Rsv

From a simple respray to a full blown rebuild or restoration, post some pics in here so we can all admire your work.
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Rsv

Post by rocket »

Thought i would make a project topic up so i can keep all my fiddling under one topic ;)

So the Rsv as i bought it

One of the first niggles i have had with the bike is the side stand the original is dreadful, feels like the bike will topple over at any moment even on the flat. So a bit of research turns out a blackbird side stand fits I got one for £11 fitted fine but you do have to drill a hole in it for the side stand switch to work.

The throttle cables were slack and needed replacing. Priced them up and they were £40 so started looking at quick action throttles. I had one on my track bike and really liked it. Then it dawned on me I still have one. So took it off the track bike shortened the cables as they were to long and fitted it. After going out for a good ride today it feels like a different bike with the qa throttle on. I have got to be a little careful in the damp as its deceiving how little turning the throttle takes to be wide open but it feels great.

As some will know on the last ride out my bike started shutting off randomly towards the end of the day. So I'm in the process of trying to find out what is causing the problem. I had a trouble free ride today until on the last road home. I could feel the bike stuttering not a total shut down it stuttered then carried on it did this a couple of times and then 2 minutes down the road felt like it was not pulling right through the rev range cleanly. The idea of going out today was not to have fun (devil) but to use the petrol in the tank so there was not as much to get out as im going to see if there's any debris in the tank or filter.

Also tightened my chain up today as it was really slack , Found changing gear alot smother and no loud banging from the chain slapping all over the place .
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Re: Rsv

Post by Perkles »

I love RSV,s ,cracking bike look forward to seeing what you do with it
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

It's a nice bike and you get a lot of kit for your money.

Bling it up!
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Great bike (y) and can say from experience it shifts a bit 8)

What plans have you got for the project ?
Monty
Your Bike: 2010 ZX6R

Post by Monty »

Cracking bike, always fancied one. Especially this one although I appreciate the colour scheme is a bit marmite.

Looking forward to hearing them new cans on the next ride. I'll never forget the noise following 8 RSVs and Tuonos all with Akrapovic systems through Petworth (high walled medieval town)
Monty™© MCMLXXII
rocket

Post by rocket »

I like the above colour scheme it looks different.

Don't have any jaw dropping plans at the moment but once i start modding i sometimes can not stop i have a problem.

blade It does not feel fast it's quite deceptive sometimes how quick your moving i think its cause the power is so linear and its quite as a mouse at the moment.
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

2 mods you have to do (now you've got the sound system sorted)

After-market rear-sets, if it hasn't already got some. This is a nessesity for safety as its the only way of curing the issues with the rear brake ;) I've got Aprilia Performance rear sets on my and can recommend them, I'm really happy with them.

Gearing. I think I'm running 15/42 at the moment, it's fantastic fun on the back roads.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

http://www.rsvr.net/win-another-set-of- ... 14091.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

;)

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
rocket

Post by rocket »

I'm not really a lucky person but I may give it a go.
Blade

Post by Blade »

rocket wrote:I like the above colour scheme it looks different.

Don't have any jaw dropping plans at the moment but once i start modding i sometimes can not stop i have a problem.

blade It does not feel fast it's quite deceptive sometimes how quick your moving i think its cause the power is so linear and its quite as a mouse at the moment.
That's the beauty or draw back of twins depedning on how you few it (lol)

You look down and the speedo is a good 20 mph quicker than you thought it would be. Twins make fooking quick seem like your just cracking on a bit :P their very deceptive (mm)
rocket

Post by rocket »

Bought some bits for the bike , longer leavers as the short ones don't fit my hands and managed to win some track fairing on eBay.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

You got a paint scheme in mind for the fairings?
rocket

Post by rocket »

Don't know yet just thought I would save the originals when doing trackdays.
rocket

Post by rocket »

So today it had

A service
Installed the exhausts so the throttle boddies could be balanced with them on
Map updated to make sure it was no the correct map for the mods
New chain and sprockets 1 down in the front 2 up on the rear
Generator replaced and one of the brown connectors removed and the wiring checked
Suspension set up/tweaked ( forks had different settings on (giggle) )

All happy just need some dry weather to try it out
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

2 down 1 up is great fun, that's what I'm running at the moment. It also makes the bike easier to ride in town.

Would be interested to know how the gearing works with the quick action throttle.

Blade

Post by Blade »

If you want to find out for yourself Nutz just twist your throttle quicker (facepalm)

Sorry couldn't resist (lol)
rocket

Post by rocket »

D6Nutz wrote:2 down 1 up is great fun, that's what I'm running at the moment. It also makes the bike easier to ride in town.

Would be interested to know how the gearing works with the quick action throttle.
The quick action is easy to get used to , the lad that did the work went for a test ride and said its the best quick action he's used very easy to get used to and said he did not normally like riding bikes with them on. I was a bit puzzled then he showed me the quick action throttle on other bikes and they did feel quite stiff one was horrific. The venhill felt ok but not great.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Nice mods Rocket (y)

When are you thinking of going for a test flight. I might nip out tomorrow night in Derbyshire and a sortie into Yorkshire on Friday morning if you fancy it. Obviously both weather dependent.
rocket

Post by rocket »

Picked up the track fairing and it's not bad but the paint is poor. Now it does not matter but since I'm a tart I was going to do a quick DIY spray job on it. However been to in laws and brother In law has start doing a bit if vinyl wrapping , which got me thinking. So I'm going to attempt to wrap the fairing. It may come out all wrong but I'm goi to give it a go watch this space for photos and fairing getting launched over the fence.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I think Pitty did a vinyl wrap course. I tmight be worth asking him for some pointers.