World Mental health Day

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

World Mental health Day

Post by duke63 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45804225" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is today. Even just yesterday i spoke to a client, who was doing really well up until the earlier part of the year, when he had to stop work due to the pressures causing so much anxiety and depression that he had to step back from it.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I have had issues with the same in the past and as i get older realise that there is far more to life than work and all the bullshit pressures that it brings. Even in my own job, its becoming increasingly just a tick box exercise that gives zero job satisfaction but get it wrong and you get taxed....................sorry...... i mean fined for it.

Look out for friends and relations............mental health problems are not always obvious.

Oh and our wonderful Govt. What do they do for today? Appoint a Minister for the job who no doubt we will never hear from again.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: World Mental health Day

Post by Kwacky »

Yep, it should be discussed more openly. My daughter has anxiety issues. We're getting help for it.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

There's an unnecessary stigma that is all-too-often attached to mental health issues.
Any other part of the body is not entirely well, and you're sick, poorly, ill, etc.....they all garner sympathy.
Mental issues arouse suspicion, hostility, mistrust, etc.
Mental issues are huge in terms of addiction problems...they monopolize it.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

I’ve been pretty open on Tankslap about my own mental health issues, and I deal daily with high anxiety and depressive moods from my son Byron and his ASD.

I’m glad in part I’ve had to experience it as it’s made me more aware of keeping an eye on other people. I’d rather make a pain of myself checking up on someone than err on the side of caution and regret it later.

I’m very lucky I’m with someone now that notices the ‘mood’ creeping in before I do, and has the amazing ability to talk me round.

Look after your mates (y)
Last edited by kiwikrasher on 10 Oct 2018, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

I've been having a look through the NHS mental health page for myself and there's loads of niche stuff, but not much for the straight forward "low mood", "low self-esteem" type of depression. And when your depressed, anxious and worried about money the only solution it to go to a therapist who charges £60/session.

Hope you're all doing well and Kiwi, it's great that you have Jess! :)
Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Post by Itchy »

Kwacky wrote:Yep, it should be discussed more openly. My daughter has anxiety issues. We're getting help for it.
We're also having issues with my daughter. Mental Health seems to be one of those things that people don't really take note of until it affects them in some way.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

I know my wife says peer pressure at school is worse than ever thanks to social media and it really screws a lot of kids up in a big way.

On line bullying is also at epidemic levels.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Cav wrote:I've been having a look through the NHS mental health page for myself and there's loads of niche stuff, but not much for the straight forward "low mood", "low self-esteem" type of depression. And when your depressed, anxious and worried about money the only solution it to go to a therapist who charges £60/session.

Hope you're all doing well and Kiwi, it's great that you have Jess! :)
Go and see your Doctor, Cav. Its what he's paid for. Depression is never 'straight forward'

These things are easier to deal with when you can recognise it yourself. You just need help in learning to deal with them.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I had a text from my brother yesterday asking if I could talk. It was just before I was going out so I gave him a ring.

Poor bloke was in floods of tears. He's really struggling with anxiety. It's almost like a male form of post natal depression. One of his neighbours has been slagging off his business online, saying he's a drug dealer and his business is a front for laundering money. Google and Facebook won't remove the reviews.

This bloke has been in trouble with the police before, he's had a few neighbours complain about him. He's one of those nasty pieces of work who likes to stick his nose in everyones business then gets arsey when people tell him to feck off. My brother has had to get the police involved because this guy has been abusive to both him and his wife, even when the kids have been about.

My brother is worried that his wife is getting pissed off with him struggling, he's worried his business might fail, he's worried the police may think he's a drug dealer and investigate him, he's worried he's not doing enough for his family, he's worried about money, he's worried that the neighbour might get physical with his wife or kids when he's not around. He told me he just wanted to close his eyes and not wake up. He can't cope with it all.

He is seeing his doctor and the community nurse. They've put him on medication which I told him will take a while to work.

So I spent a few minutes chatting with my brother. I felt so hopeless but as the call went on I realised all he wanted to do was talk to someone. Poor sod. His wife is taking him away for the weekend and her parents have got the kids. Hopefully he can unwind a little bit.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

That's horrible.

I really hope your brother gets the right help and that everything with this neighbour can be resolved/rectified. I know a guy who knows a guy...

It's so hard to open up for the first time but it's so important that we do. I'm glad he felt he could reach out to you though and that you were able to listen.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

The route of sorting him out has been discussed, but I've told my brother to keep it all clean and leave it to the police. If the bloke gets a hiding then my brother will get the blame. We're going to play the long game.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Thats sad. To be honest I'd be looking to move away from the idiot. The only way to move his anxiety on is to change things around him and do positive things to achieve that.

If his wife is taking him away she must sympathise and perhaps he can open up to her.

Good for you that you have a relationship where he feels he can talk to you. I dont ever hear from my brother :(

All you can do is support and encourage i guess.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

The western world is in a downward spiral of mental health problems. The issues the wife tells me about that they have with kids at work is frankly terrifying. Police intervention is commonplace.

The biggest problem we have is that the internet is lawless and any prick can use it to abuse and bully others with no fear of legal comeback. It needs changing and soon.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

They have looked to move but it's £10k just to cover the costs of going to another property. Their son is only a few weeks old, his wife has only recently returned to work and they're both self employed so she didn't have maternity pay. It's not a good time for them financially to move.

I'm doing some digging around on the idiot causing the trouble. I've already found him online in various guises.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Rich, she might be able to claim some maternity pay from the Govt. as a self employed mum. it’s not a huge sum but it’s better than nothing. Check she has claimed it and if not give me a shout and I will help her through the process.

It’s called Maternity Allowance.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Cheers Duke, much appreciated. I'll ask her. (y)
Monty
Your Bike: 2010 ZX6R

Post by Monty »

Very sorry to hear that Rich, but it sounds like you are doing and saying the right things to him. It's a long war with many battles, so don't expect him to win every battle or be rational about his fears.

I'm afraid to say from experience the support he will get from the NHS will be utterly useless until anything escalates. They just don't have any money for mental health.

In Sarah's case they did absolutely nothing in terms of treatment until she made an attempt at suicide.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

How is Sarah doing? No issue if you don't want to discuss it.
Monty
Your Bike: 2010 ZX6R

Post by Monty »

She had a very bad Christmas but things are starting to move in the right direction, fingers crossed. New Psychiatrist, new drugs and they do appear to be doing something now.

She managed to drive the car last week for the first time since last September, but she's a long way off going back to work.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Baby steps is key in the early stages. So long as she's going the right way.

My brother is struggling because he was expecting his medication to be an overnight miracle cure.