get sorted.

I'm in a similar place with some of my work though for different reasons and rather than drowning in work, there isn't a lot to do.

Difficult times.
Cav

Post by Cav »

I do recall that now you've reminded me. I suppose you're still looking for alternative work / other partners to join and apply for.

I'm probably not understanding it but I don't get why companies have put a freeze on employment - if they're on probation they're easy enough to lay off if things go downhill with brexit.

My employer has frozen internal and external recruitment, given inflation rate pay rises for the majority and promoted lots of people instead in an attempt to keep them sweet during the hard times.

We have 1 lawyer in the firm and a bunch of patent lawyers, I could always keep an eye out as exceptions are made from time to time, Kwacky?
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Thanks mate but it's a bit far to travel ;)

I'm riding out the storm for a bit. I just wanted a rant as I'm pissed off and feeling pretty low. I'm tired. I need a rest.