Mr Postman

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Re: Mr Postman

Post by Rossgo »

They really should give you warning when they are operating. I think its disgusting to be honest. We pay them to stop crimes not pay them to stand there all day zapping away at motorists. They are effectively adding nothing to the community. We all know drinking is very very bad yet its perfectly legal and there is no limit to how much you are allowed to drink. Maybe coppers should be standing in the pub and counting how many people have then say 3 pint maximum because it may stop people from falling over a curb, breaking their nose and having to use the NHS for their stupidity.

Sorry ranting but I hate how our roads have become. Look at all our motorways now, they have small yellow boxes set to a certain speed restriction and all drivers do now is sit at 50 or 60 in all lanes or worse they slam on their breaks when they see the bloody boxes.

Again don't read this if you don't want to hear a rant haha

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Rossgo, it's a shame I can't bring you into work and show you the damage speeding does to lives. The photos of bodies hanging out of cars, their lives taken because of recklessness, or you sitting in with me interviewing a police officer, crying his eyes out because he still remembers the look on the kids faces when they heard their mum was never coming home. Or sit in a coroners inquest when the whole family has to hear about the condition of victim, found at the roadside, struggling and fighting for life as police and paramedics spend almost half an hour to try and save a young man, only to fail. Tales from police, paramedics and firefighters about the mental issues they've suffered attending some of these accidents.

All caused by excessive speed.

Fatalities on our roads have been on the decline for some time. Let's keep that going.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Completely off the postman topic but definitely valid comments being made. I understand and sympathise with both sides of the discussion (rossgo and kwacky). I understand that Rossgo sees dwindling numbers of emergency service staff and petty things such as small number plates being enforced and that frustrates him and I also see how the emergency services are overstretched and can only focus on a limited number of subjects and the knock on effect of said subjects.

When I've been at my lowest and contemplated ending things it has always been in the back of my mind that the person cleaning up after me will have to live with what I selfishly decided to do. It's exactly the same with accidents whether reckless or not.

Having said all of this, I still speed from time to time (less so these days) but only where it is 'safer' to do so. I don't even do 30mph in housing estates like most people because I know I could not live with the consequences of hitting a child or pet.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

It's the joy of riding a motorbike - you can adhere to the speed limits when its right and sensible to do so because you know down the road it'll be quieter and you can have some fun.

I've interviewed a few Welsh coppers. They're aware of the grief they get for targeting bikers, but they're proud of the reduced deaths on their roads. A lot of times they'll pull bikers over just to give them a break. Coppers know that riders can get carried away if they've been on the bike for a bit. Stopping them makes them reset their speeds and slows them down. So there is reasoning behind what they do.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Speed limits are there for a reason.

Just because bikes can go much quicker, it doesn't make it the right thing to do. And yes i know i have done it.

Years ago i came across a fatality where a car tried to overtake on a blind bend and ploughed into a horse box coming the other way. the two youngsters in the car hit it head on, had no seat belts on and died instantly ( i found out later). The inside of the car was absolutely plastered with blood, you could not see through the windows it was that bad. I was going to help as i was the first driver to stop but the horse box driver got there first. He stopped me getting to close telling me i didn't want to see inside the car. It was over 30 years ago but i can still see that car as clear as day in my mind.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

It will be academic within ten years anyway as all vehicles will have speed limiters.

I hired a van on Monday for a day. 68 plate Vauxhall and it already has a speed limiter button fitted.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

I've said this before, in 20 years time people will be saying I can't believe people were allowed to drive
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Cav

Post by Cav »

After breaking every PZ2 bit, my only 10mm socket bit and my only bit holder I thought I would buy myself a new set
Screenshot_20190704-105958_Amazon Shopping.jpg
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Monty wrote:I've said this before, in 20 years time people will be saying I can't believe people were allowed to drive
The world is changing rapidly. It always has done and always will. I believe 5g network will allow huge steps further forward.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Tbh although I don't think I want a driver less 5g car myself, after riding in rush hour traffic today, I think 99% of drivers could benefit from driver less cars.

It was a fight out there. God knows how people do it every day. Like kwacky and Nutz I would take the bike every time and even that is not easy, with dodging aggressive idiots, day dreaming idiots, blind idiots and incompetent idiots. Too many cars and idiots on the roads these days and something needs doing as its ridiculous.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

I think Cav is a lot better at explaining than myself to be honest!

Kwacky I sympathise with your involvement and can see why you would get protective over this when you deal with the cases. Don't we have the safest motorways in Europe?

Cav

Post by Cav »

Rossgo wrote:I think Cav is a lot better at explaining than myself to be honest!

Kwacky I sympathise with your involvement and can see why you would get protective over this when you deal with the cases. Don't we have the safest motorways in Europe?

I think what Kwacky was getting at was how something as small as stopping a motorcyclist for a plate can actually prevent something more serious 5 miles further down the road.

I know when I've been pulled by the police I ride slower because I'm aware of their presence.

Motorways in general are the safest roads but all too often I see a bunch of fvckwits about and it is always near junctions
Blade

Post by Blade »

duke63 wrote:Speed limits are there for a reason.

Just because bikes can go much quicker, it doesn't make it the right thing to do. And yes i know i have done it.
Come on Duke, in one breath "speed limits are therefore a reason" the next I got nicked for speeding 3 times in 5 days (wasntme)
Screenshot_20190704-194750_Chrome.jpg
duke63

Post by duke63 »

I put my hand up and it has made me reconsider what I have been doing. I admit it was wrong and I got caught.

The max speeds in France are now very low. Maximum speed on most roads that we would consider A roads is 80km or 50 mph.

If I lived in France any bike with much more than 100bhp would be utterly pointless.
Blade

Post by Blade »

duke63 wrote:
If I lived in France any bike with much more than 100bhp would be utterly pointless.
I think torque is more important in a road bike than bhp.

The GS I rode today makes similar power to my 675 but double the torque.

One thing I noticed when in Wales on unfamiliar rodes yesterday, was the 675 was breathless driving out of corners. Rossgos gixer 750
and Andy's torque monster 1299 would pull away easily.

It's ok if you know the road and know what gear to be in etc.... but on unfamiliar roads a flexible torque engine is a huge huge positive (y)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Torque is for lazy riders
Blade

Post by Blade »

Kwacky wrote:Torque is for lazy riders
Sometimes yes, but on unfamiliar roads it's what drives you out of corners (y)
Cav

Post by Cav »

I agree with you completely Blade... it's why I want a 1000 road bike and a 600 track bike
Blade

Post by Blade »

Cav wrote:I agree with you completely Blade... it's why I want a 1000 road bike and a 600 track bike
Perfect scenario imo (n)
Stonesie
Your Bike: BMW R1250GSA

Post by Stonesie »

That's the GT's thing, stomping out of corners without revving it's nuts off. For a track bike, a Daytona 675 takes some beating.