Africa Twin DCT

The news and your views about biking
R1ckster
Your Bike: Tiger 800XC

Africa Twin DCT

Post by R1ckster »

Hey up peeps... Long long time no see. Probably no one apart from Kwaky knows me on here anymore lol.....

Anyway was passing a Honda dealer and thought I would have a look at the Africa Twin to replace my 800XC (which is the first and only non sport bike I have ever owned). And thought I would give the DCT model ago.

I mean I really went there in the mind set of slating it. Having ridden sports bikes most my life and enjoyed track days, and doing off road on the 800XC (and I don't mean fire trails or gavel paths). I ENJOY CLUTCH... (giggle) No way would I like an automatic. I mean moving from a big bang R1 to a tiger I was already feeling I am aging before my time (but loving it).. And now maybe an automatic bike,, what next...a mobility scooter??????

Anyway.. for those low speed manoeuvres and times when you have to ride the clutch slightly and feather the brakes to get that critical level of drive to keep you balances. How the hell can you do that on an automatic. Surely there would be a jolt or judder at some point to throw you a little... WELL..

After only 5 minutes I got used to not having a clutch. And could not stop grinning from ear to ear. The bike is Sooooooooooooo smooth. In standard drive. pulling away from zero to hero speeds is like one continuous gear.. insane. Sport mode is not bad either. could have held the gears a little longer but its nice. Worst case you can use the paddle shifters for manual change. Even then its butter smooth and lightening fast changes.

Seriously. doing u turn in a street parked up and just pulling away you cannot feel the gear engaging and pulling away. I do 20k miles a year and use my one bike for everything. This is a serious contender on first impression.

I recommend having play on one for an hour before you knock it... I was genuinely gutted when I left and wanted to buy one there and then.

Be interested to hear from long term Africa Twin DCT owners and what they think.. Tales of Woe or Wow...

(y)
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Re: Africa Twin DCT

Post by duke63 »

Not ridden a bike with an auto gearbox yet but the DSG box in my car is so good I wouldn't want to drive anything else.

I suspect a similar level of engineering on a bike gearbox could persuade me the same way.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I know a couple of riders with the DCT version and they love it.

The only issue I've heard of with the AT is rusting on the wheels, which Honda have been replacing without quibble.

I've seen lots of photos of them off road, hip deep in water.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

A vehicle that gets lots of use especially travelling from A to B either for work or similar then an auto box makes so much more sense and ism so much easier to use.

I await the day when road bikes have a seamless box. But I suspect we will see the death of the ICE before then.
R1ckster

Post by R1ckster »

I was enquiring about the Adventure Sport model given it has 24L tank and I so hate stopping for fuel on the way to Stoke from London.. Salesman said these now come with full stainless steel spokes (not treated spokes). The standard AT has Dipped spokes so he stated but the AS version are made from Stainless steel. Not sure how much truth is in that as the wheels like identical to me.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Aren't they tubed tyres as well?
R1ckster

Post by R1ckster »

Kwacky wrote:Aren't they tubed tyres as well?
Erm..unfortunately so. That's a right PITA if I'm honest. But I loved the bike enough to overlook it.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
R1ckster

Post by R1ckster »

There is so much you can adjust regarding the DCT system it's crazy. You can set the level of engine braking you like amongst other things. 7 riding modes. Is well tricked up.

Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

You're in love, aren't you?
R1ckster

Post by R1ckster »

Haha gosh am i that transparent.. mate was a revelation. 20k miles a year on this would be a breeze. The seating position so much better than Tigger. More upright and less reach for my small arms lol.. seat very firm but pleasant. Just...Just.. one day.. one day..

Last edited by R1ckster on 05 Sep 2018, 23:50, edited 1 time in total.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I might ask my mate for a test ride.
R1ckster

Post by R1ckster »

Kwacky wrote:I might ask my mate for a test ride.
Do it... I'm not saying you'll like it. But I loved it.

Monty
Your Bike: 2010 ZX6R

Post by Monty »

GAY!
Monty™© MCMLXXII
R1ckster

Post by R1ckster »

Monty wrote:GAY!
Haha... Image

Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Ric, how did it feel in power terms? I've just looked at the spes and it's kicking out around 90bhp.
R1ckster

Post by R1ckster »

Hiya

yes its not a screamer but will pull up to 120mph well (as i did (giggle) ). It is quite a torquey engine with nice pull from low down. And if I recall it started to red line at 8k rpm. But your already doing ban speed before then in 6th. I am guessing 90mph is its upper end long ride cruise speed.. possibly 100mph. but i guess youd be stressing the engine for long duration. Its not that type of bike. but 90mph is ample. And it sits at it well.

Being 1000cc twin it had a lovely thumping sound even on its standard can.. Would so want an Akro on this..

However compared to butter smooth scream of the triple. The tiger indeed pulled and sounds more like a sportsbike. and off the mark I would possibly say the tiger has the edge slightly. maybe due to the DCT even in sport mode could well have done with holding the gears just a fraction longer before changing. A proper comparison would be to compare the non DCT to the tiger i guess.

But I will say again I was still impressed with the pull and acceleration in conjunction with the DCT system as a whole package. I didnt bother testing all the manual settings but you have 7 riding modes on the Adventure Sport Model (looks beefier and has lots of extra). Levels of TC you can adjust, levels of Engine braking can adjust and other settings. These are custom.. and are in addition to the standard Drive/and various levels of sport mode. Is quite remarkable as a package given its price when you look at a 1200GS with similar spec tech

I would ignore the printed numbers in terms of BHP etc and just try one. I think you may be surprised. for what it has it does deliver it well.
R1ckster

Post by R1ckster »

I have seen youtube vids of folkes hitting 137mph! but iguess thats taking it to the extreme. however it does show that it has the power. My tiger tops out at 127
R1ckster

Post by R1ckster »

In kph below photo. Is 137mphImage

Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

That's a decent top speed for the weight and size of the bike.
R1ckster

Post by R1ckster »

Mate - I was gob smacked. all in all quite a refined package IMO